Skid Steer oil tank hole

Thread: Skid Steer oil tank hole

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2011 @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks

Skid Steer oil tank hole

I have a 2008 332CT that a mesquite limb poked a small hole abt a 1/4 inch size in the plastic oil tank. its right next to the drain plug. Apparently this has happened to a few others that were in line to get the tank replaced. So beware the small hole in the skid plate to drain the oil also allows sticks to puncture the tank. I guess with this extra dry year the mesquite branches are like rebar tough, but Id suggest that people place a small plate over that hole in the skid plate to protect the tank. But the deere service center wants over $3600 to replace the tank- mostly labor in removing the engine to get to it- nice design john deere. My question would anyone know of any bonding material that could seal the hole, we tried a 3m adhesive thats used to bind panels on vehicles but still leaks to much. Id settle for a small quart a week or less leak for now. just cant afford to be down for 3 weeks..

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-30-2013 @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    You could try a plastic welder. Do a google search on plastic welder and you will gets lots of hits. Problem is you will need to know what type of plastic the tank is made out of in order to use the correct filler.

Quote Originally Posted by zultar View Post
    I have a 2008 332CT that a mesquite limb poked a small hole abt a 1/4 inch size in the plastic oil tank. its right next to the drain plug. Apparently this has happened to a few others that were in line to get the tank replaced. So beware the small hole in the skid plate to drain the oil also allows sticks to puncture the tank. I guess with this extra dry year the mesquite branches are like rebar tough, but Id suggest that people place a small plate over that hole in the skid plate to protect the tank. But the deere service center wants over $3600 to replace the tank- mostly labor in removing the engine to get to it- nice design john deere. My question would anyone know of any bonding material that could seal the hole, we tried a 3m adhesive thats used to bind panels on vehicles but still leaks to much. Id settle for a small quart a week or less leak for now. just cant afford to be down for 3 weeks..

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-04-2017 @ 04:58 AM
    Thanks
    How thick is the Tank? If it's thick enough enough you could try buying a plastic or nylon bolt and drilling the proper size hole in the tank to tap the tank for the plastic bolt.

I'm sure NAPA sells oversize oil pan plugs that may have a sealing gasket behind the plug's head.

If the tank isn't thick enough to tap call permatex, STP or a glue company and see if they make a sealant/glue that will stick to your tank...

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/revie...GlueReview.htm
    Last edited by tackit; 09-13-2011 at 09:17 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-09-2011 @ 04:00 PM
    Thanks

Let me know if you can repair it.....They do offer some guard plugs you can put on the D series units to procect the tank....I intall them on all the units I sell now. I voiced my opinion about the holes very loudly at the factory when I was there. The biggest expense for the repair is the labor.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-04-2017 @ 04:58 AM
    Thanks

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements