Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: TLB Question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

TLB Question

My handyman business is starting to take off! If my partner and I can keep busy durring the winter, we will have the money to expand our tool inventory this spring and a TLB would help us with landscaping and other projects. We aren't looking to get into the excavation business, just something to make life easier; moving pallets, digging trenches, moving dirt, light demolition, etc. I was wondering if yous guys had any advice or recomendations for me as far as models to look at or things to look for in general. We may go new or used depending on what interest rates are next year.

The biggest requirement is that the whole machine can't weigh more than 5,000 pounds.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,151 Times in 2,519 Posts
    I'd look for a 110TLB. It's basically a yellow 4 series tractor with a loader and hoe painted yellow.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Evergreen (10-11-2015)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Those 110's are a lot nicer than the old 440 we looked at on Friday!

Were the 110 TLB 's ever offered with a gear transmission? I've used hydrostatic tractors before but I'm just not sure im convinced that they are good for anything besides lawn mowing. How many models back do I have to go before I get to a small TLB with a shuttle shift?
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,151 Times in 2,519 Posts
    Hydrostatic transmissions can be found in large bulldozers and other large pieces of equipment. Not only are they easy to operate, they are fairly easy to maintain and are darn reliable. The only issues reported with the eHydro found on the 110 TLB has been when something has physically damaged the transmission wiring. Failures just aren't that common.
    DRobinson and Evergreen like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,414 Posts
    The 110's where hydro only, they had a great reliability record but many did suffer from broken bell housings where the loader mounts, most often because the bolts got loose and/or never properly torqued. It was/is a commercial/contractor grade machine marketed to smaller contractors and it could be towed with a pickup truck. The Kubota equivalent would be the L39 or the L45. And Yanmar has the EX450TLB.

As Jason wrote, hydrostatic trannies are in everything nowadays and have been for-40 years in dozers, track hoes, heavy dumps, and other large equipment.
    DRobinson and Evergreen like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-06-2017 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    You won't be under 5000 with a 110 more like 7500.
    I hate to utter these words but here goes, look at the Kubota B26. Should be just about the weight you're after.

Matt
    Kennyd likes this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gwhunter For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (10-12-2015)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yea, weight is an important factor. If the machine was really worth it I could push my luck and go for something that weighs 6000 pounds, but 7500 is too much. I'd be willing to consider a Kubota, but only if there are no other JD options. Nothing against Kubota but if I'm going to get something orange, I'd rather have an Allis-Chalmers. A lot of my customers are retired GM workers and have a "made in America or it's a pile junk and you are too" complex. I know better... It's just an image thing.

It wouldn't be construction yellow, but what about something from the 3 series? How tough are they?

Anything in yellow that might be older and lighter?

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-06-2017 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    Yea, weight is an important factor. If the machine was really worth it I could push my luck and go for something that weighs 6000 pounds, but 7500 is too much. I'd be willing to consider a Kubota, but only if there are no other JD options. Nothing against Kubota but if I'm going to get something orange, I'd rather have an Allis-Chalmers. A lot of my customers are retired GM workers and have a "made in America or it's a pile junk and you are too" complex. I know better... It's just an image thing.

It wouldn't be construction yellow, but what about something from the 3 series? How tough are they?

Anything in yellow that might be older and lighter?
    I previously owned a 3320 with 448 hoe and it was a good machine. I wouldn't consider it anywhere near HD for commercial use though.
    The B26 I suggested is a commercial grade tlb. I think the 3 series( 4 series too) have the weak link being the removable loader.
    I didn't realize just how stough the loader on my 110 TLB is compared to the detachable loader on both the 3 and 4 series.

I did do a little "side work" with the 3320 but it involved mostly brush hogging. My gut feeling is the 3 series would hold up well to light grading(BB or LP) or hogging raking work but would likely suffer from commercial dirt work.

Matt
    Evergreen likes this.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I figured the detachable loader and hoe would be weak spots. I admit it would be nice to have a newer and more powerful machine to take some of the workload away from my 65 year old model M in terms of brush hogging and snow plowing, but I think I'd rather have a dedicated TLB instead of a multi-purpose machine.

I'll look into the Kubota. If I can get a new machine with a warantee then I might as well. Just the same, I'm going to keep looking for something a bit older and inexpensive. Low costs make for higher profits.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,414 Posts
    JD has gotten out of the small contractor class machine when they ended the 110TLB run. I suspect the downturn in the economy had something to do with it although it was a dated platform, but they didn't replace it. Kubota has the market share here...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast