Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking for wiring help from some experts

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks

Looking for wiring help from some experts

I need some help finding a solution to a wiring problem in my wife school classroom. My wife is a music teacher so you can guess this time of year is busy with concerts. She has a stereo in her room that she also uses for concerts. She has to haul it down to the gym as well as two of the four speakers. I went and wired the speakers up with bullet connectors so that she could just unplug the speakers in her class room, move things to the gym and plug in the extension wiring I made for her complete with the correct bullet connectors. The problem is that the darn bullet connectors won't stay on. They either slide off, break off, or they are so darn hard to get apart my wife breaks them off and the wire as well. In two weeks I've put 20 new ones back on. The bigger issue is that the wiring is small, 18-20 gauge at most. If I crimp to hard, I cut the wire. If I don't crimp them hard enough, the bullet connectors just slide off. The connectors I'm currently using are these GB Bullet Splices at Blain's Farm & Fleet.

Anybody got any ideas as to how I can make things easy to connect and disconnect without having to put new ends on each time? Is the wiring just to small of a gauge and I should just buy these GB GB-3 Orange WireGard Color - Coded Screw - On Wire Connectors at Blain's Farm & Fleet. Then could just un twist them and retwist once stuff is in the gym? Just looking for a way to make things easier on my wife when it comes to moving stuff for concerts.

Thanks,

Tony
    Last edited by cheesetrain; 12-18-2015 at 12:24 PM.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks

Not an expert

I'm certainly not an expert in this area but if I need something to stay on a wire, I solder it. If it has to be connected and disconnected, I'll wrap the fitting and wire with tape and or use liquid tape to provide some strength to the connection.

I would also suggest bigger wire. 18 ga. is ok if you are hooking it up and leaving it. For your use, I would go bigger. If it's a long run, it will help the amplifier out as well.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I'm certainly not an expert in this area but if I need something to stay on a wire, I solder it. If it has to be connected and disconnected, I'll wrap the fitting and wire with tape and or use liquid tape to provide some strength to the connection.

I would also suggest bigger wire. 18 ga. is ok if you are hooking it up and leaving it. For your use, I would go bigger. If it's a long run, it will help the amplifier out as well.

Treefarmer
    The small gauge is the issue on the speaker wires. I agree it's meant to hook up and leave, but unfortunately that isn't an option. I'm trying to find a third set of speakers currently. Then the four in the room can stay put, and she can use the longer wires I made and the third set of speakers for concerts. Problem is finding speakers that have the correct connections for the back of the stereo that actually sound decent.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

I take it that this is a low priced system with screw terminals on the rear of the speakers. 18G wire is OK for low power systems but there are so few strands it tends to break easily and often. Also, bullet connectors are meant for semi permanent connections such as wiring harness.

I would suggest you replace the 18g with a cheap 2 conductor 120v polerized plug extension cord. Cut the cord in half, strip, tin and attach the wires to the amp and speakers and simply plug the plugs of the cord together. The polerized plug will assure the connections are right.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,026 Times in 2,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post

I would suggest you replace the 18g with a cheap 2 conductor 120v polerized plug extension cord. Cut the cord in half, strip, tin and attach the wires to the amp and speakers and simply plug the plugs of the cord together. The polerized plug will assure the connections are right.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    This.
    Quite a few bands I used to work with (doing sound) just used 12 gauge extension cords for speaker cable-cheap, easy, and readily available if there was an oopsy. You could get by with 14 or 16 for this system.
    johnH123 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,026 Times in 2,508 Posts
    Those are nice! Great price too! Solder and heat shrink the wire connections and they should be very durable.

One thing I thought of after posting that I don't like about the extension cord idea is that this is in a public place, so another person might try to plug into them or worse, plug one into the wall.
    johnH123 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 03:48 PM
    Thanks

Another suggestion

Would these work solder and shrink wrap for strength at joint

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 WIRE.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	100065
    MFreund1 likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GUS FINK View Post
    Would these work solder and shrink wrap for strength at joint

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 WIRE.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	100065

This is what I was thinking, just got beat to it.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Thanks
    I always used regular 18ga lamp cord with 1/4 inch phone connectors as shown::::

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NP2X-2.../dp/B000BDLJA6

Speakon Cable Connector | 2 Pole or 4 Pole | Speaker Cable Connector | Fits 8-16 mm cables Might find a better choice here.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast