Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 35D Mini Excavator wont start

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-15-2017 @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks

35D Mini Excavator wont start

Hello,

I have a John Deer 35D mini Excavator that I picked up in Kansas from an auction. It apparently ran during the auction but when I got to the equipment yard it wouldn't start. The yard attendant tried to jump it with no luck. The battery looked pretty beat up so I had him load it with the fork lift and rolled out.

Today we threw on a new battery and still no luck.

Turn the key to the warm position and the gauges light up.... Turn to "on" position and nothing... Then turn the key to start and the gauges light up but it won't turn over. No clicking of the starter either.

Is there some type of a kill switch on these that I'm missing? I couldn't find the starter location either. I feel like I could be missing something simple. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    https://youtu.be/eUJhBmjU7EI

This is a video showing whats happening
    Last edited by oldred98; 10-15-2017 at 01:23 AM.
    BigJim55, raco232 and buckteeth445 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    See if Deere has an online owners manual. Sounds like a safety switch might be holding you out? I'm just guessing here. Other than the typical trans neutral, hydro neutral, seat and parking brake switch, I don't know what else to look for at this point. Stay tuned, as someone here will guide you into success!
    MDrew, BigJim55 and oldred98 like this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks

Kill switch

I've only been on only a few excavators and they all had kill switches but nothing lit up when they were thrown. Some excavators won't start unless the door is closed and latched. There may be a door lever that has to be moved as well, not sure about a seat belt safety switch.

It really sounds like there's a safety switch somewhere in the machine that's not happy.

Treefarmer
    Gizmo2, MDrew, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,032 Posts
    i rented a excavator similar to urs over the labor day holiday. it worked wonderful till i loaded it on our friends trailer. it did the same thing that urs is doing. the next morning when we delivered it back to the rental place. for an hr or more they read the book-tested things. wasn't until they dropped a skid pan inspection plate on the motor-did they find the problem-a small wire on the starter had slipped off the solenoid-which was letting juice to the starter. put that back on-and bang it started.
    maybe mine is just one in a million-but i think u should drop ur inspection plate-and look around some. good luck.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I couldn't seem to find a kill switch anywhere... Not to say there isn't one.

When I picked the machine up, one of the lot guys told me they've had problems with people coming in to look at the equipment being sold and sabotaging it so they can buy it for a cheaper price. I'm hoping thats not the case here.

I'll start by trying to track down the starter and see if we are getting power there. I still feel like its something simple like a kill switch or loose wire.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred98 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I couldn't seem to find a kill switch anywhere... Not to say there isn't one.

When I picked the machine up, one of the lot guys told me they've had problems with people coming in to look at the equipment being sold and sabotaging it so they can buy it for a cheaper price. I'm hoping thats not the case here.

I'll start by trying to track down the starter and see if we are getting power there. I still feel like its something simple like a kill switch or loose wire.
    If that's the case it's a real pisser. Keep us updated.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

Resolved

I tilted up the cab and use my test light to figure out we have power at the starter. And all the wires look good. I couldn't locate a fuse panel diagram but noticed there werent many fuses in the panel. I just started plugging in spare fuses to every blank slot and sure enough. Bam started right up. Someone stole the fuses out of the panel.

Thank for everyone's help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to oldred98 For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (10-16-2017)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks

Thanks

I tilted up the cab and use my test light to figure out we have power at the starter. And all the wires look good. I couldn't locate a fuse panel diagram but noticed there werent many fuses in the panel. I just started plugging in spare fuses to every blank slot and sure enough. Bam started right up. Someone stole the fuses out of the panel.

Thanks for the update- glad you got it going.

That's just plain dirty pool if someone pulled the fuse to try and buy it cheaper.

Treefarmer
    OxPath, BigJim55 and raco232 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,032 Posts

well glad it was only fuses missing for sure. probably someone else needed a fuse for their machine when they was picking it up at the lot-and ur machine just so happened to be close. hope u have many yrs with it. i know after running one here -i sure would love to have one.
    OxPath and raco232 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast