GreenTractorTalk.com - John Deere Forum & Information Site - Three years with a 1025R: a "review" with some experience behind it
  • Recent Activity

Gizmo2

Good Morning

Thread Starter: Gizmo2

Good morning all... Just about done with my first cup of coffee what a busy day yesterday was. Amongst everything else going on getting ready for my...

Last Post By: DRobinson Today, 02:39 PM Go to last post
    Kennyd

What I Saw Today...

Thread Starter: Kennyd

This thread is for REAL pictures of things you've seen through your daily travels. Please no stupid outrageously obscure pictures you found on the...

Last Post By: Big Today, 07:42 AM Go to last post
    starkeyb

What did you do with your SCUT Deere today?

Thread Starter: starkeyb

I find it amazing how these machines make you say, yay I have work to do. Ive been meaning to collect some firewood for a few months now. Got 'er...

Last Post By: kennell Today, 02:32 PM Go to last post
    farmgirl19

Critter pics!

Thread Starter: farmgirl19

Well, I thought someone else was going to start this thread, but either he didn't, :nunu: or I didn't find it. :crazy: Here is my last bovine. I...

Last Post By: rydplrs Yesterday, 08:50 PM Go to last post
    Artillian

What did you conquer with your MCUT

Thread Starter: Artillian

So, there's a thread for the "too small" and one for "too big", so I thought maybe there could be a thread for Goldilocks' "just right" sized...

Last Post By: Gizmo2 Today, 05:45 AM Go to last post
    dieselshadow

What's making you smile today?

Thread Starter: dieselshadow

So I'm borrowing this idea from another forum I'm a member of, but I think it's a great idea for GTT. :thumbup1gif: I got some new speakers for...

Last Post By: mjncad Today, 01:54 AM Go to last post
    techie1961

What did you do on or to your John Deere GT today

Thread Starter: techie1961

I thought that we could use a thread here for the little guys. I have often wanted to post something but there wasn't a general thread for those of...

Last Post By: pidjones Yesterday, 05:59 PM Go to last post
    robpm

What did you do with your JD LCUT today!

Thread Starter: robpm

I know that there is a thread titled close to this on the SCUT section. So I thought that I would start one on the CUT section since that is what I...

Last Post By: SRG Today, 03:09 PM Go to last post
    CADplans

What we did in our shop today!

Thread Starter: CADplans

OK, for me mowing and gardening season is over,,, I get to spend some QUALITY time in the shop. Those projects that have been nagging me were left...

Last Post By: CADplans Yesterday, 06:39 PM Go to last post
    dianedebuda

Movies, Movies, Movies

Thread Starter: dianedebuda

I posted a Gear Grinder http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/off-topic/30874-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-post3001106.html#post3001106 that...

Last Post By: 2LaneCruzer Today, 10:53 AM Go to last post
  • Three years with a 1025R: a "review" with some experience behind it

When I was first looking to buy a tractor I started hunting down options and trying to understand, long-term, how some choices panned out for people. I have found lots of experiences here, and now, having been around for a while, recognize names and know some of the history of some of the others on this forum. Great! But when I was new to the forum and tractor research I didn't know the level of experience some had and it was more difficult to know what were the best choices when making a purchase. Hopefully, for somebody looking for a tractor, this post will help to answer some of the questions and confusion they're encountering based on my few years experience.
    We've just passed the three-year anniversary of owning a 1025R (and a house and property to use it on). You can see it in my signature, I've a 1025R, H120 loader with a 54" bucket, 260 backhoe, 54" mower, 54" snowblower, and a 647 rototiller. How has each purchase panned out?

647 rototiller: a beast of a rototiller, it chews through hard clay like it's soft butter and makes walk-behind tillers look like a child's toy. We bought the tiller with the tractor (as we did for all of the attachments) in December when we bought the house, and while we knew gardening would be a significant interest to us, we didn't consider what our dirt might actually look like. Under the layers of leaves from years of unkept property we found grass that hardly grows because the topsoil layer is so thin and there's nothing but clay beneath it. It doesn't matter how much you till clay it still is hard and nothing grows in it. We've used the tiller a number of times in different areas turn the dirt but it's yielded few areas of good growable soil. In hindsight, if we knew how poor the soil was I would not have purchased the tiller. We've been building raised beds for most things.

Read the rest here: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ce-behind.html
    FormulaB, test and C00lCountry like this.
    Comments 6 Comments
      tjburges26 -
      I have 10 acres of land and I just recently purchased a 1025R arrives tomorrow morning. Watching more and more videos of Tractor Time With Tim I'm happy with versatility! That being said with the amount of land I own I can't help but thinking I should've gone with a 2025R...

What are your thoughts?
      jgayman -
      Quote Originally Posted by tjburges26 View Post
      I have 10 acres of land and I just recently purchased a 1025R arrives tomorrow morning. Watching more and more videos of Tractor Time With Tim I'm happy with versatility! That being said with the amount of land I own I can't help but thinking I should've gone with a 2025R...

What are your thoughts?
      I guess my thought is one of confusion. :-) The 1025R and 2025R are both 25HP tractors with very similar sized chassis. The main difference being the 2025R has slightly larger tires. They are both capably of performing very similar work loads.
      Sergeant -
      2025R
      Besides Bigger rear tires. It had a Different rear Transmissions and a different Frame

The 6 things the 2025R shares In common with the 1025R
      Front Axle
      Engine
      Operators Position Layout
      260B Backhoe
      120R Loader
      PTO Hp the same as 1025R

I would Not Have Bought the 2025R If the Only difference was Bigger rear Tires The different rear Transmission was another Key selling Point for Me along with the Different Frame. It May not Look Like Much On Paper But it really is so Much More tractor Than the 1 series It's Not a sub Compact It is a true Small Frame compact Like Buying a Old JD 850 Compact
      jgayman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
      2025R

I would Not Have Bought the 2025R If the Only difference was Bigger rear Tires The different rear Transmission was another Key selling Point for Me along with the Different Frame. It May not Look Like Much On Paper But it really is so Much More tractor Than the 1 series It's Not a sub Compact It is a true Small Frame compact Like Buying a Old JD 850 Compact
      I'm just curious... where did you see any details about the transmission differences that made it a key selling point for the 2025R? The transmission specifications listed on the JD website for both tractors just lists "Hydrostatic - 2 range". And the transmission section in the brochure for both tractors says "Spur gear".

About the only thing that jumps out at you from the marketing literature is the 1025R has a Limited Cat-1 3PH and the 2025R has a full Cat-1 3PH.
      Sergeant -
      Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
      I'm just curious... where did you see any details about the transmission differences that made it a key selling point for the 2025R? The transmission specifications listed on the JD website for both tractors just lists "Hydrostatic - 2 range". And the transmission section in the brochure for both tractors says "Spur gear".

About the only thing that jumps out at you from the marketing literature is the 1025R has a Limited Cat-1 3PH and the 2025R has a full Cat-1 3PH.
      I asked One of the actual design engineers From Deere who Happens to be a Good friend Of Mine. I made sure I Talked with Him Before I Upgraded. The Transmission is different from the 1 series Do to Capacities The amount of weigh the Rear Axle Can actually Carry. If it were the exact same design as He Put it the Part Number would have stayed the same as the 1 series. There is enough of a design difference In the Internal transmission. The Outer cases actually Look Pretty similar But You Have to Pay attention to the axle Carrier section of the Transmission and if You Look closely at the pumps with the naked eye You will also see the difference as well.

Transmission assembly

LVA23807 1025R as Of 2017 was also Used since 1026R

LVA23387 2025R Gen II

Transmission Pump

LVA19953 1025R as Of 2017 was also Used since serial Number 210001 On 1026R

LVA20625 2025R Gen II

Technically the 2025R(Gen II) has a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch do to Lift Height Though Deere seems to be dropping that In today's Product Literature But You will find it On the website Under specs Listing it as Limited. Manual says 882 Lbs 24inches Product Literature says 915lbs at 24inches It can actually lift more than 915Lbs But Deere is always very conservative On what they actually Publish For It's true Lift Capacity at 24inches On every Tractor they Make. As Deere figure's we users will get our self's Into trouble if we exceed there Published specs

AugustaGJ -
      Take a look at this Video which does a nice comparison between the 1025R and 2025R.

The John Deere 1025R compared to the John Deere 2025R - YouTube

Note: I did work for John Deere before I retired, including the launch of the 1 Series and 2 Series Tractors. In addition, I now work for TriGreen Equipment.
  • John Deere

• Recent Posts

Gizmo2

2025R Gen 2

Per the manual...

Using Differential Lock (Traction Assist)

CAUTION: Driving at high speeds with the traction assist engaged may result

Gizmo2 Today, 04:04 PM Go to last post
    glc

My first tractor

glc Today, 04:03 PM Go to last post
    glc

New Member in Mid Missouri

glc Today, 04:01 PM Go to last post
    SRG

What "Grade" are Cat-1 implement lower pins?

They're only 5 or 6 bucks at the local farm and barns. Hit it with that impact and see what happens.

SRG Today, 04:01 PM Go to last post
    JimR

Post Hold Digger for 2 Series (2320) Looking at a few Options

I bought a used Lienbach unit To be honest, I think they're all pretty much the same. My 30-year old Lienbach has what appears to be the exact same

JimR Today, 03:57 PM Go to last post
    glc

2025R Gen 2

Stan, I would think you are definitely right on that deal! Just hopefully, OP has the linkage corrected.

glc Today, 03:57 PM Go to last post
  • Sponsors