ASV RC100 question

Thread: ASV RC100 question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    03-05-2019 @ 06:53 AM
    Thanks

ASV RC100 question

I'm thinking about getting a skid steer of some sort for home use. I'm not a contractor, I'm just going to use it around 100 acres of property for working on my trails, making new ones, getting firewood, snow removal, ect. I might average 150 - 200 hours a year on it.

I definitely want tracks for it. HP size I'm not sure yet. Probably 50+. I ran across a 2005, ASV RC100. The price seems good, it appears to be in good shape with about 2,000 hours on it. It has the heated/AC cab with it, hi and low flow hydraulics and it may have the quick change mounting system so you don't have to get out of the cab to connect attachments.

My questions are:

Anyone have experience with an ASV and how well they hold up maintenance wise?

Are there any common problems with them?

I am curious about their track system. How well does that whole assembly hold up with the tracks, all of the idler wheels, and undercarriage? Is it alot of maintenance and repair work?

Comparing the tracked ASV to a standard skid steer that has tires does one system have less maintenance?

Do these ASV's or a skid steer with tracks go through muddy/semi swampy areas well?

Do tracks get good traction for plowing snow compared to tires?

I've considered a standard skid steer with the tires and then getting the removable tracks too, but at the moment this ASV appears to be alot of bang for my buck so I'm exploring this option first.
    - Mike - 2012 John Deere 3320 eHydro with cab, 300cx loader

John Deere 6' 6" 3 point snow blower, Frontier 48" pallet forks, King Kutter 5' box blade, 6' back blade, 5' rake, 5' tiller, and 5' brush hog, Northstar log splitter, Chief 22 gpm PTO pump, 8'6" hydraulic V-Plow, BXpanded 72" Piranha toothbar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,084 Posts
    I don't have any personal experience, but I've read a lot of bad things about the ASV being unreliable and difficult to get parts for. Actually ran across a lot of reports of track/ undercarriage problems. You may want to check on parts availability in your area before looking at the machine too hard.

For what it's worth, I've liked every New Holland skidsteer I've ran.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-05-2019 @ 06:53 AM
    Thanks
    I'm looking at trading in my 3320 Deere and this ASV was on the lot at a fair price and looks to be in nice shape. I did read some similar things as you did which is why I posted this. It sounds like when working, the ASV is the Cadillac of the tracked styled machines. It does sound like there is a great deal of expense and possible maintenance/repair issues with the under carriage.

I may lean towards a wheeled skid steer and then get some tracks. I'm looking for something with an enclosed cab with heat and AC, high flow pump, and 60HP or more. I'll keep looking around and I'll check into this ASV more.
    - Mike - 2012 John Deere 3320 eHydro with cab, 300cx loader

John Deere 6' 6" 3 point snow blower, Frontier 48" pallet forks, King Kutter 5' box blade, 6' back blade, 5' rake, 5' tiller, and 5' brush hog, Northstar log splitter, Chief 22 gpm PTO pump, 8'6" hydraulic V-Plow, BXpanded 72" Piranha toothbar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements