Like Tree42Likes

Thread: New Technology - Cameras & Video

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts

New Technology - Cameras & Video

I know I am really backwards with most new technology. Especially with cell phones and/or smart phones as there is no cell service where I live. However, I find myself using my iPad much more than my big beautiful PC anymore.

I've been a novice photographer most of my life - that was my main hobby until a couple years ago. Making a long story short, I simply lost interest in it and have slowly sold off all my pro type camera gear.

I left myself with a nice Fujifilm x30 camera which is a high end point and shoot. But.....it doesn't fit in my pocket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0179.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	282378

It really is a great camera which gives me all the control I want except for having a long zoom.

Now spending more time on the web, I really enjoy seeing all the pics and videos eveyone shares here, on youtube, etc. And I am finding out it seems that most of these images and videos are shot with smart phones. After doing some research I see that the imaging and video capabilities have really come a long way.

I've been experimenting with my iPad. I think it is so nice that I can capture images and video, edit them, and upload them all from this one device. I like that.

So now - although I pick on most of you about having your "smart" phone with you 24/7, there is one aspect of this that I actually am envious of - that you have a camera with you all the time. This is huge in my opinion. While working with my photography hobby, I found that the quality of your gear is not as important than having a camera with you when an opportunity presents itself. I love all the snaps that you folks take during your daily travels - and this is possible because you always have that camera with you.

So with all that said, I was thinking how neat it would be to have a "smart" phone without the phone - just a camera but with the editing and uploading capabilities. So with some frantic searching this morning, I think I found just the thing for me - an Ipod Touch.

It's a big purchase for me at $200 but I think I would really use it. It's kind of redundant to my iPad but would have a different use - to be used when I am outside or on the road and fit in my pocket.

Any opinions on this before I pull the trigger?
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    I think you would probably like the Ipod touch for what you describe. I had an Ipod touch 4 for music back before I had an Iphone and even it had a great camera, I don't know what version they are up to now (6 maybe?) but I'm sure it's even better. It is just what you said, an Iphone without the phone, and I've even heard of apps that would let you make calls on it over wi-fi.

I don't like a lot of things about Apple but their products do work and work well. The biggest thing I didn't like was their trying to make you use Itunes for music. But I just use a USB cable and download pictures and videos to my PC from Iphone. I also don't like that they don't have support for adding external memory (SD cards or jump drives) so you buy the device with the memory size you think you will need, as you cannot add to it later.
    coaltrain likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I talked myself into it. Not only for the photo/video usage - I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to have something like this along with us when we are out and about. Almost every place these days seems to have WiFi.

Also ordered a Gorilla Pod along with it. Should be fun getting into doing some videos.

Spferdil - the ipod is on the 6th generation now. The camera and processor is very close to what the iPhone 6s has now. Kind of funny - this thing is almost identical to the 6s except not having cell service - not much difference but with a huge price difference - $200 vs. $650.

I'm already knee deep with Apple. I just love my iPad - I learn new things I can do with it almost daily and it has been as stable as a rock. So the little iPod will compliment it nicely - my iPad to go that fits in my pocket.
    Last edited by coaltrain; 12-17-2016 at 05:06 PM.
    56FordGuy likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I think you will love having "a camera" with you at all times, especially since it will fit easily into your pocket. The current generation of iPod Touch devices have a pretty competent camera in them. The one thing that you probably won't do very much with it is edit because it's a smaller screen size. That's ok, though...

Since you have an iPad, signing in with the same Apple ID on the iPod Touch and enabling "My Photo Stream" (Settings -> iCloud -> Photos) on both devices (personally, I would NOT enable the other features in that section) will ensure that all of the pictures that you take with the iPod will sync over to your iPad automatically and you could edit them there.

If this re-ignites your hobby for you, you could consider an "upgrade" in the future to an iPhone 6S Plus (much larger screen), buying one used that has a bad ESN/IMEI (which prevents it from being used as a phone, significantly dropping its value).
    coaltrain and Drifterbike like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    I think you will love having "a camera" with you at all times, especially since it will fit easily into your pocket. The current generation of iPod Touch devices have a pretty competent camera in them. The one thing that you probably won't do very much with it is edit because it's a smaller screen size. That's ok, though...

Since you have an iPad, signing in with the same Apple ID on the iPod Touch and enabling "My Photo Stream" (Settings -> iCloud -> Photos) on both devices (personally, I would NOT enable the other features in that section) will ensure that all of the pictures that you take with the iPod will sync over to your iPad automatically and you could edit them there.

If this re-ignites your hobby for you, you could consider an "upgrade" in the future to an iPhone 6S Plus (much larger screen), buying one used that has a bad ESN/IMEI (which prevents it from being used as a phone, significantly dropping its value).
    I've neen studying that iCloud feature and plan to use it just like you say. I also have the iCloud app on my PC which has my editing software so I can easily download a pic to that if I want to edit even more. But after doing some practice shots with my iPad the past week or so there will likely not be much of a need - I am quite impressed with the images it produces at least for web viewing.

I already got myself an time lapse shooting app which I plan to use with the iPod. The IOS system makes it so easy to shoot time lapse and automatically render it into a video. I've always wanted to do more with time lapse photography. With my older DSLRs it was a bit more work to do it.

This is kind of exciting for me - as you said it is re-igniting my photography bug along with my loving electronic gadgets. All these years I scoffed at prople taking pics with a phone but I am learning that Apple has really done some majical things with such a small lens. Plus I am finding lots of accossories and apps to compliment shooting pics with these devices.

And yes - always being able to have it in my pocket is probably the best feature.

I opted for the 16gb model as I plan on using the free iCloud and will be prudent in keeping both the device and cloud to a minimum as far as needing storage. Anything I want to keep I will download to my PC where I have tons of storage space.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    The iCloud piece for your PC takes advantage of the My Photo Stream.

You can shoot videos on the iPod / iPad, but those do NOT sync over through the My Photo Stream service.
    coaltrain likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to meburdick For This Useful Post:

coaltrain (12-18-2016)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    The iCloud piece for your PC takes advantage of the My Photo Stream.

You can shoot videos on the iPod / iPad, but those do NOT sync over through the My Photo Stream service.
    Thanks for that. Guess I will have to find another method of storing videos then. I suppose I could upload them to my flickr account and keep them there (as long as Yahoo doesn't go down the tubes....)
    Drifterbike likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    You could always just connect the iPod to your computer with a cable. That's what I normally do with my phone.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    You could always just connect the iPod to your computer with a cable. That's what I normally do with my phone.
    Doh - never thought of that as I have never done that with my iPad.

Thanks! Learning as I go here....
    johnH123 and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Cable connection will allow you to import the videos onto your PC. If you want access across all devices, you could load up Google Photos and that service will upload ALL of your photo/video media to a Google account. You will have to allow the service to manage the resolution (and file size) in order to have unlimited storage, but for web viewing there is no issue with what resolution you end up with.
    coaltrain and Drifterbike like this.
    ---

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast