Bought a dash camera
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 151
Like Tree487Likes

Thread: Bought a dash camera

  1. Top | #1
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,029
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Bought a dash camera

    After a lot of procrastinating, I bought a Viofo A119 dash camera. I need to tweak it a little, if you skip to about the 2:00 minute mark you can see the sun glare gets pretty bad when I turn south. Forgive the music, I thought I had the microphone turned off.

    Today was also the maiden voyage for the white pickup on the highway. Did well, got me to TSC and home again.

    Last edited by 56FordGuy; 11-19-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 19 others like this.
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

    pcabe5 (11-20-2016)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  4. Top | #2
    mjncad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Location
    Front Range of Colorado
    Posts
    6,953
    Thanks
    1,786
    Thanked 548 Times in 433 Posts
    Considering the time of the year and what looks to be late afternoon, the sun glare isn't bad.

    I'd love to open up the throttle on that road. Do you have the speed recording feature turned off in case of an unwanted encounter with the authorities?
    I have more ideas than ambition.


  5. Top | #3
    OxPath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,512
    Thanks
    790
    Thanked 996 Times in 618 Posts
    That is a nice looking view with nice color and saturation and it appears to be a very steady image. When I started looking last year, I considered the A119. But, having no knowledge of dash cams, I ended up with a Garmin Dash Cam 20, as I use Garmin GPS units. The Garmin's field of view is a bit too wide for my taste, but it does look very similar to yours, so maybe that's the standard configuration of these units? I also have problems with sun glare at times of day, but I don't see any fix. When I have to squint, I know the image is flaring.

    How are you mounting the camera? I've had poor luck with the suction-cup mount. If I don't re-stick it after extreme temperature changes, I end up with the camera swinging from the rear-view mirror. I've also tried a visor clip mount which works well. I haven't looked at a permanent mount because I have to remove the camera nightly as where I live, they'll smash your side window to steal a camera or GPS. When I visited Wyoming, I could have reached in plenty of open cab windows and helped myself to a rifle or two. Boy, I wish I could trade places with you!

    Does the Viofo A119 have an option to record GPS data? The Garmin does, and it was one of the reason I chose it. However, it has not proven of any value other than to show me that I am always over the speed limit by 3-5 mph.

    Does your camera have ignition sense? Are you going to utilize it? I plug into a live accessory socket and don't receive any benefit from the ignition sense. Turning the camera on and off is all on me and more than several times, when I forgot to shut the camera off, I lost hours of video when it was over-recorded by the view of where I've parked. Did I mention that I often neglect to turn it on after actually remembering to turn it off?

    Please keep us updated on your experience with the A119 and how you are mounting and powering. I for one, am always looking for a better mousetrap.

    No need to apologize for the music. That's good stuff right there!
    Last edited by OxPath; 11-20-2016 at 03:29 AM.
    mjncad, etcallhome, pcabe5 and 4 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    LoneStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    417
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    After a lot of procrastinating, I bought a Viofo A119 dash camera. I need to tweak it a little, if you skip to about the 2:00 minute mark you can see the sun glare gets pretty bad when I turn south. Forgive the music, I thought I had the microphone turned off.

    Today was also the maiden voyage for the white pickup on the highway. Did well, got me to TSC and home again.

    Nice camera.
    2016 JD 1025r
    H120 fel
    rear ballast box
    60D MMM
    iMatch
    Heavy Hitch
    RB2060L Rear Blade
    LR2060L Landscaper Rake
    42" Frontier front forks
    54" snow blade
    60" Everything Attachments aerator
    Cyclone Rake (Original) w 3 pt hitch
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    1999 JD LT155
    38"deck w/ bagger
    42" snow blade

  8. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 PM
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,394
    Thanks
    1,137
    Thanked 800 Times in 581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Forgive the music, I thought I had the microphone turned off.
    Ann Murray and Roger Miller? NOTHING to forgive! I think we listen to the same station!

    Nice, steady image on that camera. I'd like to get one for my Jeep, but not sure how to secure it when I'm driving topless. Not to mention the "weather issues" that sometimes hit things inside an open Jeep.
    pcabe5, 56FordGuy, PaDave and 2 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

  9. Top | #6
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,167
    Thanks
    3,006
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    56fordguy--ur picture I think is just as good as most of the u-tubers i watch, in trucking. i was gonna ask if u left it on, as so it could watch over ur truck while u was in the store. i could see where that could be good, if someone decided to bump ur vehicle, but only if it happened in the front-huh.

    anyway's if i was still trucking, i'm sure i would be running one by now. i have no idea of these things in the way of cost

    probably the better they are, the more the cost ah-i think ur old white truck u call it, well i think it must run and ride down the road pretty darn good, as their was no vibration from ur tires, as the camera didn't show it.which is good IMB.
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  10. Top | #7
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,832
    Thanks
    1,058
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I wish I had one of these when I was on the road. Saw so many things. Trying to explain all that stuff to Mrs. C after my trips - it would have been neat to show her what it's like to drive through cities on the interstate.

    No use for one now being I only go out 2-3 times a month and all on the back roads. I was going to put in a cheap one anyway but found my truck does not have any switched power ports. So that would mean plugging/unplugging it every time (remembering to) or hard wire it - not worth it to me to tear the upper console apart only to have it not go back together properly.

    One great detail if you are on the road a lot like Blake - you have instant proof if you are in an accident. Years ago when an old drunk guy pulled across in front of me when I was doing 55mph - it was a 3 month battle to prove what actually happened. With a dash cam running it would have been proven instantly.
    pcabe5, 56FordGuy, PaDave and 3 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Central CT
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 220 Times in 174 Posts
    I liked what you wrote, and I've been considering a dash cam for a while now. It has been really hard to boil things down to excellent recording quality, good overall feature set, and relatively low cost. I started looking around at the A119 and found that A) it's reasonably inexpensive for what it does and B) it comes in a variety of "brand names" (including SpyTec and Blueskysea) for very similar prices. Since I'm an Amazon Prime member, and the SpyTec version is available with Prime shipping, I'll go that route.

    Also, it seems that there is a separate "add-on" piece that you would need if you wanted GPS tracking in your recordings. Using it places the camera slightly away from the windshield (it becomes the camera's mount point and adds a little gap) and apparently makes the camera just SLIGHTLY more visible from the outside. It also makes mounting and unmounting easier since the power cable stays connected to the mount and not the camera. Since I like this flexibility, I'll opt for the GPS version so I get the mount (although I'm not terribly concerned about having access to the GPS data, nor do I care to spend the money for special software to "decode" the GPS information).

    Looks like a solid unit for $100.
    pcabe5, 56FordGuy, PaDave and 2 others like this.
    ---

    2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

  12. Top | #9
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,029
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    I'd love to open up the throttle on that road. Do you have the speed recording feature turned off in case of an unwanted encounter with the authorities?
    After two unwanted but well deserved encounters with the authorities, I stick within a couple MPH of the speed limit. As for this road, there's a city police officer that lives out this way and I usually meet a highway patrol car in the mornings on my way in. There are better places to speed.



    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    The Garmin's field of view is a bit too wide for my taste, but it does look very similar to yours, so maybe that's the standard configuration of these units? I also have problems with sun glare at times of day, but I don't see any fix. When I have to squint, I know the image is flaring.

    How are you mounting the camera? I've had poor luck with the suction-cup mount. If I don't re-stick it after extreme temperature changes, I end up with the camera swinging from the rear-view mirror. I've also tried a visor clip mount which works well. I haven't looked at a permanent mount because I have to remove the camera nightly as where I live, they'll smash your side window to steal a camera or GPS. When I visited Wyoming, I could have reached in plenty of open cab windows and helped myself to a rifle or two. Boy, I wish I could trade places with you!

    Does the Viofo A119 have an option to record GPS data? The Garmin does, and it was one of the reason I chose it. However, it has not proven of any value other than to show me that I am always over the speed limit by 3-5 mph.

    Does your camera have ignition sense? Are you going to utilize it? I plug into a live accessory socket and don't receive any benefit from the ignition sense. Turning the camera on and off is all on me and more than several times, when I forgot to shut the camera off, I lost hours of video when it was over-recorded by the view of where I've parked. Did I mention that I often neglect to turn it on after actually remembering to turn it off?

    Please keep us updated on your experience with the A119 and how you are mounting and powering. I for one, am always looking for a better mousetrap.

    No need to apologize for the music. That's good stuff right there!
    Lot of good questions.

    The Viofo does not record GPS in the camera itself, but there is an optional mount that contains the GPS unit. The standard mount is a piece of flat plastic that attaches to the windshield with adhesive tape and the camera slides on and locks on a little tab. The GPS version works the same way, but is a little thicker and has four pins that contact terminals on the camera. I bought the GPS kit, but it included the standard mount also. I put the standard mount in the pickup, and will use the GPS mount in my work truck. It does have ignition sense, but that truck doesn't have a switched power outlet. I just got lucky that the particular 3 minute segment I posted switched ended when I got to the store. I have a few videos of the parking lot. I could turn it off or unplug it in the pickup, but my work truck does have a switched power outlet. As for the glare, they make a thing called a CPL- circular polarized lens. It's supposed to cut down on it significantly, but mounting angle and a clean windshield are also important. The CPL for my camera hasn't been released yet, but is supposed to be out by the end of the month.

    The music is a local radio station, 103.3 The Range. They play a lot of the older, better stuff.



    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    56fordguy--ur picture I think is just as good as most of the u-tubers i watch, in trucking. i was gonna ask if u left it on, as so it could watch over ur truck while u was in the store. i could see where that could be good, if someone decided to bump ur vehicle, but only if it happened in the front-huh.

    anyway's if i was still trucking, i'm sure i would be running one by now. i have no idea of these things in the way of cost

    probably the better they are, the more the cost ah-i think ur old white truck u call it, well i think it must run and ride down the road pretty darn good, as their was no vibration from ur tires, as the camera didn't show it.which is good IMB.
    Because I left it on, the camera recorded the parking lot while I was in the store. It records in three minute videos, and that one just happened to end right there. When the memory card is full (mine is a 64 gb) it automatically begins overwriting the oldest videos with new ones. You can lock particular sections of video so that they don't get overwritten, and it also has a button to take a photograph. If I had turned the camera off but left it plugged in, it still has a shock sensor so that if something stuck my truck hard enough it would begin recording and save the previous 10 or 20 seconds. Like you said though, it only helps if the impact is in view of the camera.

    Cost varies, you can get cameras from as low as $40-50 up to $3-400. Mine was rated best value by two different camera websites, and sells for $80-100 depending on where you buy it and if you get the GPS mounting system. The GPS is an extra $10, but you can still get the whole setup for under $100. They're supposedly releasing a new version of this one soon, so some places are marking down the prices of these. A popular, inexpensive camera is the G1W, it's about $50 but is physically bigger and not quite as tough. As for the truck, I was impressed. I put four new shock on last week, but the tires are used, studded tires mounted on used wheels with old balancing weights. These tires/ wheels have never been balanced together. All things considered, I thought it rode just fine.



    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I wish I had one of these when I was on the road. Saw so many things. Trying to explain all that stuff to Mrs. C after my trips - it would have been neat to show her what it's like to drive through cities on the interstate.

    No use for one now being I only go out 2-3 times a month and all on the back roads. I was going to put in a cheap one anyway but found my truck does not have any switched power ports. So that would mean plugging/unplugging it every time (remembering to) or hard wire it - not worth it to me to tear the upper console apart only to have it not go back together properly.

    One great detail if you are on the road a lot like Blake - you have instant proof if you are in an accident. Years ago when an old drunk guy pulled across in front of me when I was doing 55mph - it was a 3 month battle to prove what actually happened. With a dash cam running it would have been proven instantly.
    The biggest reason I wanted one was all the crazy stuff I've seen over the years that's either impossible to explain like the Dodge minivan someone turned into a tandem axle flatbed truck, or so crazy nobody would believe it like the guy last week pushing a skateboard stacked with stuff down the middle of a 50 MPH road, blocking traffic and holding up a peace sign. Wyoming also offers quite a bit, whether it's gorgeous scenery like driving the Wind River Canyon, or challenging winter conditions. I had an incident last year on icy roads where a car missed hitting me by literally inches sliding sideways across the interstate.

    Protection in the case of an accident is also a concern, especially in a company truck. At my last job we our parts delivery folks drove pickups with a logo on the side but nothing on the front. One of our guys was stopped in traffic, hit from behind and pushed into the vehicle in front of him. When he went to check on the driver of the car in front of him, the guy claimed he was fine and it was no big deal until seeing the company logo on the pickup. That's when he suddenly had a lot of pain and told the police he needed an ambulance. While that may or may not have been true, a camera would've proven that our guy was stopped a safe distance behind him before being hit by a car traveling at 60+ mph. Our trucks all have GPS monitoring on them already, but I'm surprised that more fleets aren't putting cameras in for their own protection.
    mjncad, pcabe5, PaDave and 4 others like this.
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

    mjncad (11-21-2016)

  14. Top | #10
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,029
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    I liked what you wrote, and I've been considering a dash cam for a while now. It has been really hard to boil things down to excellent recording quality, good overall feature set, and relatively low cost. I started looking around at the A119 and found that A) it's reasonably inexpensive for what it does and B) it comes in a variety of "brand names" (including SpyTec and Blueskysea) for very similar prices. Since I'm an Amazon Prime member, and the SpyTec version is available with Prime shipping, I'll go that route.

    Also, it seems that there is a separate "add-on" piece that you would need if you wanted GPS tracking in your recordings. Using it places the camera slightly away from the windshield (it becomes the camera's mount point and adds a little gap) and apparently makes the camera just SLIGHTLY more visible from the outside. It also makes mounting and unmounting easier since the power cable stays connected to the mount and not the camera. Since I like this flexibility, I'll opt for the GPS version so I get the mount (although I'm not terribly concerned about having access to the GPS data, nor do I care to spend the money for special software to "decode" the GPS information).

    Looks like a solid unit for $100.

    Mine is the SpyTec from Amazon, with the GPS mount. The other advantage of the GPS kit is you get the regular mount also, so if you have a vehicle you drive less you can install it in there as well as the GPS in your primary driver.

    Read the manual online, the included quick start guide doesn't go into all the details. If you use a memory card larger than 32 gb you'll have to format it, but that's easy. Camera setup is really simple, but I would caution you to adjust the video quality down. The standard quality is better than 1080P, and it took me over an hour to upload that three minute video last night. Part of that is my web connection I'm sure, but I think I can turn down the quality for smaller files without losing too much.


    Full owner's manual.
    Last edited by 56FordGuy; 11-20-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    mjncad, pcabe5, PaDave and 3 others like this.
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

    BigJim55 (11-21-2016), mjncad (11-21-2016)

  16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •