317 skidsteer problem

Thread: 317 skidsteer problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-23-2017 @ 11:03 PM
    Thanks

317 skidsteer problem

My problem is that sometimes when I start the machine, the seat light will not go out unless I unhook the seat belt and reconnect it. And of course, the hydraulics are locked when the light is on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Man I hate that I'm the only one replying here. I know nothing about a 317 in particular since my skid steer is a Bobcat, but it sounds like you may have a bad seat belt switch which is probably in the buckle assembly. Is there also a drop bar you pull down across your lap? There is a computer somewhere that looks for several input signals before it will allow you to operate the machine. It almost sounds like the computer is looking for all these signals IN A CERTAIN ORDER OR SEQUENCE. I know that safety is paramount but some of this stuff kinda gets out of hand sometimes IMO.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-23-2017 @ 11:03 PM
    Thanks

317 hydraulics

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpig538 View Post
    My problem is that sometimes when I start the machine, the seat light will not go out unless I unhook the seat belt and reconnect it. And of course, the hydraulics are locked when the light is on.
    Now, sometimes, the loader arms will not lift, even though all the other hydraulics work fine. Then once today, the loader arms would go up, but wouldn't come back down. I unhooked the connection on the seat safety switch, then hooked it back up, then it would work fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpig538 View Post
    Now, sometimes, the loader arms will not lift, even though all the other hydraulics work fine. Then once today, the loader arms would go up, but wouldn't come back down. I unhooked the connection on the seat safety switch, then hooked it back up, then it would work fine.
    I know I should not recommend bypassing a safety feature, but can you bypass that switch with a jumper wire or something to see if the problem continues? If it has 2 wires this should be simple to try. It may also be a bad connection in the wiring somewhere between the computer and the seat switch. Are there any plugs in the harness that may have oil on/in them? Does the computer itself have any indicator lights (my Bobcat does) or maybe give flash codes that may lead you toward the problem?

ARE THERE ANY GROUND WIRES THAT MAY BE LOOSE/POORLY CONNECTED IN THE SYSTEM? A ground wire attached to painted metal is a major source of troubles. A poor ground will cause all kinds of freakish behavior from electronics. It sounds as if your symptoms are a bit different everytime, leading me in this direction of suspect grounds.

I've also tapped on computers themselves with a screwdriver handle or something and (correctly) diagnosed bad computers that failed when sufficiently jarred or vibrated.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mtrmn For This Useful Post:

dirtpig538 (01-23-2017)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements