Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How high off the floor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

How high off the floor

I have a 55 inch flat screen TV I want to mount to the wall. The TV itself measures about 49 inches long & 30 inches tall (top to bottom). The room has a 9 foot ceiling. Is there some kind of average distance to set the TV from the floor to the bottom of the TV. I think the wall mounting bracket can be titled somewhat which is good I guess because the main viewing lounge sofa has fully reclining features. Wow, how soft I've become in my old age. Thanks for the advice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddog For This Useful Post:

A_Chad (01-23-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I only have 8' ceilings - mounted mine with the top ~12" from the ceiling.

My truly unscientific method - we both have recliners in our sitting room where we watch TV. With the chairs reclined I tried to get a straight view to the TV - so as not to have to crane my neck at all. I did this with the chairs 1/2 way reclined and so that my face was "square" with the center of the screen.

My mount tilts and swivels so I could make any fine adjustments.

It works perfectly. I will never not have my TV mounted high on the wall again.
    Maddog likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (01-23-2017)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    I have 8 foot ceilings in my basement. Mine is mounted on a tilting mount. It's a 52" TV. I mounted it over some cabinets and inside an arch. It's 38 inches from the floor, about 8" above the cabinets. A picture shows it better, ignore the wires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TV.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	302906

The TV is visible from the sectional, recliner and the bar.
    Maddog likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (01-23-2017), Maddog (01-23-2017)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I only have 8' ceilings - mounted mine with the top ~12" from the ceiling.

My truly unscientific method - we both have recliners in our sitting room where we watch TV. With the chairs reclined I tried to get a straight view to the TV - so as not to have to crane my neck at all. I did this with the chairs 1/2 way reclined and so that my face was "square" with the center of the screen.

My mount tilts and swivels so I could make any fine adjustments.

It works perfectly. I will never not have my TV mounted high on the wall again.
    Yeah-Finding the sweet spot could be a problem. I don't generally "recline" all the way, neither does my wife. So I think I will position the chair as I normally do when I recline & try to sight to the center of the screen at a recline angle that we like. Some of this stuff really gets nuts. I was hoping I could just put it on top of a credenza & be done. Nope gotta have it on the wall. What will the neighbors think.
    ColonyPark and coaltrain like this.

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    When I mounted my 65" TV to the wall I did an internet search and the recommended height was to measure the height of your eyes when seated in your normal viewing position and place the center of the TV at that height. I thought it was kind of low at first but it has worked out perfectly for us.

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Yeah-Finding the sweet spot could be a problem. I don't generally "recline" all the way, neither does my wife. So I think I will position the chair as I normally do when I recline & try to sight to the center of the screen at a recline angle that we like. Some of this stuff really gets nuts. I was hoping I could just put it on top of a credenza & be done. Nope gotta have it on the wall. What will the neighbors think.
    As long as you have the ability to tilt it you can get it close then adjust it to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by handtools View Post
    When I mounted my 65" TV to the wall I did an internet search and the recommended height was to measure the height of your eyes when seated in your normal viewing position and place the center of the TV at that height. I thought it was kind of low at first but it has worked out perfectly for us.
    That might work out OK if the TV is flat against the wall. I really like having mine higher and tilted down. I think it tilts 15° and I have it at most of that angle. That's why it is important to have a tilting mount. This also helps if you end up with a rouge reflection on the screen from a window or lamp - you can adjust it slightly to get rid of that.

------------------------------------------------

For most of our lives we've had Masiffs (BIG dogs). Always had the TV in a TV cabinet/shelf deal. One frustrating part with that is if he was walking around between us and the TV he would block our view. That was my first and foremost reason for putting the new flat screen on the wall. Now it has worked out much better than I even thought being comfortable while watching without craning my neck or eyes. When setting mine up I also tried to take into account my eyeglasses as I have no-line bifocals. I didn't want to have to adjust myself so I wouldn't be looking through the bifocals.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (01-23-2017)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    Neither my wife or I recline to watch TV.
    So, the 30" high stand our TV is on is perfect.
    If we reclined, then the TV would have to be 12" from the ceiling
    the high mounting would be required so we would not be fighting our bifocal sweetspots.

As the TV is, we can simply glance over the laptop, and see the TV.

I would not want it more than 6" higher, because of how we view.

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    My 65" in bedroom is mounted 3" from ceiling so I can lay in bed and watch it. The problem when I first put it in I had a hard times turning it off. When I sold video at Best Buy we told people to ste the center just above the line of site. This is most comfortable to most people. I just tried to take pic but being night time got a crappy picture.
    Maddog likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    You have to take into account the position you are in when viewing ("most" of the time) and sort of go from there. If you're sitting upright, you can measure the height your eyes are above the floor and target that for the approximate mid-height line of the TV. If you're reclined, and your viewing angle is more naturally up-slope, the mid-height of the TV could be quite a bit higher.

My Family Room TV is currently sitting on its stand, on a coffee table.I am taking down the mount from the previous set and installing a new one that's stronger and has a much better tilt mechanism to it. When it goes back on the wall, it will be 6"-8" higher than what the mid-line height "should be" based on how high off the floor our eyes are. This is on purpose because the couch has recliners and also tilts back just a little bit. So, you're able to be very comfortable while looking just slightly uphill.

The set in the bedroom is mounted about 6" from the ceiling (and it's a large screen). This takes into consideration the fact that watching TV in bed is from a reclined position.

Tilt comes into play in most mounting positions because you want to be viewing the screen as straight on as possible from whatever angle. So, if you're going to be mounting the set very high or on the low side, a tilt mount makes sense. If you're mounting it slightly above "eye height", most mounts will end up allowing the TV to tilt down slightly because of weight so it isn't AS important.

If you have a table that you can set the TV on on its stand, start there and see how you like it. No holes in the wall way to test out a starting point.
    Maddog and Drifterbike like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    This didn't come out as well as I thought it would.....

Sitting in my chair, with my feet up, my head resting back, and my iPad directly in front of my face. The angle of the TV is perfectly square with the front of my face.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0233.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	303258

Hard to tell from the pic but it is tilted down quite a bit.

Now this is a small room - 14' x 14'. I used the calculators found on-line to find the size TV. My face is 9' from the TV which indicated a 40" screen. It is the perfect size for the room and my viewing distance as far as I am concerned. You folks with 55" & 65" TV's must have huge rooms and be sitting 15'-20' away from the screen.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast