Like Tree1Likes

Thread: coolant in oil ?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 06:52 PM
    Thanks

coolant in oil ?

Hey I need a little help!

I changed the oil in my early 1970's 401C backhoe.has the 4 cylinder diesel and noticed that I had quite a bit of oil.

now today I noticed the radiator was down some, put about a half gallon in and checked the oil. and low and behold the oil lever is way over on the dip stick.

My question is do these engines have a problem with this?

What would be the first thing to look at to diagnose the problem? I am thinking head gasket or head.

my next question is are parts available?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Well, if there is ethylene glycol in the coolant I would suggest you not run the engine until you have the oil analyzed for coolant. If you continue to run it with coolant contamination you will most likely damage the bearings and or cam/lifters. Coolant in the oil is nothing to play around with.

The reason I say get it analyzed is that it could also be Diesel getting in the sump from a bad lift or secondary pump/injector or hydraulic fluid from the pump if it's integral to the engine block or front housing. Either of these is still an issue that you shouldn't be running the engine however they are most of the times not as bad of a scenario like coolant is.

A lot of old timers will tell you to pressurize the cooling system and listen for dripping in the sump, sometimes that works but most of the times it's very difficult to hear. Most autoparts or Diesel shops should have an oil analysis kit you can buy and mail off to get the results in a few days.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    If you have run the engine since noticing the coolant loss, then the oil should be a milky color. If you have NOT run the engine, just loosen the oil drain plug a bit (DON'T remove it) and see what comes out first. The water should settle to the bottom and you should get water out past the threads of the plug before you see any oil come out.

As to the source, my first guess would be head gasket or cracked head. SOME engines have oil coolers that can leak but usually the oil pressure will force oil into the coolant system. I have also seen an engine with wet cylinder liners leak coolant by the sealing O-rings when the engine cools down.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    07-20-2018 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Most autoparts or Diesel shops should have an oil analysis kit you can buy and mail off to get the results in a few days.
    I've used Blackstone Labs for oil analysis a few times. Not only do they provide the oil breakdown numbers they also send you a hand written overview of their findings. On the one engine that was showing metal particles in the oil they even called me to discuss.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Up Date

Well it is coolant!

Took the head off and sent it to my local machine shop. Head passed the Mag Flux and pressure test.
    Machine shop states that the valve guides are a little off. but the valves are good along with the springs, replaced the valve seals.

He is telling me that more than likely one of my liners is cracked or "Caveated" I guess that is rusted.

Tore the oil pan off tonight and man I was impressed. No one has ever been in there.
    Things all clean no sludge. Took the pistons and rods out.

Bearings look good and are standard. Looked at the sleeves. No ridges or scratches.

So I guess I will pull the sleeves and look at the O. Rings.

Any one have any other Ideas of what else I might look at?

And where can I find torque specs? And torque patterns?

Any suggestions on how to flush the antifreeze out of the motor?

Thanks Steve!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well the O rings on the cylinder liners are toast. Pulled them today. Now I start the process of ordering parts.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Way back in the last century when I overhauled my old JD300 industrial tractor, I replaced the liners. I packed the new liners (in plastic bags) in an ice chest, iced them down and then dumped ice cream rock salt on the ice to make it extremely cold. They stayed that way about 4 hours and when I got ready to install them they just dropped in place without having to force the installation at all. That's about the only tip I got for this situation. Good luck!
    Drifterbike likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 977 Posts
    Not sure IF you pulled the sleeves / liners out. I suspect that you did. Check the O. D. of the sleeves for any indication of pitting and deterioration. Diesel engines can suffer from "cavitation erosion" which can ultimately cause pitting, perforation of the liners and coolant leaking into the crankcase. The liners and seals should be replaced. Cylinder "kits" are usually available that include matched pistons, rings, sleeves and seals.

Cavitation erosion http://www.howardenterprises.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Cavitation%20Erosion.pdf
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Some time ago I wrote a detailed posting on cavatation, it's causes and what DCA/SCA does for wet sleeve engines but not normally needed on cast-in blocks in response to a question if to use DCA on a Yanmar Diesel. I can't find it however one of the better searchers here can find it for you.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 671 Posts
    Tom, Here is one, post #4

Tom's Post

Is this the one Tom?
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast