Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Browser hell

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 AM
    Thanks

Browser hell

Well after unsuccessfully trying to create a trouble ticket for my ASUS video card using IE 9, I decided to give Chrome a try. I was able to create the trouble ticket and Chrome imported all my IE 9 bookmarks. So I'm using Chrome for a few days and getting used to its quirks when I ran into the following show stoppers. I can't pin the bookmarks panel to the side like I can in IE and Firefox, and the blasted cascading menus are a frakking pain in the butt especially since I have hundreds of folders and more links than a chain factory. I couldn't access my credit union's web site via Chrome. The final straw was when I went to view a PDF file in the browser, Chrome only lets you print, save, zoom in and out, and that's it. There are no page controls, no search function, nothing. So adios Chrome it's time to try Firefox. Firefox 20.0.1 loaded on just fine, says it imported all my bookmarks successfully, and it functioned similar to IE so the learning curve was easy. But alas Firefox lasted all of an hour on my PC because it only imported about 1/4 of my bookmarks folders, and very few links. I went to try importing them again, and there was no import button. It only imports on installation. I checked Firefox's help and they showed how to import bookmarks; but all the screen captures were apparently from an earlier version. I have to assume I got the latest release and not aurora (should be alpha) as they call it or beta versions of the software as I clicked the download button on the homepage, not on their under development link. So off came Firefox...idiots. I tried Opera in the past and I thought it was crap, so I didn't even go back to try it again. So now I'm back to IE 10 and the return key on GTT and WA doesn't work because of a vBulletin software bug as discussed in this post. http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...g-ie-10-a.html I would hate to be a web wienie having to factor in each browser's quirks into my code.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    05-24-2014 @ 05:39 AM
    Thanks
    Gotta use what works for ya. I find Firefox to be a little quicker so it's what I set up most of my clients with.

Sent from an iPhone Star-Trek Communicator
    LT160

4. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Well after unsuccessfully trying to create a trouble ticket for my ASUS video card using IE 9, I decided to give Chrome a try. I was able to create the trouble ticket and Chrome imported all my IE 9 bookmarks. So I'm using Chrome for a few days and getting used to its quirks when I ran into the following show stoppers. I can't pin the bookmarks panel to the side like I can in IE and Firefox, and the blasted cascading menus are a frakking pain in the butt especially since I have hundreds of folders and more links than a chain factory. I couldn't access my credit union's web site via Chrome. The final straw was when I went to view a PDF file in the browser, Chrome only lets you print, save, zoom in and out, and that's it. There are no page controls, no search function, nothing. So adios Chrome it's time to try Firefox. Firefox 20.0.1 loaded on just fine, says it imported all my bookmarks successfully, and it functioned similar to IE so the learning curve was easy. But alas Firefox lasted all of an hour on my PC because it only imported about 1/4 of my bookmarks folders, and very few links. I went to try importing them again, and there was no import button. It only imports on installation. I checked Firefox's help and they showed how to import bookmarks; but all the screen captures were apparently from an earlier version. I have to assume I got the latest release and not aurora (should be alpha) as they call it or beta versions of the software as I clicked the download button on the homepage, not on their under development link. So off came Firefox...idiots. I tried Opera in the past and I thought it was crap, so I didn't even go back to try it again. So now I'm back to IE 10 and the return key on GTT and WA doesn't work because of a vBulletin software bug as discussed in this post. http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...g-ie-10-a.html I would hate to be a web wienie having to factor in each browser's quirks into my code.
    MJ,I had the same problem with FF too.
    I go back and forth with IE and Chrome. I'll use Chrome for GTT because of the return key BS,but did you notice how sh***y Chrome fonts are. They suck! IE sure has them beat in that department. Another thing about Chrome when it comes to printing. Having to click on "print using system dialog" in order for it to recognize your printer. Oh well.
    The more I use Chrome,the more I don't like it. Sorry Gary.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 08:35 PM
    Thanks
    I use an HP printer and right clicking anywhere on screen brings up the option to print. Either print the whole page or highlight the area you want to print and right click
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	print.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	17056

As long as you've set your printer up correctly in control panel and made it the default printer, you should then see the options on how you want to print it.
    farmgirl19 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    MJ,I had the same problem with FF too.
    I go back and forth with IE and Chrome. I'll use Chrome for GTT because of the return key BS,but did you notice how sh***y Chrome fonts are. They suck! IE sure has them beat in that department. Another thing about Chrome when it comes to printing. Having to click on "print using system dialog" in order for it to recognize your printer. Oh well.
    The more I use Chrome,the more I don't like it. Sorry Gary.
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one who ran into the same problem with Firefart.

As for Chrome's fonts and printing, I never got that far before I got fed up with it.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    mjn,

THANKS you dirty dog! You jinxed me. All I have used for the past many years has been Firefox with no problems. This morning I turned on the PC and for some reason Firefox has deleted all of my bookmarks except the ones in the toolbar and the Deere folder. I am serious, those are the only bookmarks left. Maybe it's a GTT conspiracy? Oh well, I believe I have a bookmark backup file around here somewhere.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

9. Top | #7
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I would hate to be a web wienie having to factor in each browser's quirks into my code.
    And that is why some of us keep using aol, in spite of the fact so many tell us we'd be better off without it. It is SIMPLE, and I am used to it. I don't have time to spend a year trying to learn something, that before I get it figured out, there will be a new system or update that changes something. Yep, I am a web and computer "wienie".
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Each browser sucks in it's own special way. Chrome has different size fonts than the others. FireFox is bookmark challenged, and a bit slower than Chrome. Chrome and Firefox handle "pop up windows" differently in Google Maps. Safari is lost in the jungle. Opera is a little off key.

IE 9 is just a continuation in MicroSquash "we're different than everyone else, but that's OK we're always right" viewpoint. IE 10 is very close to the "Standard" for it's javascript and DOM representations, but, it still has too many quirks and does a few things differently. It also has a hard time letting go of the keyboard, and thinks that the "return" key should always be the same as pressing some object on the screen. Like Windows 8, it's having it's own identity crisis.

Note also that you many want to keep your old IE around. My Ciso DSL router (brand new 2 months ago) only works with IE8 & 9, not 10. It does not work with FF, Safari or Cr. Seems it was tweaked for whatever the incompatibility du jour was in IE that year. All Cisco home products suck.

Oh, and Safari is also different in a number of ways and font sizes. But Apple is the new Microsoft, so don't worry they know what's best.

And the _all_ have different default settings for a zillion things, so, it comes down to if the designer of the web site explicitly sets all CSS (how it looks geeky stuff) that is used.

All in all, an impressive tower of babble that only a herd of "we'll argue about minutia that only geeks understand" techies manged by a gaggle of "Lock 'em into incompatibility so we keep market share" managers could produce. In the web stuff I'm doing, I have to identify the platform and browser and the code is peppered with little bumps, tweeks, and kludges (those are official technical terms) to make it all work. Don't get me started on the tablets.... Chrome on a desktop does not behave the same way as Chrome on a tablet, and the versions for the Nexus 7 and 10 and different! Chrome on a desktop does hyperbolic trig functions, but Chrome on an Android phone does not.

I'm gonna go stare at my tractor to get my blood pressure down now...

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    mjn,

THANKS you dirty dog! You jinxed me. All I have used for the past many years has been Firefox with no problems. This morning I turned on the PC and for some reason Firefox has deleted all of my bookmarks except the ones in the toolbar and the Deere folder. I am serious, those are the only bookmarks left. Maybe it's a GTT conspiracy? Oh well, I believe I have a bookmark backup file around here somewhere.
    Did you have Firefart set to automatically update itself when new versions came out? If so, that could be the problem. That really sucks about your bookmarks. I left Firefart a snottygram when I removed their crapware.

Quote Originally Posted by eepete View Post
    Each browser sucks in it's own special way. In the web stuff I'm doing, I have to identify the platform and browser and the code is peppered with little bumps, tweeks, and kludges (those are official technical terms) to make it all work. Don't get me started on the tablets.... Chrome on a desktop does not behave the same way as Chrome on a tablet, and the versions for the Nexus 7 and 10 and different! Chrome on a desktop does hyperbolic trig functions, but Chrome on an Android phone does not.

Pete
    That's why I'm glad I didn't become a computer programmer because of dealing with all these different flavors of browsers and platforms would drive me nuts, and then when you think you have it nailed down it's time to start all over again because one or more items have been upgraded. ¶
    At one time many, many years ago I was a pretty good FORTRAN IV and AutoLISP programmer. AutoLISP is AutoCAD's built in programming language and is a subset of LISP optimized for AutoCAD. By the way, LISP officially stands for LISt Processor; but to those of us who program in it, it really means Lost In Stupid Parentheses.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Did you have Firefart set to automatically update itself when new versions came out? If so, that could be the problem. That really sucks about your bookmarks. I left Firefart a snottygram when I removed their crapware.
    Nah, I have auto updates turned off on everything on my PC. I have most of the stuff set to CHECK for updates, but I prefer to know what is being installed before it just goes and does it.
    I found the backup. One is automatically made every few days, and it is like an Easter egg hunt to find them.

Only two browsers that I'm aware of are authorized on most government computers, IE and FF. Now does that mean only IE and FF have the unofficial govt spyware on them, I don't know. I do know a lot of functions don't work on IE but do work on FF on locked down govt PCs.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast