• 1 Post By rwmeyer
  • 1 Post By blue87fj60

Thread: Grease Fitting Problems-319D

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-18-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Thanks

Grease Fitting Problems-319D

I purchased a used 391D CTL last fall and it just hit the 50 hour maintenance point. I got all of the points re-greased except 2, the 2 which connect the hydraulic ram to the boom on the rear of the machine. I raised the boom and locked the safety stud out and lowered the boom back down onto it. First, neither fitting would allow any grease in. My electric grease gun over pressure valve released on each side. I assumed I had 2 bad grease fittings. Today I pull them out, put them back on the gun and they work fine, the grease is flowing normally through them into the trash. Then problem #2 arrises: I can't get them threaded back into the holes straight. They go in smoothly and without resistance, they don't appear damaged due to cross threading. Does anyone have a clue what the heck I am doing wrong? Does the boom need to be in a different position?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks
    I gotta think your fittings are threading into a round surface. This can be quite frustrating trying to get them in straight, to say the least! Install them by hand until they're in there straight...and it may take 10 tries or more! Patience and perseverance is the ONLY way! Once they finally look straight and go in 3 or 4 turns by hand, put the wrench to them and then the grease gun.

As far as the fitting not taking grease, you could have old, hardened grease in your pin bore or the pin could be tight against the hole for the grease...try moving your boom(?) to a different position. Bob
    mtrmn likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-18-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    I gotta think your fittings are threading into a round surface. This can be quite frustrating trying to get them in straight, to say the least! Install them by hand until they're in there straight...and it may take 10 tries or more! Patience and perseverance is the ONLY way! Once they finally look straight and go in 3 or 4 turns by hand, put the wrench to them and then the grease gun.

As far as the fitting not taking grease, you could have old, hardened grease in your pin bore or the pin could be tight against the hole for the grease...try moving your boom(?) to a different position. Bob
    Yes, the connection between the boom and the ram is rounded off on the side where the fitting is. I guess I'll keep trying to get them to seat properly. If I ever do I'll try moving repositioning the boom. Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    I have in the past had to resort to rigging up a fitting that would adapt to a "port-a-power" hydraulic pump. This is a hydraulic hand pump that puts out 10,000psi oil pressure. Enerpac is a big name brand as well. This was always rigged up on equipment that had either 1/8" or 1/4" NPT threaded holes for the grease fittings. If we could not get it to take grease in any position and the grease fittings were good, then we would force oil into the joint until something moved. Once the joint would take oil with reasonable ease, we would then re-install the grease fittings and proceed as normal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mtrmn For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (05-18-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 PM
    Thanks
    We use these Lincoln fitting cleaners. You fill it with WD40 and smack it with a hammer. It will clean out the holes and passages for grease to flow again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LIN5805.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	615490
    mtrmn likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements