JD 401 hydraulic fluid check and fill points?

Thread: JD 401 hydraulic fluid check and fill points?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-03-2016 @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks

JD 401 hydraulic fluid check and fill points?

Recently picked up a 71-73 401, Operator Manual is on order from JD dealer. Where is the hydraulic fluid and check points, please? Tractor also will not stay running after initial 2 mile drive up the mountain. Drained fuel tank, little crusty in the bottom, blew out line to fuel pump, replaced filter, refueled, added diesel additive and bled through fuel filter. No obvious fuel leaks, ran 1 time for 7-8 minutes and then died (exhaust much cleaner now), starts for 10-30 seconds before and after the 1 long run. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Thanks
    Hyd oil dipstick will be by right heel if sitting in seat. Check with engine idling with dipstick nut resting on threads. I'll bet the check valve(parts key 9) on inj pump that fuel return line attaches to is plugged. If my guess is correct drive ring in inj pump is deteriorated plugging check valve. Simple test is loosen both screws(parts key 25) on IP timing window,pry rubber gasket loose then start engine and if engine continues to run with fuel dribbling out the check valve is plugged. One can remove fitting and clean out debris and it may run a longer period of time but the drive ring will need to be replaced in the not to distant future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T29291_________UN01JAN94.gif
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 02-20-2016 at 07:10 AM.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information, will check on the next trip up. How about the final drive/ differential lubrication?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'll repeat what I stated earlier. Hyd oil dipstick will be by right heel if sitting in seat. Check with engine idling with dipstick nut resting on threads.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jim the return line was clogged, didn't remove the plate and window though. She starts up fine every time but the longest run I've gotten is about 4 minutes even with the line disconnected and fuel dribbling out the valve. Sometimes there isn't any throttle response and other times it seems to be running strong til it dies. I ran a hot jumper wire to the pump solenoid to eliminate that, no difference. I'm thinking its time for a pump rebuild or least likely a new fuel pump. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Either attempt running engine with return line fitting(valve) removed from IP or timing window & gasket loose from pump body. Yes more than likely pump drive ring is deteriorated & needs R&R.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements