Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Printer suggestions

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks

Printer suggestions

I have an HP C5500 All-in-One printer that seems to have bit the big one. It worked fine when it worked, but the ink was/is crazy expensive. I read that the lazer printer is much cheaper to operate. I would appreciate any suggestions, as my knowledge in this area is pretty scant.
    etcallhome and Gizmo2 like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (02-05-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    I had my SIL computer guru search for me,,, he found this one for me,,

It is GREAT,, I love the wireless features,, after several reams of paper we are still on the "starter" cartridge,,,

My wife wanted the copying capability.

Robot Check

A replacement cartridge is also SUPER cheap,,, $11

Robot Check
    Gizmo2 likes this.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    Really like my Brother HL3170 CDW it however is just a color printer

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Definitely get a laser printer. HP is still the best printer. You will spend more money on a cartridge, but it lasts lots longer and it does not dry up like a ink jet cartridge. My main printer is a HP black/white laser printer that I have had for 10-15 years and it still works just fine. Cost per page is just slightly over a penny. Doubtful that any of the newer printers will be that economical. Think hard about whether you really need a color printer. Most people really do not need a color printer. I have a separate color printer, but have only turned it on maybe 3 times in the last 2 years. Black/white (mono) printers are much cheaper than a color laser printer and are much cheaper to operate.

Dave
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    I gave up on ink jet 15 years ago and now only use a laser-we don't need color. I've had a 5n1 Brother network printer/scanner/copier/fax for the last 6 years so that's still kicking strong.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I had my SIL computer guru search for me,,, he found this one for me,,

It is GREAT,, I love the wireless features,, after several reams of paper we are still on the "starter" cartridge,,,

My wife wanted the copying capability.

Robot Check

A replacement cartridge is also SUPER cheap,,, $11

Robot Check
    I have a very similar Brother scanner/copier/printer and after a couple of years I would still recommend them. Toner lasts a good long time and is only a little more expensive than an ink jet cartridge. Print quality is great and startup time is much better than an HP that I use. Mine is B & W but they make color as well although that's an entirely different price point. I doubt I'll ever go back to an ink jet printer for B & W again.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Good thread.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    04-18-2019 @ 07:01 AM
    Thanks
    If you have a Costco nearby they can refill your cartridges in a hour while you shop.
    MUCH cheaper. They re chip them so your printer will recognize them.
    Works for me
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Current: 3320 HST cab with 59" front blower, Hydraulic chute deflector, Vertical Exhaust, Front Fenders,
    Grooved and loaded Front and Rear R-4's
    External Mirrors, Jensen Bluetooth Radio / Headset. Front Hydraulics
    Whelen warning lights, JD366 front blade
    Gone: X595 with heated cozy cab,stainless vertical exhaust

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks
    When looking at laser printers keep this in mind. Many times the parts that wear out are built into the toner cartridges. Not all of them but quite a few of them. That is typically what HP always did. Then as more and more people complained about the $200-250 refill kits, they eventually started to split off the toner from these other parts. For home use it isn't as big of a deal. You will likely never print enough to wear one out. At least not in my home.

My Sister and Brother-in-Law are both lawyers and share an office and a secretary with one additional lawyer. They have a secretary/paralegal who likes having a printer at her desk for printing something on letterhead or envelopes and labels rather than trying to run that type of stuff through their big office printer/scanner/fax. I replaced her computer a couple weeks ago and ended up getting her a Dell laser. Probably not the best one out there but for her needs it should work well. At a little under $200 it is basically disposable. The refill toner cartridges in my HP Laserjet 5M cost more than that the last time I bought one. This got me thinking when it dies again or needs a refill, I probably won't fix it. That Dell was cheaper, has all the same options. Network connectivity (Wired built in with optional wireless), duplexer for two sided printing and is 3 times faster at printing (10 PPM vs 35 ppm).
    Last edited by sennister; 02-05-2016 at 07:30 AM.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    I've been using a Brother all-in-one laser printer for about 7 years now. I first bought a Brother for my daughter when she went off to school. Then I bought mine, then I bought my younger daughter the same printer as my older daughter when she went off to school. They all use the same toner cartridge. Overall I've been pretty happy with it.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in, just watch the Sunday ads for OfficeDepot and Staples. They generally run some pretty deep sales on printers every few weeks. Of course, the Brother linked above looks like a sweet deal.

For color, I have a Xerox solid ink printer. It basically uses a big crayon that it melts and puts on the paper. I first bought one back in '99 to use for printing small runs of product literature for my business. It's pretty cool but not something the average homeowner wants/needs. Plus, the consumables are pretty cool.

I don't think there's a "best printer" any more. HP used to hold that position and they dictated the printer standards (you used to have to look for "HP Compatibility") but that's no longer the case.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast