Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: My week with Windows 10

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks

My week with Windows 10

OK, if you’re using Win 7 or Win 8, Microsquish (M$) has probably been popping up occasional nag notices to upgrade to Win 10 on your screens. So I decided to bite and try it on my graphics computer, especially since they have a rollback feature that is available within the first 30-days. Sorry, I didn’t take any screen grabs.

1. The upgrade was free; but I don’t know how long M$ will offer that to Win 7 & 8 users. Vista and XP users don’t qualify for the free upgrade.
    2. In my case the upgrade went smooth and actually fixed a few things that went hinky in my Win 7 installation. Kudos to M$ for the smooth upgrade.
    3. My programs worked as before. Again kudos to M$.
    4. As with Win 8, Win 10 doesn’t look like Win 7 and earlier; though they brought back the ‘Start menu’ and a few other things I hear they broke/removed in 8.
    5. M$ has finally included an antivirus program as part of the OS, which should have been done ages ago. They call it ‘Windows Defender’ and it is the same thing as ‘Microsoft Security Essentials’ that ironically was originally known as ‘Windows Defender.’ WD/MSE is automatic, and I had to hunt down where it lived so I could put it on my Taskbar for those times I want to manually scan something. I use WD/MSE on my PC’s since it was free and is easy to use without being a resource pig like McAfee and Norton. You can install third party antivirus programs, which will automatically turn off WD/MSE. Uninstalling third party antivirus programs will automatically reactivate WD/MSE according to M$.
    6. Internet Explorer 11 was replaced with a totally new (new looking?) browser called ‘Edge.’ ‘Edge’ absolutely sucks, and IE 11 is still on the system, which can be used instead or another browser (e.g. Firefox, Chrome, Opera [YUCK]) of your choice. ‘Edge’ made it near impossible to pin my Favorites menu to the browser, and when I figured out how to do it, it was on the right side and I prefer it on the left. I could resize the browser window; but I couldn’t make the Favorites window wider. I also couldn’t manually sort the Favorites by name.

To me the last good M$ browsers were IE 8 followed by IE 10. ‘Edge’ in its current incarnation is useless. As I mentioned earlier, IE 11 is still on a Win 10 upgrade installation; but you have to hunt for it.
    7. My biggest gripe with Win 10 is that its look and feel is inspired by smartassphones (probably Android). The graphics for the icons, windows, etc are flat, boring, and hard to read due to their monochromatic and in certain cases overly simplified graphics. There is very little personal adjustment to how the windows look, and it’s generally keyed on the background color. I use a shade of gray that is similar to a photographers ‘neutral gray card.’ The window frames are so thin as to be essentially non-existent. If you’re like me and have multiple windows open, it can be difficult to find a window you want if they overlap. Up through NT 4.0, M$ allowed extensive personal customization as to how the windows looked that it was too much. They’ve been slowly removing the ability to alter the look of windows that they’ve gone to the other extreme. In my case I had lots of light gray on white followed by light yellow on white for controls and tools. Talk about eyestrain. The best way I know how to describe the new Win 10 look is early 1980’s CGA graphics in high definition.
    8. My next biggest smartassphone inspired gripe is the amount of annoying notifications the OS has built in to it. Adobe’s Acrobat reader was constantly nagging me to upgrade from their reader XI (11) to their new ‘cloud’ based reader. An advertisement by any other name is still an ad. M$ did that too and they prominently have an icon to their ‘Windows Store’ (think Google Play and iTunes) on the taskbar to make it easy to go there to buy crap. On the ‘Start menu’ they have ‘Live Tiles’ that update the weather, ads for M$’s Office 365, etc. I turned off all of these annoyances.
    9. Another smartassphone inspired gripe is a ‘lock screen’ that one has to click on or swipe if using a touch-screen device. There is no way to turn this added step off; though you can change the image it displays.
    10. I went looking on the net for 3rd party add-ons to make Win 10 look more like Win 7. I did find a registry hack to turn off the ‘Lock Screen;’ but it didn’t work. There is some stuff out there to alter the look of Win 10; but by then I decided I’d go back to Win 7 and didn’t bother trying them.
    11. Yesterday my system did its full backup; so I went ahead and did the rollback to Win 7 today. The rollback went smoothly, and I only had one icon to put back in the taskbar, which was the WD/MSE icon. Kudos to M$ for making the rollback smooth; but I didn’t install anything during my weeklong use of Win 10. Had I installed new programs; then no doubt I would have had to re-install them once I got back to Win 7.

My bottom line is M$ is trying to make Win 10 look consistent on everything from phones to tablets to laptops and desktops. A laudable goal; but it needs serious work. The simple graphics makes sense on a smartassphone; but on my 30” monitors it was hard to read and tiring to the eyes. I yanked Win 10 off my PC for the same reason I ditched Office 365 before my 30-day trial was up…too damn hard to read. I still use Office 2007 as it’s easy to read. So if you have eye problems that go beyond the normal correction with glasses or contacts; then I suggest staying away from Win 10 until you are either forced to use it for some reason, and/or M$ allows people to tweak the look of it.

I know mobile computing, primarily smartassphones has put a dent in PC sales; but this old dinosaur views his smartassphone in the same manner as a Swiss Army Knife. A great tool to have; but it’s not a replacement for a full toolbox.
    Last edited by mjncad; 11-10-2015 at 04:24 PM.
    RandyM, glc, etcallhome and 15 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mjncad For This Useful Post:

Carvel Loafer (11-11-2015), etcallhome (11-10-2015), farmgirl19 (11-10-2015), Gizmo2 (11-11-2015), glc (11-10-2015), GreenMtns (02-27-2016), grnspot110 (01-10-2016), Heavy Hitch (11-23-2015), Jeff B (12-18-2015), johnH123 (11-10-2015), Levi (11-11-2015), mbowen89 (11-15-2015), MFreund1 (12-18-2015), Old Cajun (11-22-2015), Rope_Chucker (02-11-2016), rtgt (11-11-2015), sterling40man (12-18-2015), SulleyBear (12-30-2015), Zebrafive (11-11-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Thanks
    I've upgraded both the laptops we use here and, once I completed the necessary "tweaks", neither has had any problems at all. We both use Chrome instead of any of the MS browsers and I shut off all of the notifications and had found a link that allowed me to disable all of the tiles and other "mobile-look" nonsense. It's hard to tell the difference between my current setups and what we had with Win7. We have had fewer crashes/system problems though.

Getting rid of the Office 365 notifications was my biggest problem. I have OpenOffice installed on both machines and never plan on paying for anything more than that. After a few tries, Office 365 is now dead.
    mjncad and Gizmo2 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Daveb (11-12-2015)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I've had the same experience as JimR - I did the upgrade some months ago and with 10 minutes of tweaks I have it looking and operating just like good 'ol Win7.

Never even saw a lock screen in my process.....also using Chrome which works fine with my extensions.
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    I'm holding on to Win 7 as long as I can. I know eventually I "have" to go down that rabbit hole for the upgrades to DirectX and gaming graphics.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, grnspot110 and 3 others like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    After seeing and using Windows 10 on the new laptop I'm seriously thinking about installing the free one one my desktop. Figure I'll need to do it eventually.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #6
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I'll keep Win 7 until it will not work anymore. (And may even look for a way to continue to use it then.)
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I'll keep Win 7 until it will not work anymore. (And may even look for a way to continue to use it then.)
    Well FG, My W7 was at that point. Fortunately(Yes I was frustrated with W10 at first) I switched. Look just like W7 for the most part after disabling tablet view and runs MUCH better than W7 ever did. Maybe I just got lucky, or Maybe just maybe MS has finally learned their lessons. Glad I made the switch.... Now anyway!
    Gizmo2, grnspot110 and spferdil like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Thanks
    Been using Win10 since late July and am completely happy with it.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One
    spferdil likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks
    I've been using W10 on my PC about a month now and my biggest complaint is the Edge browser. It's horrible, but I'm a diehard IE user.
    Other than that I'm amazed at the smooth transition.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    Using Win 10 here. Works pretty good. Miss my media center. The edge browser is a little shaky. I disabled the flash software in EDGE, and it seems faster
    John Deere JD 2520, 62D, 53" bucket, 200cx loader, JD Ballast box, iMatch quick hitch, #46 backhoe, Artillian forks, 4 halogen lights with horse blinders, Frontier SB1154 snow blower

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast