Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Picasa Web Albums Going Away

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,033 Times in 2,513 Posts

Picasa Web Albums Going Away

I know a few members (including myself) use Picasa for online web albums, but now they are going away. Has anyone research a good replacement or started using the Google Photo's?

Picasa Blog

Moving on from Picasa
    Friday, February 12, 2016 10:00 AM

Since the launch of Google Photos, we’ve had a lot of questions around what this means for the future of Picasa. After much thought and consideration, we’ve decided to retire Picasa over the coming months in order to focus entirely on a single photo service in Google Photos. We believe we can create a much better experience by focusing on one service that provides more functionality and works across mobile and desktop, rather than divide our efforts across two different products.

We know for many of you, a great deal of care has gone into managing your photos and videos using Picasa—including the hours you’ve invested and the most precious moments you’ve trusted us with. So we will take some time in order to do this right and provide you with options and easy ways to access your content. We’ve outlined below some of the changes you can expect.

Picasa Web Albums
    If you have photos or videos in a Picasa Web Album today, the easiest way to still access, modify and share most of that content is to log in to Google Photos, and all your photos and videos will already be there. Using Google Photos, you can continue to upload and organize your memories, as well as enjoy other great benefits like better ways to search and share your images.

However, for those of you who don’t want to use Google Photos or who still want to be able to view specific content, such as tags, captions or comments, we will be creating a new place for you to access your Picasa Web Albums data. That way, you will still be able to view, download, or delete your Picasa Web Albums, you just won’t be able to create, organize or edit albums (you would now do this in Google Photos).

One thing to make clear is that none of this is happening today—if you have a Picasa Web Album you can keep using it as normal. We’ll start rolling out these changes on May 1, 2016.

Desktop application
    As of March 15, 2016, we will no longer be supporting the Picasa desktop application. For those who have already downloaded this—or choose to do so before this date—it will continue to work as it does today, but we will not be developing it further, and there will be no future updates. If you choose to switch to Google Photos, you can continue to upload photos and videos using the desktop uploader at photos.google.com/apps.

Finally for developers, we will also be retiring some functions of the Picasa API. Developers can learn more here.

Again, none of these changes are happening today, and we’ll continue to update you along the way. We apologize for any inconvenience this transition causes, but we want to assure you that we are doing this with the aim of providing the best photos experience possible. Google Photos is a new and smarter product, that offers a better platform for us to build amazing experiences and features for you in the future.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I've used Flickr for a few years now - seems like it is turned pretty well to folks with a photography hobby. 1Tb of free space and once you find your way around it is easy to create albums and get to urls for embedding and sharing images. They also have apps that integrate your account for IOS and Android.

I haven't research much anything else but will not have anything to do with any social media sites so I never even looked at Google Photos.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,913 Posts
    Kennyd, I think it's time you had you're own WEB server. Or if not, put the pictures on your WEB site as it is now.
    johnH123 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (03-12-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Kennyd, I think it's time you had you're own WEB server. Or if not, put the pictures on your WEB site as it is now.
    Gizmo is right. The cost of a NAS and a little bit of a learning curve, you could set a small one yourself and be done with it. You can then control your pictures.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillieS For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (03-12-2016)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Shared server space with unlimited storage and bandwidth is cheap -

Website Hosting Services, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers - HostGator
    bhill likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (03-12-2016)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Gizmo is right. The cost of a NAS and a little bit of a learning curve, you could set a small one yourself and be done with it. You can then control your pictures.
    Be careful about backing up your photos though, unless they are not valued.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I use Google Photos. I got sick and tired of constantly getting errors from iCloud that I was out of space because of all of the replicating and backing up of pictures. So, I switched to the Google Photos app and can now store as many pictures in my Google account as I'd like with ZERO space limit. The one "catch" is that I have to allow Google to possibly reduce the picture quality during backup, although I haven't noticed any loss of quality for general picture viewing and sharing (and yes, you can group photos into albums and share them).

If/when you capture that picture that you don't want to lose any resolution on, make a backup of it to a specific place.

You could put all of your photos up on your own web server, and I've done this myself. It's a giant PITA (get the server, install the OS, install the software, ensure everything is secure, etc.), and I have worked with technology for over two decades. The one free album software that I've found that I like is no longer supported and the newer version of it is horribly worse than the version I have.

If you REALLY want to get creative, buy some hosting space that allows for unlimited data transfer every month and unlimited storage space and set up your own instance of OwnCloud software to sync everything.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Exactly right. I highly recommend Synology's NAS hardware. I use the DS1813+ (newer model is DS1815+) but they offer smaller units as well. The software and support is excellent.
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS1815+
    2011 Deere 3720 Cab | 2007 Deere 3720 Open Station | 1974 Deere 2030 | 1980 Deere 2440
    1998 Massey Ferguson 240S | 1975 Ford 3000 | 1972 Ford 2000 | 1964 Oliver 550
    1958 International Cub LoBoy | 1956 Ferguson F-40 | 1954 Allis Chalmers WD45
    X720 Ultimate | X540 | GT225
    2014 825i Deere Gator | 2007 850D Deere Gator

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rod330 View Post
    Exactly right. I highly recommend Synology's NAS hardware. I use the DS1813+ (newer model is DS1815+) but they offer smaller units as well. The software and support is excellent.
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS1815+
    I second the Synology recommendation. I have the DS1512+. This company continues to support software upgrades for their older products.
    It supports lots of interesting features like recording from security cameras.

Get at least 2 drives in it, and set it up as a RAID so that it will survive a hard drive failure.
    Mine has 5 drive bays, and I have upgraded the amount of storage over the years.
    If you buy the drives separate from the unit, be sure to buy NAS drives, as regular hard drives will fail much quicker.

I keep all of our home videos as well as our photos on it. This allows us to watch any of our videos without fiddling with tapes, etc.

Tim
    BigJim55 likes this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    If you're going to take on a learning curve, look at the FreeNAS project as you could avoid a good chunk of hardware expense.
    trohrer and BigJim55 like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast