My equipment choices are based on how close the dealer is. So that leaves me with John Deere, Kubota, Cat, and Volvo. Iíve been talking to my Deere dealer, whom Iím a big fan of, and am leaning toward a 35D with a cab, extended arm, and thumb. The price is about right for a new one. Iíd need to save up a little more for something bigger, and that is totally fine. Rather buy the right thing than get the wrong thing right away.
There are a few small projects I plan to rent a Kubota for (only decent test drive rental option) and the choices are a KX040 or U55 in comparison to the size Iím after for ownership.
Cat seems to have a lot of exposed lines that look like potential problems in the woods and I know absolutely nothing about the Volvo.
What am I doing:
- Maintaining my residence and attached wood lot
- Digging up stumps
- Log hoist for lumber mill and firewood processing
Whatís un and important:
- Reach with a load
- Lifting capabilities
- Digging depth is not as important. I have gotten to plenty of root balls with a tractor, and Iím not digging foundations.
- Does the brand matter that much?
- Is resale dramatically different between Deere and Kubota?
- Iím torn between the power of the 50D and the size of the 35D. The 35D is the better size for maneuvering around the woods, but I am a subscriber in the buy more power than you need theory. Any thoughts you might have on this?