• 1 Post By ilmo
  • 1 Post By meburdick

Thread: Sendin photos with Windows 10

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Sendin photos with Windows 10

Whenever I send a photo from my computer, with Microsoft's Live mail, it takes forever. It takes so long just to send a single photo That I no longer send any. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or not doing! No one I know has this problem but I can't figure it out. Help anyone! I would like to get this fixed because I have photos I would like to send now & then to GTT & friends.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Thanks
    Have you tried using another email program? Or tried sending them with your MS Live account on a different computer?
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks
    My first thought is, how fast is your upload speed? And how big are the pictures you are sending? You can check your up/download speeds at a place like Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test, and right click on the image file and look at properties to see how big it is. If your upload speed is really slow and the files are really big, that could be part of the problem.

A second factor may be that time is being spent on the server side to do things like virus checking before it shows up as an attachment.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Have you tried using another email program? Or tried sending them with your MS Live account on a different computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by wsafley View Post
    My first thought is, how fast is your upload speed? And how big are the pictures you are sending? You can check your up/download speeds at a place like Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test, and right click on the image file and look at properties to see how big it is. If your upload speed is really slow and the files are really big, that could be part of the problem.

A second factor may be that time is being spent on the server side to do things like virus checking before it shows up as an attachment.
    Thanks- I will have to check out the points & suggestions you have made here.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    I just did a test with my Live email account (which I don't use that often) uploading a 3mb picture which I think is equivalent to a 14 megapixel picture. It "attached as a copy" within 45 seconds and I was able to send it to another email account I have. Opened up the other email and the picture was there in less than a minute.

My download and upload speeds are not that fast, but are very reliable (Frontier Communications SUCKS) and my ISP gets the job done for most things I want to do. You may want to check your ISP speeds.

Download Speed: 1619 kbps (202.4 KB/sec transfer rate) or 1.6Mbps
    Upload Speed: 588 kbps (73.5 KB/sec transfer rate) or 0.59Mbps

I do not watch Hulu, Netflix, or any other long streaming movies or videos, but do watch Youtube some and have no problems at my speeds. Did I say Frontier Communications SUCKS? Well, they do.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post
    I just did a test with my Live email account (which I don't use that often) uploading a 3mb picture which I think is equivalent to a 14 megapixel picture. It "attached as a copy" within 45 seconds and I was able to send it to another email account I have. Opened up the other email and the picture was there in less than a minute.
    Good to have some solid numbers to compare against. And that brings up another question. To some people, 45 seconds seems like a long time when they are doing this sort of thing, it is very subjective. I wonder how long Maddog's "forever" is in seconds...

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wsafley View Post
    Good to have some solid numbers to compare against. And that brings up another question. To some people, 45 seconds seems like a long time when they are doing this sort of thing, it is very subjective. I wonder how long Maddog's "forever" is in seconds...
    This.

For me, a 3MB file should upload in about 10-15 seconds, especially considering I can send them from my phone in that time or less. But, I also have my capabilities "at a certain level" to facilitate that.

One additional test that hasn't been mentioned, but may be worth while, would be to open up a Gmail account (unless you have one already) and perform the exact same test using it. Same photo file, no other programs running, and send it over to your MS account. See how long the file upload portion takes using Google's services and see if any portion of the time that it takes has to do with MS or not.

Another thing to take away from wsafley's comment about virus checking is this: You should be able to tell when the upload itself actually completes if there's a pop-up window or something that goes away versus waiting until it refreshes into the message as an attachment. You have zero control over how long the refresh portion takes while your Internet services are what impact the upload portion.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements