New here and just bought a 2005 JD 317 skidsteer, which lightbulb does it use?

Thread: New here and just bought a 2005 JD 317 skidsteer, which lightbulb does it use?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-15-2012 @ 08:03 AM
    Thanks

New here and just bought a 2005 JD 317 skidsteer, which lightbulb does it use?

I just stumbled across this site while doing some research on the 2005 317 skidsteer I just bought and I was hoping you guys could tell me which lightbulb is used in the standard headlight on the machine. One of my lights popped out of the housing when a friend was using it and it was not damaged at all but the light no longer works and since the machine I plan to go and work on it tonight but would like to take a replacement bulb with me in case it is just the bulb. So, can I just buy the bulb at an autoparts store or is it a dealer purchase?

Also, for whatever reason, the light housing does not seem to want to stay in the metal housing, but nothing on the plastic is broken and the metal retaining/spring clip is still there. It will go in, but one little bounce with the machine and it pops out. Any suggestions on getting it to stay in?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-06-2017 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkski View Post
    I just stumbled across this site while doing some research on the 2005 317 skidsteer I just bought and I was hoping you guys could tell me which lightbulb is used in the standard headlight on the machine. One of my lights popped out of the housing when a friend was using it and it was not damaged at all but the light no longer works and since the machine I plan to go and work on it tonight but would like to take a replacement bulb with me in case it is just the bulb. So, can I just buy the bulb at an autoparts store or is it a dealer purchase?

Also, for whatever reason, the light housing does not seem to want to stay in the metal housing, but nothing on the plastic is broken and the metal retaining/spring clip is still there. It will go in, but one little bounce with the machine and it pops out. Any suggestions on getting it to stay in?

Thanks in advance.

I also have a 317 skid steer, mine is a 2004 unit. As far as the lights go you cannot get them down at the auto parts store, I have tried. Deere is the only one who sells the light and from my experience they sell it with the whole housing, for me that was fine and gave me an extra light housing just in case I was to break one which I have broke one before (the min. spacing between the light and the boom is 3/8"). Just to warn ya, Deere wants approximately $30 for the light and housing. The light housing can be tricky, the silver clip has to be on the left side (you facing the light). Lightly push the light left and push the right side into place so the light is flush with the steel housing of the cab. Then lightly pull the light right so the groves on the light housing lock into place with the metal of the cab. I have had the same problem with the light falling out on a CT322, for me it was because i was putting the light on upside down and didn't know it. Hope this helps!
    2004 John Deere 317
    66" bucket, forks, imatch adapter plate, Bobcat 72" Landplane, 60" 4 in 1 tooth bucket
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430
    4 buckets, brush rake, ripper, concrete breaker

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, I got it in and it seems tight. I'll be using it this weekend a lot so it will get put to the test, but once I did what you said, I could not pull it out and the light works so all is good!

Anything I should be looking out for in terms of maintenance/mechanical issues on this machine that you have seen. I have 2600 hours and it is a nice clean, strong unit but it is always good to hear what others have experienced.

Thanks again for the help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, I got it in and it seems tight. I'll be using it this weekend a lot so it will get put to the test, but once I did what you said, I could not pull it out and the light works so all is good!

Anything I should be looking out for in terms of maintenance/mechanical issues on this machine that you have seen. I have 2600 hours and it is a nice clean, strong unit but it is always good to hear what others have experienced.

Thanks again for the help.
    As far as things to look out for, watch your battery, if your battery dies you must raise the booms to get it out. I tried using a booster and blew the fuse to my ignition switch and didn't know it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	9413
    The fuse box is directly to the right of you when you are sitting in the seat and fuses are relatively cheap, a couple $ for several. I also would grease it around every 10 hours of use as well as lubricate your quick attach levers and pins to ensure you get the most life out of the pins. Mine has 1100 hours and also is in pretty good shape, I did learn a lot of the history behind what it was used for yesterday when I cleaned 6" of dirt out from under the pedals, I didn't realize it until i had completely cleaned the right side pedal that there are two plates bellow the pedals that unbolt and allow you to drop most of the dirt out underneath, the rest can be done with some running water and or a flat head screw driver and a shop vac. If your 317 is hand/foot controls I would remove the protective cover off the front of the machine and the one between your legs and grease the pedal pins, I noticed those when I cleaned mine yesterday. Otherwise it has been a great machine, it has worked up to my expectations and honestly is much more versatile than my old 16 hp Yanmar tractor i had.
    2004 John Deere 317
    66" bucket, forks, imatch adapter plate, Bobcat 72" Landplane, 60" 4 in 1 tooth bucket
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. When I first purchased it, I had a guy who works on them regularly, go thru it all and service it top to bottom, so I learned a lot about the grease fittings, etc. and was surprised at how many there are....would never have guessed.

I am having an issue now where my auxillary hydro handle, when unlocked, does not want to move. The right-hand lever has a small lock button that you turn to unlock when you want to use the aux hydro's and even when I have it turned into the unlock position, I can not move the handle inward to activate the aux hydro's. Now, it could be something simple like a safety feature that will not allow you to do this until something is actually hooked-up to the aux hydro ports but I thougth I'd check to see what anyone might be able to tell me?

Thanks in advance.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. When I first purchased it, I had a guy who works on them regularly, go thru it all and service it top to bottom, so I learned a lot about the grease fittings, etc. and was surprised at how many there are....would never have guessed.

I am having an issue now where my auxillary hydro handle, when unlocked, does not want to move. The right-hand lever has a small lock button that you turn to unlock when you want to use the aux hydro's and even when I have it turned into the unlock position, I can not move the handle inward to activate the aux hydro's. Now, it could be something simple like a safety feature that will not allow you to do this until something is actually hooked-up to the aux hydro ports but I thougth I'd check to see what anyone might be able to tell me?

Thanks in advance.
    Hmm, when I ran the CT322's aux. hydraulics via the right handle once you unlocked it it would move in towards the operator or out away from the operator. It may be either tight to where you really have to push on it to operate the hydraulics, the cable may be locked up from water getting in it causing it to rust and therefore not move, or the linkage bellow is tight and needs lubrication. Also, Deere may have a lock out somewhere on the handle however if you try moving the handle in and out with the machine off it should move pretty easily (releases the hydraulic pressure for hooking up attachments). If I remember right the linkage and cable should be found under the seat so you will have to lift the cab to take a look at it. It also could be under the metal casing that sets between the foot pedals but when i had that off mine when I cleaned the dirt under my pedals I didn't see anything for the auxiliary hydraulics. My guess as of now is that the cable is rusted in it's sleeve and wont allow you to use the hydraulics (like when a bike cable rusts and it all of the sudden doesn't shift anymore. I wouldn't wrench too hard on the handle or you could break the cable. Hope this helps!
    2004 John Deere 317
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply regarding the hydro lever, I will check it out but I would bet you are right in that the cable is likely rusted in the sleeve so I will shoot some RustBust down there and see what happens. I will also lift the cab and check it all out to see what is going on. I do know that the protective rubber boots which go around the lower protion of the handles and connect to the floor are cracked open in several spots which would allow water and dirt to get under the cab. So, shy of buying new boots from a JD dealer, does anyone have any suggestions on what to replace them with to seal it up?

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply regarding the hydro lever, I will check it out but I would bet you are right in that the cable is likely rusted in the sleeve so I will shoot some RustBust down there and see what happens. I will also lift the cab and check it all out to see what is going on. I do know that the protective rubber boots which go around the lower protion of the handles and connect to the floor are cracked open in several spots which would allow water and dirt to get under the cab. So, shy of buying new boots from a JD dealer, does anyone have any suggestions on what to replace them with to seal it up?
    Hmm, I havent seen an aftermarket option to replace the rubber boots and because of the odd shape/angles it would be pretty challenging to seal them up with much success. Honestly buying the new rubber boots may be your best bet. So far I am very happy with my 317, just finished up a 13 hour job yesterday and gave the 317 a good bath a little while ago. Still need to grease it but I am just glad it is paying for itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0780.JPG 
Size:	281.3 KB 
ID:	9908 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0786.JPG 
Size:	338.5 KB 
ID:	9909
    2004 John Deere 317
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements