• 1 Post By balrog006
  • 1 Post By meburdick

Thread: Airwatch

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks

Airwatch

Has anyone had any issues with AIRWATCH?

I just purchased an app made for iPads from Generac. You have to be a current Generac technician in good standing to have access to this app. It also cost $99.00.

My only concern is they, AIRWATCH has access to remotely control my iPad. They claim the reason is if my iPad is lost or stolen they can wipe the app and the information associated with it. I went ahead and agreed to it. My iPad is mine and not issued from the shop. Technically, they have access to everything on it. They claim they cannot see anything other than the app itself (the folks at Generac).

That maybe true and they may have very high standards. but as we all know hackers are looking for information to profit from anywhere they can find it.

The app is amazing for us techs. Lots of information at my fingertips including owner, addresses, locations, phone numbers, etc. So I'm willing to risk it. I only reference one credit card so I guess I cannot get burnt too bad. I also use extremely random passwords and change them time to time. A different one for everything. Security through obscurity.

Anyway to tell if someone is or has viewed things remotely? Any concerns I should have?

isaac

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    If you read the EULA for most apps for iOS or any other platform they are all pretty much the same. They monitor your usage, collect data on you, track position even when your not using the app, you give them access to your photos, browser, etc.

Basically the licensing for them grants them assess to your device to do whatever they want, you should see the list of the hundreds of attributes that Facebook has about you if you use it.

Thing is that it's either do or die, if you want to run the app you have to accept the EULA and allow it to have access to your device, there is very little wiggle room with the legal crowd for this stuff these days.
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    The "remote control" that MDM (Mobile Device Management) vendors have to your devices is not the same sort of remote control that you think of with a PC. They have the ability to remotely push applications, security policies, and other similar configuration items. They also have the ability to "know" where your device is because it will check in periodically in the same way that your device checks in with iCloud for the Find my iPhone family of apps. As a last resort, they can also issue a 'wipe' control to it that will erase everything on it in the event that it is lost/stolen and you have no chance of getting it back.

Why is AirWatch involved if this is your personal device? Has Generac partnered with them to ensure that their information doesn't end up in the wrong hands?
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks
    my work issued phone works with AirWatch as you had stated, it is so they can quickly "brick" the phone in the event of it being lost or stolen. As this is a work phone, i am not concerned with what they see or have access to. I would not be concerned with them monitoring all your iPad usage.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    The "remote control" that MDM (Mobile Device Management) vendors have to your devices is not the same sort of remote control that you think of with a PC. They have the ability to remotely push applications, security policies, and other similar configuration items. They also have the ability to "know" where your device is because it will check in periodically in the same way that your device checks in with iCloud for the Find my iPhone family of apps. As a last resort, they can also issue a 'wipe' control to it that will erase everything on it in the event that it is lost/stolen and you have no chance of getting it back.

Why is AirWatch involved if this is your personal device? Has Generac partnered with them to ensure that their information doesn't end up in the wrong hands?
    Yes sir. Airwatch has the ability to remotely wipe it. I guess I can see why, lots of customer information about their generators are on there. And you can get more. Just type in any serial number and boom-everything about the generator, the location, and owner information is there on my screen. I realize many apps track us. It does seem that Apple does a pretty good job of protecting their users private information so when my iPad started with the multiple "are you sure you want to do this" warnings I froze a bit. I actually backed out for a few days. Then I decided the usefulness is maybe greater than the risk of them looking at all my pictures of my schnauzers. If I was using a company issued iPad I would not thought as much about it.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

isaac

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements