Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Internet connected garage door openers

1. Top | #21
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    I am reading the door opener manual before installing the door openers & came across this.

A warning that the door should not be operated unless it can be clearly seen at all time while it is operating.

The section following the warning explains how to setup & use the internet connection with the door openers so the door opener can be operated remotely from a smart phone, from anywhere in the world.
    I have a security camera in the garage that I can see the door with if I need to operate it remotely. It's also viewable from my cell phone.
    ChrisR likes this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #22

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    My wife is a technoklutz and the last thing I need around here is more complexity to piss me off answering her questions.
    I am with you on that. I am not sure I am going to setup the smartphone system on the garage doors. Although looking into home automation has got me thinking about something else.

The unheated pole barn where my tractor is stored is about 500 feet from my house. We have a rental property next door that is rented to an Ambulance Service. I have to keep their driveway cleared when it snows. That means plowing any hour of the day or night that it needs it.

My 2025R has been hard to start when the temps are in the 30s. So I am concerned if it will start at all when the temps are in the single digits or colder with out a heater on it. I am going to install a block heater on the tractor, but I do not want it to be plugged into power all of the time, nor do I want to make a trip to the barn to plug the heater in then go back to the house & wait for it to heat up.

I have a network connection in the barn, so I am looking into getting a smart plug to put in the barn that I would be able to control from my smart phone. That way I could turn the outlet on from anywhere & it would be warmed up by the time I get there.
    mjncad, mark02tj and jdmich like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

4. Top | #23

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I am with you on that. I am not sure I am going to setup the smartphone system on the garage doors. Although looking into home automation has got me thinking about something else.

The unheated pole barn where my tractor is stored is about 500 feet from my house. We have a rental property next door that is rented to an Ambulance Service. I have to keep their driveway cleared when it snows. That means plowing any hour of the day or night that it needs it.

My 2025R has been hard to start when the temps are in the 30s. So I am concerned if it will start at all when the temps are in the single digits or colder with out a heater on it. I am going to install a block heater on the tractor, but I do not want it to be plugged into power all of the time, nor do I want to make a trip to the barn to plug the heater in then go back to the house & wait for it to heat up.

I have a network connection in the barn, so I am looking into getting a smart plug to put in the barn that I would be able to control from my smart phone. That way I could turn the outlet on from anywhere & it would be warmed up by the time I get there.
    If you go the route of a Z-Wave system, be sure to understand the load rating on the heater before opting for a specific controller to turn it on and off - be sure you get one with the correct load rating to handle the current draw.

Also - with a Z-Wave type system, you can do things like have a "scene" activate when the heater power is turned on and automatically turn it off after a pre-set amount of time. All kinds of nifty things you can do...
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #24
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

I bought a thermostatically-controlled plug for my heat lamp and it works fine for what you're talking about. You can get them at Walmart or TSC. Here's an example:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Farm-Inno...sem#about-item

Farm Innovators Thermocube - For Life Out Here

It looks like they make multiple products with different ratings and temperatures:

http://www.thermocube.com/
    Last edited by TickTock; 11-18-2016 at 10:09 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TickTock For This Useful Post:

jdmich (11-18-2016)

8. Top | #25

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I have a security camera in the garage that I can see the door with if I need to operate it remotely. It's also viewable from my cell phone.
    What type of security camera system do you have?
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere 825i Gator

9. Top | #26

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    If you go the route of a Z-Wave system, be sure to understand the load rating on the heater before opting for a specific controller to turn it on and off - be sure you get one with the correct load rating to handle the current draw.

Also - with a Z-Wave type system, you can do things like have a "scene" activate when the heater power is turned on and automatically turn it off after a pre-set amount of time. All kinds of nifty things you can do...

Thank you for the information.
    John Deere 825i Gator

10. Top | #27

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    I bought a thermostatically-controlled plug for my heat lamp and it works fine for what you're talking about. You can get them at Walmart or TSC. Here's an example:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Farm-Inno...sem#about-item

Farm Innovators Thermocube - For Life Out Here

It looks like they make multiple products with different ratings and temperatures:

Thermo Cube
    Thank you for the information. I did not know about the thermo cubes. I do not believe that those will solve the issue of not heating the tractor when not needed. I just want to heat up the tractor when I need to use it.
    John Deere 825i Gator

11. Top | #28

Last Online
    Thanks

Well, that easy.

I had a bad day, so I decided to try to connect the garage door openers up to the internet this evening. I figured if it went bad, I would just throw the internet stuff in the trash & be done with & forget about it. I hooked up the gateway to the network switch just before dinner, thinking it would take a while to connect to the internet. It took less than 10 seconds for the gateway to connect. I had already setup an online account with Chamberlain. All I had to do was log into the account, enter the serial number of the gateway & then add the 2 door openers. To add the openers, I had to click on an add device button on my computer & then push the learn button on the opener. I had to do this for each opener. They both connected within seconds.

I am not sure if we will ever use the openers from the smart phones, but I my add some lights to the system.
    jdmich likes this.
    John Deere 825i Gator

12. Top | #29
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks

My plan is to use the Wemo outlets for this. I have four and they work great from my phone. The set up took about 3 minutes, they are rated for 1800w and are $40. You can set up "rules" using the program or just switch it on and off. I have two for lamps and two that turn on block heaters, one for my 6x6 and one for my tractor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X0RJlQ2.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	424.6 KB 
ID:	268001
    Last edited by Plug Ugly; 11-18-2016 at 08:12 PM.
    Kennyd, ChrisR and mark02tj like this.

13. Top | #30
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I have old-school peepholes in the house to garage man-door to verify the doors are down before calling it a night.
    ChrisR likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3