Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DOGoodman

Thread: Verizon HomeFusion Internet

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks

Verizon HomeFusion Internet

I think I'm going to get Verizon Home Fusion internet at my house. I have a wireless system now (not cell or satelite based), that's only good for 256K. It just doesn't cut it anymore. I can't get DSL or cable, and I hear that satelite sucks due to the latency. Since 4G recently came to my area, and I can get 10Mbit on my new iPhone 5, Home Fusion is my best option.
    I've got a few questions that maybe you IT guys can help me out with.
    1) I've got a meter pole that I've got my Dish Network dish mounted to, I've got 1 inch conduit all the way out there from my utility room. I've heard that Home Fusion uses Cat5 between the outside equipment and the inside equipment. I would like to mount the home Fusion antenna on the pole and run the wire into the j box, just like my Dish Network. What kind of Cat 5 wire would be suitable to have a couple feet exposed to sunlight, and ran through buried conduit (wet location rated), and what would be the O.D. of such a cable?
    2) What would be customary for grounding once I'm inside the building. There are many such products available for coax cable.

3) Do any of you know anything else about Home Fusion?

Free installation is included, but as many of you know, it usually leaves a little to be desired. I will have everything done that I can, and just rely on the install guy for commissioning.
    Here is a picture of my J Box. I just pushed my fish tape through and pulled a 14 gauge wire in to use as a pull wire. After 13 years, the conduit was bone dry inside. I was happy, but surprised.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 014.jpg   013.jpg  
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    I would try to get some direct bury CAT5 cable, maybe you can find a piece on eBay to suit your needs. How long do you need it? OD will be about 1/4" if its shielded. Grounding is easy with a simple clamp, just remove about 1" of jacket to expose the shield and clamp with a suitable wire. Sorry, I know nothing about the Fusion service.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

arlen (06-18-2013)

5. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Thinking CAT6, what the heck. Maybe per terminated, in as much as you have a 1 inch conduit. A good crimping tool for an RJ45 will cost more than the wire, depending on the distance.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    A good crimping tool for an RJ45 will cost more than the wire, depending on the distance.
    I already have one.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-20-2017 @ 11:41 AM
    Thanks
    I've had the Home Fusion for about 4 months. I'd let them do the complete install. They use co-ax from the cantenna into the house and it's grounded within 20 feet of the cantenna. From there it goes to the power injector (power brick) to the router.
    Spring for the $6.99 mo. service contract, 'cause if you don't have it, it's about $150.00 to get a truck to roll for service.
    Mine has been solid though I have had to reboot occasionally. It's quick like a bunny but it only runs in 4G. If your service is spotty it won't fall back to 3G. I just checked mine and I'm getting 28.39 Mbps download and 5.72 Mbps upload (speedtest.net). I just upgraded to the 16 Gig plan caused you use more when it's faster because it's so much more convenient. Good luck.
    Kennyd likes this.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DOGoodman For This Useful Post:

arlen (06-20-2013), Kennyd (06-19-2013)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGoodman View Post
    I've had the Home Fusion for about 4 months. I'd let them do the complete install. They use co-ax from the cantenna into the house and it's grounded within 20 feet of the cantenna. From there it goes to the power injector (power brick) to the router.
    Spring for the $6.99 mo. service contract, 'cause if you don't have it, it's about $150.00 to get a truck to roll for service.
    Mine has been solid though I have had to reboot occasionally. It's quick like a bunny but it only runs in 4G. If your service is spotty it won't fall back to 3G. I just checked mine and I'm getting 28.39 Mbps download and 5.72 Mbps upload (speedtest.net). I just upgraded to the 16 Gig plan caused you use more when it's faster because it's so much more convenient. Good luck.
    That's good information about the coax. The guy in the Verizon store said it was CAT5 that went from the cantenna to the indoor equipment. He said the earlier ones used coax, but I don't pay too much attention to them. I'm trying to get the installer to call me and let me know for sure what wire I need to get.
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements