how to connect dvd to pc monitor?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By JimR
  • 4 Post By Kennyd
  • 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: how to connect dvd to pc monitor?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks

how to connect dvd to pc monitor?

my folks want to scrap their old fat screen tv. they are planning to put a pc on the table were the tv used to be. however, they also want to be able to use a dvd player with the monitor as well. so, step one was to order a vga splitter cable, and a rca to vga converter cable from amazon. so the stuff arrives and i go to hook it up. i plug the splitter into the monitor, hook the pc cable to one side, and the converter cable to the other side. well, i power it up and it doesn't work. i know the monitor works, but only with pc/VGA input. the monitor has 2 hdmi connections.

any thoughts about how to fix?
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    04-18-2019 @ 07:01 AM
    Thanks
    Also watching
    Current: 3320 HST cab with 59" front blower, Hydraulic chute deflector, Vertical Exhaust, Front Fenders,
    Grooved and loaded Front and Rear R-4's
    External Mirrors, Jensen Bluetooth Radio / Headset. Front Hydraulics
    Whelen warning lights, JD366 front blade
    Gone: X595 with heated cozy cab,stainless vertical exhaust

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    If the monitor has 2 HDMI inputs then unless the monitor is suddenly broken, it will work with them.

Does their DVD player have HDMI outputs? If it does, have you tried connecting the DVD player using the HDMI connections? And is the DVD player on? (Many monitors are auto-sensing and will automatically switch to the input with the powered on device.)

Do you have a make/model on this monitor? Perhaps a quick reading the of the manual will provide the answers?

Also, are you sure you have the right splitter? They aren't all designed to be fully bi-directional and most are meant to connect one PC to two monitors. If that's the case with your's, you can't just reverse it and use it to connect two devices to one monitor.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    If the monitor has 2 HDMI inputs then unless the monitor is suddenly broken, it will work with them.

Does their DVD player have HDMI outputs? If it does, have you tried connecting the DVD player using the HDMI connections? And is the DVD player on? (Many monitors are auto-sensing and will automatically switch to the input with the powered on device.)

Do you have a make/model on this monitor? Perhaps a quick reading the of the manual will provide the answers?

Also, are you sure you have the right splitter? They aren't all designed to be fully bi-directional and most are meant to connect one PC to two monitors. If that's the case with your's, you can't just reverse it and use it to connect two devices to one monitor.
    the dvd player has rca outputs.

the monitor is an asus 24".

here is the splitter:http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-.../dp/B005H3I38G
    here is the converter:Amazon.com: Insten VGA to TV S-Video 3 RCA PC Computer AV Adapter Cable: Computers & Accessories
    -Countyline box blade,
    -RED windrow rake,

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    the dvd player has rca outputs.

the monitor is an asus 24".

here is the splitter:http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-.../dp/B005H3I38G
    here is the converter:Amazon.com: Insten VGA to TV S-Video 3 RCA PC Computer AV Adapter Cable: Computers & Accessories

All of what you are trying to do is backwards.

You say the DVD player has RCA outputs. So what you are trying to do is convert RCA To VGA.

The product description on your VGA-to-RCA adapter says "Note: This adapter will not convert S-Video or Composite Video signal to VGA signal."

The description on your splitter says:

"This Cable Matters VGA Splitter Cable is for splitting a VGA signal to 2 VGA monitors (VGA cables required and sold separately), and provides an inexpensive solution for displaying a mirror image on 2 monitors (that use standard 15 pin plugs) at the same time.

Specifications
    - Input: VGA 15-pin Male
    - Output: 2x VGA 15-pin Female
    - Supported resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, and 1080p (Full HD)
    - RoHS compliant

Important Notes
    - This is a splitter adapter. It can only connect one source device (e.g. PC) to two display devices (e.g. monitor or projector).

What you need is one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-TV-VGA...rds=RCA+to+VGA
    johnH123 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    btw, I should also mention, all of this only takes care of video here. What are you doing to provide them with the audio?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    You can buy a new HDMI equipped DVD player for about $50 nowadays, I wouldn't wast money on an adapter. Heck you can splurge and get a Blu-ray for under $100.

HDMI handles both the audio and video signals.
    glc, etcallhome, spferdil and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    thanks for the replies. i did get it to work by using an older dvd player that i found. they had quit using it because they thought it wasn't working right. i just used an hdmi to go from monitor to dvd player. a vga cable provides PC input.

thanks for all the replies. i guess next time i need to read the descriptions more carefully.
    -Countyline box blade,
    -RED windrow rake,

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    You can buy a new HDMI equipped DVD player for about $50 nowadays, I wouldn't wast money on an adapter. Heck you can splurge and get a Blu-ray for under $100.

HDMI handles both the audio and video signals.
    Kenny is right... it's just not worth it. A 10-second search on Amazon returned $38 DVD player and $50 Blu-ray player.

It's just not worth trying to save that old player.
    johnH123 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements