Thread: Picture editing app for Macs?

1. Top | #1
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts

Picture editing app for Macs?

I looked up "picture editing" in the App Store and got over 400 results...dadgum.

Can anyone recommend a simple app that will allow me to edit pictures like make circles and add text within the photo? I used Paint on my last computer and it worked pretty good. Fairly simple, easy to use, but it left something on the table. I don't need Photoshop either.

Please, let's not turn this into an Apple vs Microsoft or 'here's what I use but it doesn't work for your computer' thread.
    Old Cajun and UnionSchnauzer like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    dieselshadow likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    ... a simple app that will allow me to edit pictures like make circles and add text within the photo?
    The "paint" equivalent in the Mac world is preview. Once you have an image opened up, go to TOOLS | ANNOTATE and you'll have a several options to draw objects and add text. Under VIEW | SHOW MARKUP TOOLBAR (shift+CMD+A) and you'll have the tool bar to quickly choose methods to annotate.

What do you think, will that work?
    Gizmo2, dieselshadow and 56FordGuy like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RLstangs View Post
    Interesting. I just looked, it's not there as the article suggests... I'm running El Capitan. They must've removed that feature.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Interesting. I just looked, it's not there as the article suggests... I'm running El Capitan. They must've removed that feature.
    I'm using El Capitan, and preview is (or should have been) installed by default. Try this, press command+spacebar (loads spotlight) and start typing preview. The default install location is the applications directory.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks! Another hidden gem buried within this new system I'm learning. I appreciate you guys pointing me around.
    Gizmo2 and 56Nine like this.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, that didn't work.... I tried opening preview. It seemed to work until it locked up. I force-quitted it, reported the issue, now it won't open a photo without crashing. Back to the drawing board. No pun intended.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, that didn't work.... I tried opening preview. It seemed to work until it locked up. I force-quitted it, reported the issue, now it won't open a photo without crashing. Back to the drawing board. No pun intended.
    That's odd, I use it for all quick and dirty editing. Try quitting all apps and restarting?
    Darwin

11. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    My oldest daughter does photo editing all the time on her MAC (a side business for her). She just left for work but I'll ask her.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Can anyone recommend a simple app that will allow me to edit pictures like make circles and add text within the photo? I used Paint on my last computer and it worked pretty good. Fairly simple, easy to use, but it left something on the table. I don't need Photoshop either.
    It sounds like what you really need is an annotation program. I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend SnagIt. It can do basic editing but primarily it is a screen capture program with extensive annotation features. Circles, arrows, callouts, speech balloons, etc. You can grab an image off your screen or open a file on your hard drive. It can save images to most file formats.

It is available for PC and MAC for $49.95

I use the PC version and while I do have the full blown version of Photoshop for serious editing, SnagIt is my go-to application when I'm editing/annotating photos for forums like GTT.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast