Web Browsing, Cable, Landline providers....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Web Browsing, Cable, Landline providers....

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks

Web Browsing, Cable, Landline providers....

Guess this will fit in the 'Off Topic"! I spend a lot of time on the 'net'! GTT & Others! I cannot get FIOS! I have Time-Warner as my Cable provider, and Verizon as my Land Line, and DSL for the 'puter'. I'm only 'moving' some 985Kb through the net. Besides that, my modem dumps like 3 times a day! (Westell 7500) Did some surfing, and find that they've not got a good track record. And, when it's running, I'm still under a meg.

Well long way to come for my question: The cable guy happened by today. Offered to take my Phone, Internet (@20Meg-WOW!) and TV, in a package for $30- less than what I'm paying for my combined (Different Carrier ) services. Any suggestions out there? TIA ~Scotty- Buffalo NY

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 12:21 PM
    Thanks
    In general I beleive cable internet access is faster than DSL.

I have my cable and internet though my cable company then have Vonage for my home phone which works off of my internet connection.

One thing that may matter to you, currently if your power goes out I bet your phone still works, but if you go to phone through Time-Warner it wont because it will go through your cable modem. So no power to your cable modem equals no phone.

Also depending on how it is wired your existing phone jacks will no longer work. They can be made to work if your cable modem is in your basement so you can take the existing phone wire where it comes into your house and reroute that to your cable modem. In my house we dont worry about that. We got a set of 4 wireless handsets that connect to one base station which is plugged into the cable modem.
    Last edited by kabic; 01-31-2013 at 06:36 PM.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 12:52 PM
    Thanks
    I agree that typically cable is faster than DSL. I am in the IT business and DSL around here is typically rock solid and never a hiccup. Cable is something that requires "messing with" on occasion.

Something to keep in mind unless you download a lot of video, etc you probably wont notice much difference above 10 meg. As far as web surfing you wont see a difference in my opinion.

Bundling services usually will save you some money.

We have that here. Cable TV and 30 meg internet. We have gave up on home phones since cell has taken over.
    1967 John Deere 110 (round fender) tiller & Model 80 Cart
    2010 John Deere 2305, 200cx loader and 62" MMM, 54" blower, I-Match

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    What speed are you paying for? I pay for 1.5 and get around 1.0 - 1.2. Some of your speed goes to overhead. WWW.speed test.net I'm a C.O.T. for Century Link the classic Bell company. Cable has issues with congestion due to network type. Around here people have slow speed at peak times. It's all about how big of a pipe the ISP has to network. Phone copper is smaller and can therefore handle less bandwidth. We use pair bonding to counter that. Then it comes down to distance to the provider. If your modem is dumping 3 Times a day you have a copper issue. Could be a modem, but odds are against that. You can get into you modem and see what's going on. Most default ips are 192.172.0.1 You can also check the firmware and see if it needs updated. Should be free from the manufacturer.

Last edited by 636mullet; 01-31-2013 at 07:06 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    Georgia Comcast user here, so YMMV.

I have TV, Internet and Phone bundled through Comcast. In my area cable internet is by far faster than DSL unless you are paying ridiculous money for a super DSL plan. I average 20 Mb down and 10 Mb up after the Speedboost thing they have drops off. My router handles the internet and phone. It has an internal battery that keeps it running during a power outage (and it is plugged in to a UPS as well). I unhooked AT&T at the box outside and I feed the home phone wiring right from the router. We have an ADT security system and it works fine over the phone line.

I used to be a DSL only guy, then I got a cable modem. I've never looked back. The price/bandwidth is unbeatable in my area.

I'm not affiliated with Comcast in any way, in fact the only complaint I have is the car payment that I send them every month for our service.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Scotty,

How long is that $30 less discount good for, forever, or 6 months? Make sure you read the fine print. Satellite TV looks good in my area, but the low price is only for the first 12 months. After that it ends up costing me more than my cable provider, so I just stay with cable for now.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks

OK Guys------Gut Spilling time.......

I pay about $137- (Tax,tip,gratuity,and dealer prep, included) for my cable TV. That's with 2 sets, each with DVR's. My Phone & DSL From Verizon is about another $75.00. Full long distance, US and Canada, (Tax,tip,gratuity,and dealer prep, included) So I'm looking to go to their (TWC) 'Bundle' for under 200-. With more channels, 20 meg Internet, and a couple 'perks',i.e free Showtime for a year etc. I don't know, think I'm going to try it........Thanks for the feedback! ~Scotty

RRM- Yeah, I thought about 'dumping' land-line, as we also have Cell Phones! ~S
    Last edited by Scotty370; 01-31-2013 at 08:39 PM.

10. Top | #8
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Thanks
    We just switched to the Xfinity HD Premier 3 way package.It'll be 159.00 for a year and then up to 169.00............so they say. If it's different,I'll threaten to leave and go back to Directv. usually,they give in. We were paying roughly 210.00/month for Directv (Total Choice,I think),basic Comcast for the internet (it's less money if you get a channel package rather than just internet) and Verizon for phone. Our internet was the 16mbps tier. It would boost to 24,but average D/L on a power server was around 1.9/2.2 meg/s. Upload was bad,maybe 3.5 at the most. Now it's the 50 mbps tier and it will boost to over 80 sometimes. Average D/L on same power server is around 6.2 meg/s now and upload is around 12. That along with alot of my types of channels (sports,military,outdoor) that we didn't get before makes this deal a really good one...........so far.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I'm also a Time Warner cable subscriber. I pay $160/mo. I have no HBO, SHO or any other crappy new age movie channels, it's expanded basic 2 DVR's. Added in to that bill is the $40 for my Road Runner cable service.

Our service pixilates and drops out when it: gets too cold, gets too rainy, gets too snowy, gets too hot. Wifey wants to chuck TWC and go satellite. I would gain just one channel that I would want, RFD Channel. We'd still have the "bad weather crazys" AND I'd still have to keep and pay for the Road Runner (there's nothing faster here, no FIOS). I could never go back to a slower internet provider. Right now I don't want the hassle of changing to programming that's the same as what I've got and still pay TWC for internet.

I just wish TWC had decent hardware as their DVR's boot whenever they want to or freeze so you have to boot them during a program or recording. Take the box back and they give you a new one that does the exact same thing. At least the office is 15 minutes away.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    I have the same set up as Kabic. My service provider is Mediacon and there service is as bad as you can get and when it goes down it takes 2-3 days to get it repaired not able to get DSL at my location.
    But when it is running it is fast.

Doug
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower