• 1 Post By meburdick
  • 1 Post By UnionSchnauzer

Thread: Time to jump into the iPad Pro

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks

Time to jump into the iPad Pro

My first iPad was the forth generation with Retina. 64GB with cellular. Lately it has been acting slow sometimes during certain apps. I had bunches of manuals in iBooks. Suddenly I lost 80% of them and it would flat out freeze when I opened on particular Generac repair manual. So today when I got to work, I cleared my appointments and made the hour drive to an Apple store. It was time. After much thought and conversation, I choose the iPad Pro 9.7" with 256GB and cellular. Plus all the usual extras like the new Apple cover with keyboard, Apple Care, and spinning like the rise cycle while in his grave Apple Pencil that Steve Jobs flat out would not allow.

While attempting to transfer data from my old iPad to the new one, I needed to take my Survivor cover off. Dang man. Oil. Oily. Like a like machine oil. Wet. How? Where? Not detectable from normal use of the iPad. Never seen that. Never had it in oil or an oily environment. But it is pretty even around the inside of the iPad cover. Especially in the corners. It also froze on the tech guy too. Made me feel better.

Anyway, I will try to clear it and use one of my other Survivor covers for it and let the granddaughter have it for games.

Can't wait to use the new iPad Pro. I am sure I will use the dual screen mode the most. That was really cool with the larger iPad Pro but dang man, that is a honking big tablet to lug around. And the pencil may prove to be handy as many of our general contractors are going to paperless blue prints. The salesman tried to persuade me to the larger one but the camera is much better on the smaller unit and the screen size is still good with my eyes. After the sale he stated that the smaller iPad Pro actually is a touch faster since the screen is smaller. I rather doubt I would notice it but I'm sure it would be.

My wife knew this day was coming since I have been beating this drum for awhile. She was very relived that was pretty much all I purchased. I'm dangerous inside the Apple store. I have very little self control.

Yay me!

isaac
    Last edited by UnionSchnauzer; 05-04-2016 at 06:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Time to jump into the iPad Pro

We still have our iPad 3 16GB and the kids use it. I'm not a tablet guy. Frankly I hate using them. It's much faster to open and use the Air.

The smaller unit is slower than the larger model as the CPU is underclocked. See:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/22/...-underclocked/

I doubt you'll notice the difference. I doubt anyone would notice the difference.
    Last edited by TickTock; 05-04-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    We just looked at those pros while in Verizon the other day, they are sweet. Enjoy it! We are still using a first generation iPad and it's still going strong. A couple iPad minis are in the mix too.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Ms. SGS has an iPad Air that I bought for her a while back. At first she didn't particularly care for it but now it gets about 2-3 hours of use each day. She uses it on her 1 1/2 hour ride to and from Boston each day on the train. She also uses it for email, games and recipes at home. I bought a couple of iPad Mini's last year when the Mini 4 came out. Gave one to my Sister for her Birthday and I use one to take notes on jobs and while traveling. Sister loves hers and I enjoy mine as well. Incredible technology!
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 05-04-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I do love the iPads. I use mine lots. I have enjoyed gifting many of them. Mom and sis so they can FaceTime each other. The daughter in law, and the step son. The best one was the queen. That's what I call my wife. The queen was getting ready for her kidney transplant and I surprised her with a mini. Dumbest waste of money I have spent yet. Might as well just take my wallet and toss it out of a moving car. During her recovery she fell in love with it. She uses it a couple hours most every day. I guess I wasn't as dumb as she first thought. This time anyway.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Never thought I would but I love my iPad Air. Finally broke down and bought one (1st generation Air) when they went on sale. Since I spend most of my days in my chair it has been awesome.

I still tend to go to my PC for anything serious like banking and image editing but being my computer room is upstairs I don't use it during the day.

The worst part for me with the iPad is the #$%^ touch screen keyboard. I really should buy a keyboard cover like this one I guess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61+UXXOuO3L._SY355_.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	174626
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I have two iPad Pro 12.9 tablets with the Apple Smart Keyboard. One is a Space Gray 128G model that I use for work and for watching movies and such, especially while traveling. I bought it specifically as a 99% replacement for my MacBook Air. With the keyboard and case, it's very comparable in weight to the laptop and roughly the same screen size.

The second one I have is the 32G model in Gold. My dad decided to move away from his aging and failing desktop PC last year and bought a laptop. I had loaned him an older iPad to see how he might like a touch-screen device and his two complaints were that the screen was too small (9.7") and he had a hard time with the touch interface. The larger iPad Pro 12.9" (which is approximately 1.8 times the screen size of the 9.7") mostly addressed the screen size problem and the keyboard did well for typing. He felt that, since he already had the laptop, there wasn't a point in trying to switch over to a tablet now, so he gave it back.

I'll actually be selling the gold one now since I have no use for it.
    Last edited by meburdick; 05-05-2016 at 01:02 PM.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Meburdick,

I may very well be interested in your iPad Pro 32GB.

Let my know what you are asking for it.

If you would rather email me you can too. [email protected]

Thanks.

I thought my mom would really enjoy her iPad. She does use it but not near as much as I would like her to or hoped she would. My sister and daughter in law use theirs a lot. The queen uses hers everyday. My step son, well only to watch youtube videos of idiots shooting/blowing things up or anything involving a Jeep. Other than that, he isn't into the tech scene. I guess that is pretty good really.

isaac
    ColonyPark likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements