• 1 Post By Johndeere3720
  • 4 Post By Johndeere3720

Thread: 317 skid steer only runs with seat belt clicked in

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-06-2017 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks

317 skid steer only runs with seat belt clicked in

After replacing the linkage that connects the control valve to the handles (H pattern / hand controlled machine) my machine will only start and run with the seatbelt clicked in. Once unclicked the machine shuts off, like the park brake button has no function. With the seatbelt unclicked it will start and immediately die. No codes are present, the seat switch on the machine works properly as does the seat belt which is also new. With the seatbelt on the machine works exactly as it should, nothing odd or unusual about how it performs. Personally I am leaning towards it being something off center in the main control valve and allowing flow to pass which would likely give me this scenario but if that is the case I need to determine the exact cause and find a solution. Any advice would be much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plgm3_UikY0
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2004 John Deere 317
    66" bucket, forks, imatch adapter plate, Bobcat 72" Landplane, 60" 4 in 1 tooth bucket
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430
    4 buckets, brush rake, ripper, concrete breaker

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-06-2017 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Im slacking here but I figured out my problem. After an evening of diagnosing the problem with a friend that works for Deere we determined that the computer (gauge cluster) was at fault for the issue. So $480 later I picked one up and installed it in my 317. And what do you know, the problem still remains. The machine will only run with the seat belt on. Although I started to think and tried something different. Before removing my seat belt I hit the auxiliary override switch to bypass the auxiliary valve. Once bypassed the machine would run without the seat belt. So I flipped up the cab and sure enough there is a position switch that tells the computer when the auxiliary valve spool is off center which in turn kills the engine as a safety device. To test the theory I made a small jumper plug and plugged it in place of the auxiliary neutral switch. Low and behold my skid steer now will run without the seatbelt on! To verify I made another small harness and plugged it into the sending unit on the valve spool. With a multimeter on OHMS it read Out of Range regardless of the pedal position for my auxiliary spool valve. Who knew a $37 switch could cause so much grief. I will own the mistake of buying a computer for no reason but since I tend to work on a lot of construction equipment I feel the extra computer may come in handy in the future to diagnose another 300 series machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XHBC3533.jpg   IMG_6804.jpg   IMG_6806.jpg  
    2004 John Deere 317
    66" bucket, forks, imatch adapter plate, Bobcat 72" Landplane, 60" 4 in 1 tooth bucket
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430
    4 buckets, brush rake, ripper, concrete breaker

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Johndeere3720 For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (09-07-2016)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements