Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Question about a DVD connection

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Question about a DVD connection

I recently bought a new LG 55" TV. To avoid having to switch connection set ups, I need to buy a new DVD player as the one I have now is not HDMI or rated 4k UHD.

Here's my question: My TV signal is satellite & the TV screen is connected to the satellite controller box by HDMI cable. The back of my set has three HDMI connections. The TV is currently connected into HDMI 1 from the satellite box. So if I get a new HDMI DVD player do I plug it into any one of the other HDMI slots & WILL the TV find the DVD player or must I go & still change connection settings?

I'm sorry for the long winded & stupid question I'm asking, but the truth is I really stink at this electronic high tech junk. It took me like eight hours to get the TV to work. Everything is ON Screen, but if you don't know an HDMI from a ASI (I made up the ASI) or whatever, your basically screwed.

I just spent another two hours this morning getting my old DVD player to work with this TV. My old DVD player is giving me disc loading problems & it's six years old so I don't mind buying a new one with the HDMI connection, but I don't want to have to go through all those setting changes just to use it every time. Thanks for the advice & info. I hope you can understand my question. If you need more info just let me know. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    You would plug the DVD into a second HDMI port - like HDMI2. Then when you want to switch from sat to DVD or back you will use your TV remote and hit the "source" or "input" button. A menu will come up on screen and use the arrow buttons to choose, then the enter button. Then you would control the DVD player with the remote that came with it.

You can try this before you hook anything up. Just be sure to choose your HDMI 1 to get back to your SAT tv.
    glc and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    You would plug the DVD into a second HDMI port - like HDMI2. Then when you want to switch from sat to DVD or back you will use your TV remote and hit the "source" or "input" button. A menu will come up on screen and use the arrow buttons to choose, then the enter button. Then you would control the DVD player with the remote that came with it.

You can try this before you hook anything up. Just be sure to choose your HDMI 1 to get back to your SAT tv.
    Thank you! While messing around with this stuff I did see the menu with the HDMI2 & HDMI3 selections. That answers my questions. And I now understand the switching between HDMI slots & the use of the DVD remote. So why can't these people who engineer this stuff throw in a simple printed explanation of this stuff like you just did here. Not everybody has grown up with this stuff. My first computer was PCDD. Short for "portable communication device with delete". Most of us would simply call it a pencil.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Thank you! While messing around with this stuff I did see the menu with the HDMI2 & HDMI3 selections. That answers my questions. And I now understand the switching between HDMI slots & the use of the DVD remote. So why can't these people who engineer this stuff throw in a simple printed explanation of this stuff like you just did here. Not everybody has grown up with this stuff. My first computer was PCDD. Short for "portable communication device with delete". Most of us would simply call it a pencil.
    It is all assumed now I guess. It's all trial and error for us older folks.

That's like the icons on stuff like youtube for sharing or email - how is anyone supposed to know what those goofy little graphics mean? There is no such thing as "menu" anymore.
    glc, Maddog and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks
    I'm not sure how LG works but on Samsung when you turn on the DVD/Blu-ray player the TV automatically senses the signal and says "switching to ANYNET+"
    It looks like that is a trade name but LG has the same thing called SimpLink"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Maddog, Drifterbike and Arvada like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:15 AM
    Thanks
    Sony tv,dvd sense each other as well, it does not auto change the source, but changes the name to the item that is connected, my ROKU 3 box also is named that in the source. Makes it a little easier to know what you are changing to if you have lots connected.
    Maddog and Drifterbike like this.
    Don

2016 1025R w/Tektite cab
    h120 FEL 53"
    54" Blower
    weight box
    IMatch quick hitch
    3" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks,Differential Pedal Extension and Seat Spring Upgrade

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by surveyor View Post
    I'm not sure how LG works but on Samsung when you turn on the DVD/Blu-ray player the TV automatically senses the signal and says "switching to ANYNET+"
    It looks like that is a trade name but LG has the same thing called SimpLink"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Your correct. While messing around with the various settings on my new LG, I did see "SimpLink
    ". I read it but did not understand what it was telling me. I need to go back in & find those instructions again. And also I've somewhat decided to try a Samsung blueray/dvd player. The one being sold as rated 4k UHD is on sale out here at Walmart for $98. I think. When I get the new player I will go back to that SimpLink instruction & see if I can get it working with the new player. Sounds like this Simpleton can use a SimpLink.
    Drifterbike likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    OK - my turn for a dumb question.....what is blueray? I've seen the term before on electronics websites but have no idea what it is.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    OK - my turn for a dumb question.....what is blueray? I've seen the term before on electronics websites but have no idea what it is.

It is just an upgraded higher quality DVD.

DAve
    coaltrain and Drifterbike like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

coaltrain (01-29-2017)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Your correct. While messing around with the various settings on my new LG, I did see "SimpLink
    ". I read it but did not understand what it was telling me. I need to go back in & find those instructions again. And also I've somewhat decided to try a Samsung blueray/dvd player. The one being sold as rated 4k UHD is on sale out here at Walmart for $98. I think. When I get the new player I will go back to that SimpLink instruction & see if I can get it working with the new player. Sounds like this Simpleton can use a SimpLink.
    That is not always a good thing. If you are watching something on satellite & accidentally push a button on the DVD remote, the TV will switch to the DVD player. I have a Amazon Fire TV box. All I have to do is move the Fire TV remote & the TV will switch to it. I have the remotes laying on an end table. I was always bumping the Fire TV remote when laying papers & magazines on the table. I ended up turning the feature off in the TV settings.
    Maddog and Drifterbike like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast