Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JD 210c Dipper Cylinder.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-22-2018 @ 09:08 AM
    Thanks

JD 210c Dipper Cylinder.

Hello everyone,

I am very new to using tractors, backhoes and now posting threads in forums. As a matter of fact this is my first one.

I have a JD 210c loader/backhoe and I broke the rod coming out of the cylinder attached to the dipper. Not sure if it is my inexperience or not but everyone I talk to says they have never seen that before.

Anyway, I found the following thread (http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...oe-loader.html) to be extremely helpfull. I have the cylinder out of the machine and I was trying to take the nut off the end of the cylinder to remove the broken rod but it won't come out. I have the cylinder in a chain vise (not too tight) and the nut spins easily but will not thread out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-06 14.16.45.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	668.1 KB 
ID:	11884

I was wondering if it there is a retainer ring holding it in and needs to be popped/pryed out? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I expect to be posting a lot more threads as problems arise.

Darren

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,084 Posts

First off, welcome! You're off to a great start, the picture really helps get the issue across.

Second, are you absolutely positive that the nut is turning and the cylinder is not? I know that sounds like a dumb question, I don't mean to sound condescending. The reason I ask is that if the nut is turning, it would have to be threading itself out at least to the end of the threads. Sometimes the nut will get to the end of the threads and stop moving. Seals inside the gland nut should have a pretty solid hold on the shaft, I've had to tap them the final little bit out with a rubber mallet before. In your photo, it looks like the gland nut is still hard up against the cylinder body. The only way I could envision the nut turning and not moving at all would be if the threads were completely stripped. If that were the case, I expect hydraulic pressure while using the machine would've blown the nut out of the cylinder body a long time ago!

If the nut is turning and staying right up against the cylinder, it would be very strange. At that point, I would think the entire cylinder might need replacing. Hopefully Kenny will see this and might be able to shed some more light on the subject. He really knows hydraulic stuff.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks 56FordGuy.

Now I have another problem though and I kind of have to laugh at myself.

I figured out that the nut actually doesn't thread into the cylinder but it threads onto the cylinder rod guide which is on the inside of the ring shown in the picture.

The next step is to push the rod guide into the cylinder then pull out a ring which holds the rod guide in place. What I didn't realize was that I pushed the rod guide in too far and blocked the hydraulic fluid return port at the top of the cylinder.

Name:	2012-10-06 19.19.48.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	11885

Now I cannot pull the rod out because the air simply compresses in the cylinder and the rod is broken so there is no end and no way of grasping the rod enough to pull it out. I have to somehow figure how to overcome the pressure and force the rod guide out.
    Last edited by DBond; 10-06-2012 at 06:25 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,153 Times in 2,521 Posts

Thumbs up Welcome to GTT!

You could use a little compressed air in the port to help it along. Just be extremely cautious about how much air you use. You could end up shooting things across the shop!

- Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBond View Post
    Thanks 56FordGuy.

Now I have another problem though and I kind of have to laugh at myself.

I figured out that the nut actually doesn't thread into the cylinder but it threads onto the cylinder rod guide which is on the inside of the ring shown in the picture.

The next step is to push the rod guide into the cylinder then pull out a ring which holds the rod guide in place. What I didn't realize was that I pushed the rod guide in too far and blocked the hydraulic fluid return port at the top of the cylinder.
    Hmm. That makes sense, now that you've broken it down. Maybe you could do as Diesel suggested and use some compressed air in the bottom port to push the rod guide out?
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I did try that but I had a poor seal on the port plus I think I maxed out on pressure at about 100psi which may or may not be a good thing.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow with some nitrogen and a better fitting. Hopefully I don't get too carried away with the pressure but I'll take it out of the garage and point it downrange. Maybe I'll get lucky and I won't blow the rod and everything else down the driveway and send me on an Easter hunt looking for all the parts that could blow out. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks, guys.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Darren, I am sorry for the late reply, I left the house for a family function after my last message to you and did not get home till late last night.

If the rod is broken, why cant you pull it out of the seal pack and make a hook or something to get behind it and pull it out?

Have you pulled the rod out yet? If so is it really broken or did the nut fall off/strip out?

I looked in JDP and can't find a cylinder that matched the pictures of yours, it is the one on the boom that moves the second arm up and down correct?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I tried the compressed air option but it didn't work because I couldn't get a really good seal. However I did find another way though and I'm a little surprised that it worked.

Name:	2012-10-08 11.24.45.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	566.2 KB 
ID:	11942

I put the rod end into a chain vise and supported the cylinder on a ladder. Keeping the cylinder within 1" to the vise was key for the best leverage.

Name:	2012-10-08 11.24.07.jpg 
Size:	592.0 KB 
ID:	11943

I just pried the cylinder away from the chain vise toward the ladder and 'bingo', it just slid out. Unfortunatley (again with my luck) it slid a little further then I intended and I didn't have the orange ring in the groove for the retainer ring and something must be binding in it because now it's stuck again. I'll have to work on that now. A good thing as well for future reference was the chain vise did no damage to the rod either. So I could probable do this again and still reuse the rod without damaging the seals.

Kennyd - No problem on the late reply and I appreciate the help. I should have explained where the rod is broken but as you can see by the these pictures I just uploaded the rod snapped in half between the rod end and the cylinder. I was on the JD Parts website (which I am a huge fan of now - Thank you for posting how to get to it) and they call this the 'Crowd Cylinder'.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Glad you are making progress Darren! I will attach a picture of the cylinder below.

Getting that orange ring perfectly in the groove can be a challenge-take your time...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 210c Crowd.gif  
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, I have victory. It was like trying to win the Kentucky Derby riding a stubborn mule trying to get the piston out without that orange ring. I just couldn't get it out and I was trying everything. Then I realized that whoever assembled the cylinder had put the orange ring around the rod guide behind the gland nut. Getting it into the groove was extremely tricky. I wrecked part of it by trying to pull the rod guide out when the orange ring was not installed correctly which didn't make it any easier.

Name:	2012-10-13 14.23.20.jpg 
Size:	708.6 KB 
ID:	12117

I was having a heck of a time trying to get a new rod at a decent price. I have no idea what possessed John Deere to use a metric (45mm) rod on this machine. Most hydraulic shops wanted in the $800 to $1000 range because they all had to use 1.75" rod and rechrome it to 45mm, weld the eyelet on the end then drill and thread a hole at the bottom for the bolt holding the piston on. I finally found a place close by that has access to 45mm rod which saves me a bundle because they don't have to modify the thickness. I got them down to $475 and they will order in all the seals that I need too. I'm going to keep this place in the rolladex.

Now I just need to wait till next Tuesday and let the games begin to reinstall everything and get back to digging holes and popping out stumps. Hopefully all goes well and I can get it all together smoothly.

Does anybody know how I can get a copy of the owners/user manual for this machine? A tech manual would be awesome if anybody has that too???

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast