Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Setting up a website.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Setting up a website.

I really don't know much about setting up a website. I do know about domain name registry, domain hosting, FTP & that's about it. I'm told that Word Press is what I want to use for the setup & it's free. But it looks like a real challenge to master it.
    It looks really confusing to me. I've also looked at this Website Hosting Services, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers - HostGator It appears to be a domain hosting site with full service providing the Word Press program & all the tools needed. Of course there is a fee associated with it. And now I'm wondering if I do put up a website will my service provider (in my case Verizon) sky rocket my service bill into the next galaxy.

Anyone care to comment or give me some words of advice. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I really don't know much about setting up a website. I do know about domain name registry, domain hosting, FTP & that's about it. I'm told that Word Press is what I want to use for the setup & it's free. But it looks like a real challenge to master it.
    It looks really confusing to me. I've also looked at this Website Hosting Services, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers - HostGator It appears to be a domain hosting site with full service providing the Word Press program & all the tools needed. Of course there is a fee associated with it. And now I'm wondering if I do put up a website will my service provider (in my case Verizon) sky rocket my service bill into the next galaxy.

Anyone care to comment or give me some words of advice. Thanks.
    all I can say is that wordpress sucks when it comes to adding and running plugins and such.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    Most internet providers restrict you from Hosting a site over a residential service. Some do this with legal ease in the "service agreement", some even implement technical road blocks to make it difficult to do so. Hard to offer advice based on the criteria you gave. In tractor speak, you said: "Hey I want to mow my grass and I know about mower blades. Any suggestions for a mower?"

Need a little more info, because it all depends on how in-depth of a website you want to make. Some of the things that need to be considered are:
    1. Will my website visitors be interacting with a database (looking up parts or products)?
    2. Do I want to be able to send/receive email from my business domain?
    3. Do I want to accept eCommerce (PayPal, credit cards) ?
    4. What level of security do I need, particularly important if doing eCommerce?
    5. How much web traffic do I think I'll get on day 1, day 5, day 30 and beyond?
    6. Are my site visitors downloading or uploading large files?
    7. Will my site viewers accept down time for maintenance or do I need some redundancy?

Plenty of websites with free advice out there on the subject. Here's two:

If you intend to run a business form the website, I strongly urge you to look at some of the more established firms, GoDaddy or NetworkSolutions to name a few.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    Tom

2010 JD LA115 mower w/bagger
    2011 JD 10P dump cart
    2016 JD 1025R TLB: H120 loader w/ 49" bucket - 260 BH w/12" bucket - 60D MMM w/auto PTO - iMatch Quick Hitch
    Heavy Hitch toothbar | Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks | Ken's Seat Springs | Ken's Diff Pedal | Edge Tamers
    Frontier 2048 Box blade | Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    2016 Cyclone Rake model Z-10

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    As far as providers I can tell you that Host Gator has been a great service for me when I had my website for around 10 years. I still use them for my VoIP service under the name of VOIPO. I might have opened 3-4 tickets in those years and each time I recieved a response within 20 minutes.

I used WordPress for a small site that I made for a local sportsmans club. The nice thing is the integration with your Host Gator service - basically one click and it is installed.

There is a learning curve with Word Press depending how intricate a site you want to make. I kept it simple and found my way through fairly easily. There are tons of add-ons but you don't have to use them - I only used a couple. The documentation for WP is great from them and plenty of other sources on-line. On Amazon there are a bunch of free Kindle books also. Just takes a little reading and experimentatiom to get the hang of it.

The first 3 pages of books at this link are free:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_p...price-asc-rank

With your Host Gator account there are a couple other web site creation tools you can install - might be worth the time to also look at them. Not sure but they may have something simpler than WP if that is what you want.

I started out years ago not knowing anything about websites - started out with the book "HTML for Dummies" and went from there.

If I can do it I'm sure you can to.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (10-25-2016), Maddog (10-26-2016), Superglidesport (10-28-2016)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    As far as providers I can tell you that Host Gator has been a great service for me when I had my website for around 10 years. I still use them for my VoIP service under the name of VOIPO. I might have opened 3-4 tickets in those years and each time I recieved a response within 20 minutes.

I used WordPress for a small site that I made for a local sportsmans club. The nice thing is the integration with your Host Gator service - basically one click and it is installed.

There is a learning curve with Word Press depending how intricate a site you want to make. I kept it simple and found my way through fairly easily. There are tons of add-ons but you don't have to use them - I only used a couple. The documentation for WP is great from them and plenty of other sources on-line. On Amazon there are a bunch of free Kindle books also. Just takes a little reading and experimentatiom to get the hang of it.

The first 3 pages of books at this link are free:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_p...price-asc-rank

With your Host Gator account there are a couple other web site creation tools you can install - might be worth the time to also look at them. Not sure but they may have something simpler than WP if that is what you want.

I started out years ago not knowing anything about websites - started out with the book "HTML for Dummies" and went from there.

If I can do it I'm sure you can to.
    Have you tried Google Sites? It is a very simple way to set up a web site for free. But if you require more sophistication it may not be for you.
    JD
    2016-1025R
    H120 Loader
    54"MMM W/Mulching Kit
    647 Tiller

Power Beyond Kit Dealer Installed
    Quick Hitch
    Ballast Box
    Titan 42" Forks
    Agri-Fab 175-Pound Tow Broadcast Spreader
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    More to add as needed.

Added:
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks
    Diff Pedal Extension
    Oblong Ring Sling

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvada View Post
    Have you tried Google Sites? It is a very simple way to set up a web site for free. But if you require more sophistication it may not be for you.

I've gotten away from having my own site a couple years ago. It was mainly for publication of my weather data from my weather station but now found uploading my data to Weather Underground is super easy and they do the rest. Actually mich more comprehensive reports than I could do myself.

The sportsmens club decided to just have a facebook site after many years.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    wordpress.org will host your site for free, AND it will be done using their software. There are some limitations on what you can do in terms of modifying the software and such and many themes will cost you money.

The first thing you need to dig into and understand is whether you're truly interested in create a WEBSITE, or if you're more interested in publishing some content. Web sites of today are predominantly focused on CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to control page layout and general formatting so that all pages look essentially the same and you get to focus solely on the content that each page holds. If you are truly focused on creating the "look and feel" of the site, then it's really all about modifying the CSS to make the content look the way you prefer. Once the CSS is done, however, you can then focus on the content.

Do a google search for free css themes and you'll get a good idea of what's out there for layout options and you could potentially start there. If you have some technical skills, you might want to get yourself a linux distro and set up a small server at your home with apache2 and use that to start working on the CSS. From there, you can move on to which CMS (Content Management System) you want to use to be able to manage and publish content. I've typically done my sites in MODx, and most CMS solutions will require that you're also running a database system (maria / mysql or postgres).
    Arvada likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I believe you mean wordpress.com. Wordpress.org is where you download the software.

Whatever you do, make sure you are prepared to patch and maintain the system. I know some providers leave it to you to keep up to date, and if you don't it becomes a real haven for various nonsense.
    56Nine likes this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    I believe you mean wordpress.com. Wordpress.org is where you download the software.

Whatever you do, make sure you are prepared to patch and maintain the system. I know some providers leave it to you to keep up to date, and if you don't it becomes a real haven for various nonsense.
    Yes... I flipped them in my mind (as I always do). Thanks for correcting that.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterThanATonka View Post
    Most internet providers restrict you from Hosting a site over a residential service. Some do this with legal ease in the "service agreement", some even implement technical road blocks to make it difficult to do so. Hard to offer advice based on the criteria you gave. In tractor speak, you said: "Hey I want to mow my grass and I know about mower blades. Any suggestions for a mower?"

Need a little more info, because it all depends on how in-depth of a website you want to make. Some of the things that need to be considered are:
    1. Will my website visitors be interacting with a database (looking up parts or products)?
    2. Do I want to be able to send/receive email from my business domain?
    3. Do I want to accept eCommerce (PayPal, credit cards) ?
    4. What level of security do I need, particularly important if doing eCommerce?
    5. How much web traffic do I think I'll get on day 1, day 5, day 30 and beyond?
    6. Are my site visitors downloading or uploading large files?
    7. Will my site viewers accept down time for maintenance or do I need some redundancy?

Plenty of websites with free advice out there on the subject. Here's two:

If you intend to run a business form the website, I strongly urge you to look at some of the more established firms, GoDaddy or NetworkSolutions to name a few.
    I appreciate your response to my post, but your questions are way ahead of my knowledge at this point. The one thing I don't understand here is the "Restriction" internet providers may place on Hosting. If I understand you correctly, that would lead to a lot of problems for people like me, or kids, or families, who want to have a website. On the other hand I can see hosting restrictions if someone were to put up fraudulent or indecent sites or content.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast