Could I really replace my own graphics card?

Thread: Could I really replace my own graphics card?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks

Could I really replace my own graphics card?

Last year the "graphics card" (WTI?) was replaced in my desktop, the fan was making noise. Less than a year later it's doing it again and the repair guy sez it's under warranty, "Just pull it out and bring it in, the company wants to test it before replaceing it."

My idea is, IF I can do the out/in myself, to replace the device with a new one and save on the mailing, testing, mailing back time.

I read several How To's on how to do the deed, but is it really as simple as the websites say? Also, how do the "drivers" install, do they come with the card, CD?

I will hate computers less if I really can do this myself!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, it is as easy as it seems. The drivers will come on a disk but most will auto detect and load. Do not be afraid.

Make sure you touch part of the computers metal frame before the card in case you have any static energy built up.

Brian

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    It really is that easy. Depending on the computer maker, it is one screw, or a simple little lever that holds it in. Pull/wiggle it out gently. Line the new one up and push it in gently, tighten the screw.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, it is that easy. However, a couple of points to remember. Always unplug the power cord when working inside the computer. But you must ground yourself to remove static electricity as that can fry your components. The easiest way to do that is to touch the metal frame of the pc after you have it opened up and just before you unplug the power cord. That should last long enough to allow you to remove the video card. Secondly, there are more than one type of video card, so I would recommend that you take the old one with you wen you go to buy a new one. That should enable you to get the correct new one. Remember to do the static electricity grounding again before installing the new one. The PC should recognize the new card right away and install basic drivers for it that will work until you can insert the CD and install the new drivers that are specific to that video card. Hope this helps.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Guys, thanks so much! The tech showed me how to open the case (H-P 8120n) when he was here last year with the first repair and he also showed me how to dust out the insides safely. I took special note re. the "grounding" from the web sites instructions and the tech and now I'll be sure to do it right.

The computer guys downtown are very nice and I'm sure we can work around the new hardware problem to our mutual benefit. I just can"t have this machine down for as long as the warranty business will take.

Thanks again! And I'll let you know how I make out.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Thanks
    Harold,drivers are constantly being updated.
    It may be best to get the latest version from the chipset makers website. More than likely your card is either an Nvidia or ATI (Radeon).
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Harold,drivers are constantly being updated.
    It may be best to get the latest version from the chipset makers website. More than likely your card is either an Nvidia or ATI (Radeon).
    I have an Nvidia Settings icon in the tray so I guess that's the brand. I think next week will begin "The Big Expedition" into Motherboardland with all the hidden pitfalls. I can't shut down until then.\

Stay tuned...

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:19 PM
    Thanks
    Harold, it is fairly easy to open up the case and pull the video card yourself. But if you're hesitant, and you're going to bring the video card to the computer repair store anyways, why don't you just unhook the entire PC and bring it in? There can't be more than 5 or 6 cords hooked into the back, and you really can't plug the cords into the wrong sockets. Just take a pic of the back before you start unplugging if you're worried about where everything goes.

I know that you live fairly close to me, I can come by and guide you if you want. I used to build my own PC's many years ago, and still work with them on occasion today. Let me know.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    "There can't be more than 5 or 6 cords hooked into the back, and you really can't plug the cords into the wrong sockets."

I got them babies labeled from the last excursion down town!

"I know that you live fairly close to me, I can come by and guide you if you want."

I really appreciate that Tom, but I gotta "leave the nest" sometime so I'll try the extraction myself! It quiets down after about 20 minutes and I still can't shut down yet for communications reasons. Thanks again!!!

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-23-2014 @ 06:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yes, it is as easy as it seems. The drivers will come on a disk but most will auto detect and load. Do not be afraid.

Make sure you touch part of the computers metal frame before the card in case you have any static energy built up.
    i agree.. i just recently changed mine and it was`nt that much difficult.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements