Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: In the market for a mini woods excavator

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-21-2018 @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks

In the market for a mini woods excavator

My equipment choices are based on how close the dealer is. So that leaves me with John Deere, Kubota, Cat, and Volvo. Iíve been talking to my Deere dealer, whom Iím a big fan of, and am leaning toward a 35D with a cab, extended arm, and thumb. The price is about right for a new one. Iíd need to save up a little more for something bigger, and that is totally fine. Rather buy the right thing than get the wrong thing right away.

There are a few small projects I plan to rent a Kubota for (only decent test drive rental option) and the choices are a KX040 or U55 in comparison to the size Iím after for ownership.

Cat seems to have a lot of exposed lines that look like potential problems in the woods and I know absolutely nothing about the Volvo.

What am I doing:
    • Maintaining my residence and attached wood lot
    • Digging up stumps
    • Grading
    • Trenching
    • Log hoist for lumber mill and firewood processing

Whatís un and important:
    • Reach with a load
    • Lifting capabilities
    • Digging depth is not as important. I have gotten to plenty of root balls with a tractor, and Iím not digging foundations.

Questions:
    1. Does the brand matter that much?
    2. Is resale dramatically different between Deere and Kubota?
    3. Iím torn between the power of the 50D and the size of the 35D. The 35D is the better size for maneuvering around the woods, but I am a subscriber in the buy more power than you need theory. Any thoughts you might have on this?
    Managing a 40 acre woodlot'd homestead. JD 4066R Cab | 440R | 3rd,4th,5th SCV | JD 60" Root Grapple | Frontier BB4284H 84" Box Blade | JD Bucket | JD 48 Pallet Forks | JD PHD400 Post Hole Digger | Wallenstein FX90 Skidding Winch | Wallenstein BX62R Chipper. The 1025R keeps the drive clear in the winter and the grasses' ears lowered | Mauser Cab | 60" mowing deck | 54" JD Blower | JD Salt/Sand Spreader | JD 60" rake | DR Power 1 ton Versa Trailer. Gone JD's, but not forgotten: X530 & 4052M.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
    My equipment choices are based on how close the dealer is. So that leaves me with John Deere, Kubota, Cat, and Volvo. Iíve been talking to my Deere dealer, whom Iím a big fan of, and am leaning toward a 35D with a cab, extended arm, and thumb. The price is about right for a new one. Iíd need to save up a little more for something bigger, and that is totally fine. Rather buy the right thing than get the wrong thing right away.

There are a few small projects I plan to rent a Kubota for (only decent test drive rental option) and the choices are a KX040 or U55 in comparison to the size Iím after for ownership.

Cat seems to have a lot of exposed lines that look like potential problems in the woods and I know absolutely nothing about the Volvo.

What am I doing:
    • Maintaining my residence and attached wood lot
    • Digging up stumps
    • Grading
    • Trenching
    • Log hoist for lumber mill and firewood processing

Whatís un and important:
    • Reach with a load
    • Lifting capabilities
    • Digging depth is not as important. I have gotten to plenty of root balls with a tractor, and Iím not digging foundations.

Questions:
    1. Does the brand matter that much?
    2. Is resale dramatically different between Deere and Kubota?
    3. Iím torn between the power of the 50D and the size of the 35D. The 35D is the better size for maneuvering around the woods, but I am a subscriber in the buy more power than you need theory. Any thoughts you might have on this?

I cannot help you with brand selection, as I've got the Case 17C, and that is not on your list.

Perhaps I CAN help you on the size discussion. I find that the 17 size is not very heavy for digging/prying at a distance. It takes practice and maneuvering to always be prying straight up. Otherwise, it is quite tippy.

If you can transport the larger one, and if it fits in your shed and in your budget, I think this would be the best bet.
    One other concern on a '50' is the overall weight for transport. Are you able to stay under the 26,000lb GVW CDL limit with your truck/trailer, and Mini-ex?

Tim
    Levi likes this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-21-2018 @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks Tim and good question. I do not have to worry about transport. The dealer will drop it off and it will live on my property.
    Gizmo2 and Levi like this.
    Managing a 40 acre woodlot'd homestead. JD 4066R Cab | 440R | 3rd,4th,5th SCV | JD 60" Root Grapple | Frontier BB4284H 84" Box Blade | JD Bucket | JD 48 Pallet Forks | JD PHD400 Post Hole Digger | Wallenstein FX90 Skidding Winch | Wallenstein BX62R Chipper. The 1025R keeps the drive clear in the winter and the grasses' ears lowered | Mauser Cab | 60" mowing deck | 54" JD Blower | JD Salt/Sand Spreader | JD 60" rake | DR Power 1 ton Versa Trailer. Gone JD's, but not forgotten: X530 & 4052M.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,823 Posts
    A friend of mine has a 50D, very nice machine, IMO.
    I would not be afraid of getting the 35D.
    I just looked at a 26G and if I were a bit younger I would have bought it for personal use.
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 04-16-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Poindexter like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks

mini

All of those machines are good , have run them . You want a 4/5 ton machine . You will appreciate the weight with stumps . Just my thoughts , Kevin.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks

Inexperienced user

I am definitely not an experienced user so this advice might be worth exactly what you paid for it. My first experience on a excavator was when we were cleaning up some land. The farmer rented a large Cat and brought his somewhat smaller Deere. The smaller machine was still pretty good sized with 30 foot reach or so.

The owner asked me if I could run the Deere restacking debris, showed me the controls and left. After 4-5 hours, I felt pretty comfortable on it. It had a fixed thumb but a hydraulic one would be handy because it would increase the radius where the bucket and thumb could pick up something.

I played with two Cat machines with mulching heads. Fun to play with but for mulching, bigger was better. More reach, wider head and more hydraulic power to the head. I would go with as large a machine as your budget allows depending on whether you have to fit it in tight spaces. I'm not sure the exposed lines would bother me too much as I don't intend to bang the boom into stuff.

Ultimately, I'd lean toward the machine with the best dealer support. I like renting that type equipment unless it's something you are going to use a lot. It's pretty expensive to buy if it's going to sit idle 11 1/2 months out of the year.

There are some experienced heavy equipment operators on here. I'd pay more attention to them than to my newby comments.

By the way, I want one as well but it will probably have to but under 10,000 lbs so I can move it or actually, my brother could move it. It's either that or rent. I'll probably rent when I really need one.

Treefarmer
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:37 AM
    Thanks
    I've rented four different mini excavators over the years.

My favorite was this CAT as it was the smoothest operating one of the bunch. It was also the largest of the four I rented. All it needed was AC to make it perfect.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	DSC03943.jpg†
Views:	4†
Size:	64.2 KB†
ID:	593154 Click image for larger version.†

Name:	DSC03944.jpg†
Views:	4†
Size:	69.5 KB†
ID:	593162

My next favorite was a Bobcat; though it had been rode hard and put away wet over the years by previous renters.

After that was a small Yanmar. A nice mini-ex; but damn that thing was cramped.

The worst one I rented was a brand new Terex from Home Cheapot. Either it wasn't set up properly by the dealer before turning it over to HD, or the manufacturer produced a turd; but that blasted thing was like riding a bucking bronco when traveling the machine.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 PM
    Thanks
    All three you picked are good machines.
    Of course the Cat is gonna the most expensive. My uncle has a 302 i believe. Great machine except his has a full cab and no AC. It gets brutal in that little cab in summer.
    Good luck with whatever you choose. I do recommend the hydraulic thumb as it's extremely handy.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    I was seriously considering buying a used construction loader/backhoe several months ago and looked at a ton of equipment on-line at Iron Planet (auction house I bought a Komatsu dozer from), equipment trader, etc., etc. What I discovered was a definite hierarchy in resale value (if that matters to you):

1 - Cat by far has a premium resale value
    2 - Deere
    3 - Case
    4 - the "also rans" JCB, Volvo, Hitachi and on and on...
    mjncad, Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin37b View Post
    All of those machines are good , have run them . You want a 4/5 ton machine . You will appreciate the weight with stumps . Just my thoughts , Kevin.

Definitely this. The difference between pulling stumps with a 12k machine versus a 7k machine is night and day. Been down that road before!

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I am definitely not an experienced user so this advice might be worth exactly what you paid for it. My first experience on a excavator was when we were cleaning up some land. The farmer rented a large Cat and brought his somewhat smaller Deere. The smaller machine was still pretty good sized with 30 foot reach or so.

The owner asked me if I could run the Deere restacking debris, showed me the controls and left. After 4-5 hours, I felt pretty comfortable on it. It had a fixed thumb but a hydraulic one would be handy because it would increase the radius where the bucket and thumb could pick up something.

I played with two Cat machines with mulching heads. Fun to play with but for mulching, bigger was better. More reach, wider head and more hydraulic power to the head. I would go with as large a machine as your budget allows depending on whether you have to fit it in tight spaces. I'm not sure the exposed lines would bother me too much as I don't intend to bang the boom into stuff.

Ultimately, I'd lean toward the machine with the best dealer support. I like renting that type equipment unless it's something you are going to use a lot. It's pretty expensive to buy if it's going to sit idle 11 1/2 months out of the year.

There are some experienced heavy equipment operators on here. I'd pay more attention to them than to my newby comments.

By the way, I want one as well but it will probably have to but under 10,000 lbs so I can move it or actually, my brother could move it. It's either that or rent. I'll probably rent when I really need one.

Treefarmer

+1

Unless you're running it commercially, you're going to throw away lots of money owning one of these (mind you, they keep their equity extremely well). They are pretty use-specific. They are a hassle to transport (can't just drive down the road with it). And the parts list will make your eyes water (ever replace a final drive?) It's kind of the same issue with digging post holes. Yes, I suppose I could just buy a PHD for the rental of a decent 10k weight skidsteer with the auger attachment. But my tractor's three-point doesn't provide down-pressure, which the skidsteer does. Little details like that matter.

I have my little 46 backhoe for the regular, smaller projects. If I need something bigger, I pull out my commercial liability and rent the exact machine I need for the job. That obviously won't work for homeowners, but most places will give you a pretty decent selection of mini (or mid-size) machines if that's the case.
    Last edited by firemachine69; 04-19-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to firemachine69 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2†(04-19-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast