Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Aspect Ratio Oqestion

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Aspect Ratio Oqestion

I now have a new Samsung Blueray-DVD player along with a new LG 55" UHD TV. Here is the problem I'm having.

No matter how I fool around with the Aspect ratio settings on the DVD player I can't get it to go to Full Screen View when playing a DVD. Every time I load up a new movie DVD disc I get the video in the "Letterbox" format. Both the TV and the DVD player have aspect ratio settings but I'm having no luck getting a full screen view with the DVD's. If I'm watching regular TV which is a Dish feed, I can control the aspect ratio with the Dish remote. The user manuals that come with the DVD, the TV & the Dish, give no clue on setup or how Aspect Ratio works.

I'm not against progress or technology, but sometimes all this electronic crap really gets to me. I use to watch TV by turning the TV on. Now I have four stinking remote controls to screw with to turn the TV on. People look at me as if I just left the cave because all I have is a simple cell phone that can only make or answer a phone call. Everybody tell me I should get a Smart Phone. When I ask them Why- they have no answer. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    pcabe5 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Wish I could help. This is one of those have to be there things for me, have the remotes in hand.

Does it matter whether you play Blu-Ray or Standard DVD?
    pcabe5 and Maddog like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I've never owned or viewed a DVD but remeber reading about this when learning about aspect ratios.

You'll have to read the entire article - but it references movies on DVD and why you will see it in Letterbox format. In summary - most movies are recorded in a wider format than our 16:9 TVs and that is the way they will display.

https://www.cnet.com/news/widescreen...aspect-ratios/

You can force your TV to see these movies in full screen but you will loose some of the picture plus it will likely be distorted.

I have to do the same (actually the opposite) to view my analog cable on my 16:9 TV. In the TV settings under aspect ratio, there is a "zoom" feature that will enable me to see the 4:3 TV signal to be viewed full screen. But I loose the top and bottom of the picture I am viewing. For example when there is a caption along the bottom of the screen I can't see it - sometimes just the very top of the letters.
    pcabe5 and spferdil like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Forgot to add - take a look at the back label (or inside) fine print - I think it may tell you if the movie will be seen in letterbox format if viewed on a TV.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Welcome to the bane of formats. I too thought that once HDTV became the standard that movies would fill the screen... not so. When working with video 16:9 (1.78:1) and 4:3 are popular. But with cinematic movies they like to use 1.85:1 and 2.39:1. So they still letterbox even on a HDTV. :-(

So while you have that nice big screen, movies are still only using a portion of it.

Some players allow you to set a zoom setting to fill the screen but then you either cut off the sides or distort the image.

It's best just to stick with the letterbox.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I've never owned or viewed a DVD but remeber reading about this when learning about aspect ratios.

You'll have to read the entire article - but it references movies on DVD and why you will see it in Letterbox format. In summary - most movies are recorded in a wider format than our 16:9 TVs and that is the way they will display.

https://www.cnet.com/news/widescreen...aspect-ratios/

You can force your TV to see these movies in full screen but you will loose some of the picture plus it will likely be distorted.

I have to do the same (actually the opposite) to view my analog cable on my 16:9 TV. In the TV settings under aspect ratio, there is a "zoom" feature that will enable me to see the 4:3 TV signal to be viewed full screen. But I loose the top and bottom of the picture I am viewing. For example when there is a caption along the bottom of the screen I can't see it - sometimes just the very top of the letters.
    Thanks- Read the info at the link you gave. Gets very confusing. I've only seen two relatively new movie releases on DVD discs One was "Arrival" & the other was "Jack Reacher". Both displayed in letterbox format. My wife gets more annoyed at it than I do because her claim is if I got this big TV screen then I should see everything in full. I guess that is a valid point.

Does everything have to be so complex & complicated I keep asking myself. And the answer is yes. The more frustrated you become with something the more likely you will go out & buy the NEW & IMPROVED version of the same old same old. Does any of it make any sense. Getting back to my wife. This crap caused me to yell at her. Told her if she wants the giant full screen, the surround sound & the Popcorn, she can go to the freakin movie house. She snaps back and yells at me the freakin movie house no longer has the big screen because they turned it into ten little theaters & the popcorn is as stale as the recirculated air.
    Well I guess I lost that shouting match.
    pcabe5, spferdil and coaltrain like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I agree in that you would think these things could be simplified.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Sounds like a settings issues with the TV or DVD player. How do you have the TV and DVD player connected?

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You mention that you have tried to modify the DVD player settings without the success you wanted. I just checked my Samsung 4K 9 series TV and find that there is a setting under PICTURE/PICTURE SIZE that allows you to select FIT TO SCREEN then AUTO. You might try changing the setting in the TV itself. I also have a Samsung DVD BluRay player, but have never had to make any changes, so do not know how much of a change this will make.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    You mention that you have tried to modify the DVD player settings without the success you wanted. I just checked my Samsung 4K 9 series TV and find that there is a setting under PICTURE/PICTURE SIZE that allows you to select FIT TO SCREEN then AUTO.
    There is no magic when it comes to aspect ratio. If you "fit to screen" it's either going to zoom in to fill the top and bottom, resulting in the sides being cut off or it's going to stretch the picture vertically resulting in a distorted image.

It's similar printing a 1024x768 photo on a 4x6 sheet of paper. You're going to have to trim something off. :-)
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast