Cell phone problem
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ChrisR
  • 3 Post By mn1025rfilb

Thread: Cell phone problem

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Location
    East Central Indiana
    Posts
    1,470
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 240 Times in 172 Posts

    Cell phone problem

    I upgraded to a Android Motorola Droid Maxx 2 smart phone the first of the year. Things worked well until about a month ago when there was a system software update.
    About 2 weeks ago, I could not hear people when they called. Also I could not hear voice mails that they left. I could hear voice mails that were left before the issue with me not being able to hear callers. That eliminated an internal speaker problem. I went into settings, the only change I made was to turn on video calling. That solved the problem then.

    Last night we went out to dinner, I set the phone to vibrate. After I got home, I checked the phone & someone had called & left a voice mail. I could not hear the voice mail, but again I could hear older voice mails. I called the person back, I could not hear the phone ring & could not hear the person I called. They called right back, but I could not hear them. I called them back on a work phone & they stated they could hear me fine.

    I did a Google search on this issue & found hundreds of complaint on this issue going back to 2010. Also there were hundreds of things to try, but not surefire solution.
    I did find that in the search that if I use the external speaker, I can hear the caller & their voice mails.
    This appears to me to be limited to phone calls.

    I am about ready to go back to a flip phone. That is what the work phone is.

    Anyone had this problem or have any idea on how to solve it?
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

    John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Location
    East Central Indiana
    Posts
    1,470
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 240 Times in 172 Posts
    After lunch I did some more google searching on this issue. I found this solution in an Apple board.

    "Just push the top area (near the speaker and front camera) gently with your thumb.

    That's it."

    I thought that it cannot be that simple + I do not have an Apple phone, but I had nothing to lose. I have a full defender case on my phone, so I removed the case, pushed on the phone as described above. I can now hear phone calls again.

    Is there some hidden feature in smart phones that only a few know about?
    Or is it that the internals of all smart phones are really the same & there is a defect in them.
    Last edited by ChrisR; 09-24-2016 at 12:22 PM.
    DRobinson likes this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

    John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

  4. Top | #3
    johnH123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,366
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked 327 Times in 276 Posts
    Is it an android? if so that explains it.... Android sucks.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

    Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    Posts
    498
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 85 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    After lunch I did some more google searching on this issue. I found this solution in an Apple board.

    "Just push the top area (near the speaker and front camera) gently with your thumb.

    That's it."

    I thought that it cannot be that simple + I do not have an Apple phone, but I had nothing to lose. I have a full defender case on my phone, so I removed the case, pushed on the phone as described above. I can now hear phone calls again.

    Is there some hidden feature in smart phones that only a few know about?
    Or is it that the internals of all smart phones are really the same & there is a defect in them.
    Cell phones are all surface mount devices of one type or another. Much of the componentry in modern phones isn't soldered to the board. It is pressure glued on with contact pads for the electric connection. This makes them less susceptible to vibration and torsional stresses( like being in a pocket) but can come with other side effects. Basically you re-bonded your speaker and some other components. Hope it stays well for you

    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Is it an android? if so that explains it.... Android sucks.
    Hmm...... interesting opinion.... I'd have to completely disagree
    Last edited by mn1025rfilb; 09-24-2016 at 12:55 PM.
    DRobinson, MDrew and johnH123 like this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

    Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Central CT
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 220 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1025rfilb View Post
    Cell phones are all surface mount devices of one type or another. Much of the componentry in modern phones isn't soldered to the board. It is pressure glued on with contact pads for the electric connection. This makes them less susceptible to vibration and torsional stresses( like being in a pocket) but can come with other side effects. Basically you re-bonded your speaker and some other components. Hope it stays well for you
    Actually, it depends on the phone, and the component. In an iPhone, for example, the speaker has actual metal contacts that are pressed against a flat cable and the speaker is held in place with a cover that is screwed down. On the other end of that, however, is a snap-in connector that allows the "front" of the phone to be removed and re-installed to the body if necessary.

    What is ACTUALLY happening when you squeeze the phone is that you are re-seating this connector that has most likely separated (partially) because the device was dropped.

    I would bet that the actual change in ability to hear audio would also be partially tied to an operating system upgrade that changed the audio codecs and started using different signaling. The cable may not have been seated correctly prior, and there was never an observed problem because certain pins weren't being used. If the problem started "on its own" (not correlated to an OS upgrade), then it's likely that the phone was dropped face-down and within a couple of days the problem started.
    ---

    2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

  8. Top | #6
    johnH123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,366
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked 327 Times in 276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1025rfilb View Post


    Hmm...... interesting opinion.... I'd have to completely disagree
    I have a Motorola moto something running android 4. I hate it. I can never get the screen brightness high enough, and the icons are kind of small for my taste. on top of that, it will not call or receive calls unless i'm in town (but that may just be Verizon, even though they say they have the best network) I used to have an iphone 2 before I got this one. Everything was different on this phone, which is somewhat understandable, but it is where I acquired most of my distaste for android. kind of like if I had a deere and switched to an allis.

    JMHO.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

    Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Central CT
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 220 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    I have a Motorola moto something running android 4. I hate it. I can never get the screen brightness high enough, and the icons are kind of small for my taste. on top of that, it will not call or receive calls unless i'm in town (but that may just be Verizon, even though they say they have the best network) I used to have an iphone 2 before I got this one. Everything was different on this phone, which is somewhat understandable, but it is where I acquired most of my distaste for android. kind of like if I had a deere and switched to an allis.

    JMHO.
    I've had the Samsung Galaxy S, Motorola Droid, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note5, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S+.

    While the -concepts- of Android are very appealing to me, and the flexibility in many areas is terrific, the operating system is NOT ready for mass deployment. Upgrades go horribly wrong, whether or not you can get an upgrade is entirely up to the carrier, and there is no reliable way to back a device up so that you can easily switch to a new one. I've had multiple handsets replaced under warranty (all Samsung), some new some refurbished. Never have I been able to cleanly and easily switch to a new device, it involves HOURS of setup, and the specific user interface is completely up to a combination of the manufacturer and the carrier. Seriously? If I switch carriers but use the same model handset it might work entirely different?

    I love the idea, but there is absolutely NO consistency to it. And the only way to get new versions of the operation system are to buy new handsets. By comparison, the iPhone 5S, came with iOS 7 and now runs iOS 10. And it works almost exactly the same as my iPhone 6S+ does except for a couple of small things (like raise to wake which only works if the handset has the M9 motion coprocessor chip).

    As much as I absolutely HATE how little Apple lets you configure as a consumer, I do appreciate spending 99.9% of my time with a device just using it and not tinkering.
    ---

    2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

  10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •