ARGENTINA WOES: Regen impossible, clean fuel nowhere!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: ARGENTINA WOES: Regen impossible, clean fuel nowhere!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 10:38 AM
    Thanks

ARGENTINA WOES: Regen impossible, clean fuel nowhere!

Help!

John Deere Tier 4 Engine, model 3029HFG30-EWX in a "Marathon" generator model MMG55 supplied by Generac

We're running a scientific campaign in Argentina for another six weeks, and our generator is plugging up its exhaust and now will only work in "limp mode".

Soot content is at 178% due to lack of clean #2 diesel fuel available. We've been loosing percentage each time we regen, moving us backward not forward.

Once we get this thing cleaned out, the plan is to burn Jet-A with a diesel fuel conditioner (so we don't burn up the injector pump), should be a much cleaner fuel to burn. We have documentation from the tech department of RDO saying we can do this.

Ok, here's what we need help with. We can physically clean the soot filter, but the computer thinks it's still plugged. Is there a way to defeat the emissions on this? All we need to do is clean out the soot filter, then tell the computer it's clean. Can we just jumper the diff press sensor, or something like that? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks

Right to repair

Quote Originally Posted by luketmarx View Post
    Help!

John Deere Tier 4 Engine, model 3029HFG30-EWX in a "Marathon" generator model MMG55 supplied by Generac

We're running a scientific campaign in Argentina for another six weeks, and our generator is plugging up its exhaust and now will only work in "limp mode".

Soot content is at 178% due to lack of clean #2 diesel fuel available. We've been loosing percentage each time we regen, moving us backward not forward.

Once we get this thing cleaned out, the plan is to burn Jet-A with a diesel fuel conditioner (so we don't burn up the injector pump), should be a much cleaner fuel to burn. We have documentation from the tech department of RDO saying we can do this.

Ok, here's what we need help with. We can physically clean the soot filter, but the computer thinks it's still plugged. Is there a way to defeat the emissions on this? All we need to do is clean out the soot filter, then tell the computer it's clean. Can we just jumper the diff press sensor, or something like that? Thanks!
    I'm afraid you might need a tech and a computer to reset the computer. I hope someone has a solution but JD and other manufacturers have been very, very unwilling to admit to anything regarding emissions.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Thanks
    Are you sure it is not a problem with your specific unit. It just seems that there would be problems with other equipment and pickup manufacturers if the fuel was this bad?
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with Treefarmer, probably need a tech and computer to reset and perform the regen. Sometimes the dpf will get so plugged up and you can't regen it and have to replace it, have run into that on diesel trucks at work.
    Last edited by DaveX730; 11-07-2018 at 05:52 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks
    Some countries around the world are known to not have good quality fuel and you may have found one of them. I would suggest you drain out that fuel and get some good fuel from a reliable source. It might let you run enough to get a regen. You might also try a "parked" regen as explained in the manual. I have never had to do that. Usually the regens happen more often if the usage is at low RPM's. A generator should be running at high RPM's, and would be less likely to need regens.

Dave
    Herminator likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. This is a very new generator, and has been a gigantic headache. Booo with these exhaust cleaning systems. The first issue we had was we did not do a good break-in cycle with it, so we had problems here with it sooting up. We think we fixed that by having the john deere guy come out and reset the computer while we did the proper break-in cycle using heaters and air conditioners to put a load on it. Break-in cycle complete, it was good to go for our 8 week science campaign in Argentina.

Our guys down there think there was something lost in the translation and they got grade 3 diesel, or the stuff ships use. We figure that was a big part of our problems but the tech guys say that the 50-60 hrs that the generator has run is not long enough to plug up our filter system, but yet it is again at 178%. Cleaner fuel can be had, and they think they're good on that but still need to have a john deere tech out there to re-set the computer.

Everything is difficult to obtain down there, and difficult to communicate to locals what is needed.

Still would love to hear a why to trick this computer into thinking the filter is clean, and maybe just run with it removed...

John Deere tech should be out tomorrow, hopefully they can get the computer re-set and the generator running again.

We would just rent a local generator, but most are only 50 hz down there, we need 60 hz. There is word of one available in a town several hours away, so we're working on that as a backup plan.
    Oscar Leroy and Herminator like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 AM
    Thanks
    I would ask the tech about the possibility of a sensor failure as well.
    I take it the generator should run at a specific rpm to control the frequency (60 htz)?
    Maybe possible to add a mechanical load to the engine to keep the exhaust heat up during periods of low kva use?
    Also ask about the possibility of blending with kerosene if that is available.
    Just how big is this generator?
    Herminator likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe you could cut the DPF out of the system, dismount it and then soak it in diesel for a few hours and try to scrape the crud out? Then just reinstall with some band clamps and hook up the other connections.
    Herminator likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    When they clean dpf's, they are baked in a oven type unit to clean them.
    Big likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    John Deere guy down in Argentina has been working on it yesterday and today. Last I heard, yesterday he got the percentage plugged down to 150%, from 179%. I asked my guys to ask about replacing some of those sensors as precautionary in case there are any failures happening there. Will see how it goes today..
    Herminator and Big like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast