TVs - HD, UHD, SUHD, 4k.....oh my....
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: TVs - HD, UHD, SUHD, 4k.....oh my....

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts

TVs - HD, UHD, SUHD, 4k.....oh my....

I made the mistake of walking through the TV section at Wal-Mart yesterday. Was just cutting through until something caught my eye. Then I was like when "Ma & Pa" go to town and stood there staring at a 55" 4K TV likely with my mouth open.

I think because of my photography hobby most of my life I am really critical about sharp images. I would never settle for consumer grade lenses - only the professional grade ($$$) would satisfy my eye for an image. So this super sharp image with super contrast really struck me.

Now for the good part - I have analog cable. But I am enjoying more and more Netflix shows on my 1080p 40" set in HD (1080p feed from Netflix). I only watch regular TV shows (through my analog cable) after being recorded on my Tivo since I just can't tolerate all the commercials.

When looking at the feature list on the Samsung TV I was drooling at, I noticed the word "upsampling". After doing some research this morning I see what this upsampling does - takes a less than 4k input and upscales it to a 4k image on the screen. Now I am interested......

Of course I can find no information about upsampling an analog signal. Kind of funny - when I talk about stuff like this on a Tivo forum nobody believes me that I have analog cable - they say that it is impossible - maybe illegal....?

I really would like that 4k look that I saw at the store. But I know in the store they probably feed those sample TVs with a 4k feed video to make people like me drool over them.

Because of my condition I find myself watching more TV than I ever did - it is a good distraction for me. So I wouldn't be beyond getting DirecTV if I would need to feed a 4k TV like this. But still don't know if the upsampling will work as advertised.

And one of my biggest concerns when thinking about upgrading (one part of my justification process) - what am I supposed to do with my old TV? It's 2 years old and works perfectly. But the technology has sped past what I have and am sure there is no market for a used 40" HD TV.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Yeah, went through the enlightenment last year. You have no idea how fantastic it is until you actually look at one.

TV Upgrade
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    Having worked for Best Buy for 12 years i have seen it all. I have a house full of dead formats, everything from pioneer laser dics to RCA CED disc to 8mm video to super beta hifi. This past summer i finally cleaned out the basement and took a 16ft trailer full to the electronic recycler. 12 tvs including a 55" toshiba, 35" glass tube mitsubishi, several Sony wegas, 63' samsung DLP. I bought my first vcr for 'Who Shot J.R?" 1200$ one event recorder. The new SUHD 4K tvs are very nice and intreaging, But i have been through the format wars and seen upscale products never get their due because of lack of content. the beta system was better than VHS but lost out on content. if you are looking for a home for your 40HD i recommend the bedroom or even the Garage/workshop. I understand we all want the upgraded TV sets
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 5 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I really don't need to be sold on the 4k TV part - though I was when Randy had his thread that he linked to. Times change....when I was still working I never watched TV and had balked about even since I've been stuck home now.

How fast the TV technology is progressing remimds me of some years back with the PC processor wars - they were becoming so much faster at such a fast rate your PC was just about obsolete by the time you took it out of the box. But the PCs have seemed to hit their limit as far as usable speed for the typical homeowner.

The 4k TV is a bit ahead of its time to me since you can't get a 4k feed for it (well I can't anyway). That is why I thought they were riduculous - buying a 4k TV that you can only feed with a 1080p signal. But then I read about the upsampling....

Thinking about the basics - I don't see this upsampling to work on an analog signal. So right off the bat I would have to accept (choke down) the cost of digital cable or DirecTV. I just looked at the price of DirecTV for their smallest package. $50 per month for 1 year them $81 per month for year 2 with a 2 year contract. That about stops me right there. Not only the price - but I have this huge personal issue with having to pay a company so they can feed me all those idiotic commercials/ads. But that is why I employ a DVR.

So looking at numbers - a 50" 4k TV is ~$650. A 2 year DirecTV contract is $1572. That totals $2222 for 2 years of TV of which the TV would likely need upgraded again. Spread out for those 24 months is $92.58 per month - quite a bit beyond what I want to spend.

And I don't want TVs througout my house - anyone that gets upgraded goes out to the barn loft where it will eventually get chopped up and put out for the trash man (no recycling around here).

I'll have to think on this - try to get beyond my issues with paying for commercial TV service (with ads) is the worst part for me.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Coaltrain, 40" computer monitor.
    mjncad, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    On the other hand,,, what exactly could you spend $3.50 a day on for entertainment that suits YOU!!??

We gave up the argument about 5 years ago, bought 2 HD fifty some inch TV's,
    connected to Dish Network, and the ROKU's (yes, we have two of those,,, too)

Dish Network gives us the DVR,,, and even a LOT of commercial "Auto Hop" capability.

The show just plays, and jumps the commercials by itself,,, no button pushing.

Enjoy whatever you decide upon!!
    DRobinson, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    On the other hand,,, what exactly could you spend $3.50 a day on for entertainment that suits YOU!!??

We gave up the argument about 5 years ago, bought 2 HD fifty some inch TV's,
    connected to Dish Network, and the ROKU's (yes, we have two of those,,, too)

Dish Network gives us the DVR,,, and even a LOT of commercial "Auto Hop" capability.

The show just plays, and jumps the commercials by itself,,, no button pushing.

Enjoy whatever you decide upon!!
    Oh - you just gave me a big incentive I think. Being my Tivo is old (last one that works with analog cable) I have to manually fast forward through the commercials. I didn't know the new DVRs did this automatically........

Like you say - I need to give up my thing with the ads - an automatic fast forwarding DVR just might push me over the edge.

Thanks for that info!
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    I agree about being force fead all the commericals. My wife and i watch mostly things on the DVR part of direct tv. We never watch anything live except sports. just watch out for the hidden charges in Direct TV. there is a charge for HD service and DVR service. Our bill has crept up to 134$ per month. I like Direct Tv but watch on placement of the dish because when they installed new one two years ago they put it in a spot where the wind blows snow in it and heavy rain kills it. Keep the dish where yu can clean it off if you have to.we almost lost the superbowl 2 years ago but i was able to hook up a attenna and watch it over the air. I am NOT a recycler either but try and get rid of three big screens... the local recycler is free so thats where they went.
    Levi, BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I had DirecTV many years ago. This was back when you bought the equipment and installed it yourself. But as you say, the price just kept creeping up and up until I got fed up. Luckily a cable company had run cable to my house then which was very surprising where I live. So opted for their basic TV for $15 a month and finally had high speed internet.

Just took a look comparing DirecTV and Dish - that auto rewind feature is not available with DirecTV so that automatically puts them out for me. This auto fast forward thing is huge for me!

Dish would be $57 per month with a 2 year contract and a guaranteed rate lock. I like that idea better.

Dish placement might be tough however. I know where it needs to point (I still have my old dish mounted on the side of my house). But the tree that it is pointing over has grown since and don't know if it will reach over. I certainly will not let them put it on the roof. I will have to see if they will install a pole in the ground - plenty of places where I know they can get the signal within 20' of the house.

Man - I'm kind of excited now. Will have to see if there are any better deals/coupons/promotions for Dish - might give them a call.

My local cable company offers HD TV but they don't publish prices on their website. I am really hesitant - but this might be the easiest route since the cable is already in my house. I could then get the newest Tivo unit that has the auto-skip feature. All I would need from the cable company is a cable card to put into the Tivo unit. A plus with the cable company is there is no contract but I don't know what their price is or how the quality of the signal is. Might have to give them a call also......

I would feel better going with dish - especially when reading about how they will have the new 4k content available. I doubt this backwoods cable company would ever have that - heck they are still broadcasting an analog signal!

I've done a search for reviews of my cable company but all I find are a couple bit** reviews. But I will admit that my internet service is just about flawless.

https://www.zitomedia.net/
    Levi, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Be sure to get one with a network connection for Netflix. I have heard about people getting free TV through their network. I have not tried but I am going to look into this and get back to you.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    JD
    2016-1025R
    H120 Loader
    54"MMM W/Mulching Kit
    647 Tiller

Power Beyond Kit Dealer Installed
    Quick Hitch
    Ballast Box
    Titan 42" Forks
    Agri-Fab 175-Pound Tow Broadcast Spreader
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    More to add as needed.