Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mead

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks

Mead

Completely forgot what it is. Mead is fermented honey and water. This old beverage is making a comeback. Though many producers are adding to the ingredients to make their own signature products.

Any of you guys/gals make your own?

The man who wins is the one who thinks he can.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

–Henry Ford

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I don't. It has always been a seasonal beverage. I used to just buy it, when I was in college, when it was in season.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    I want to, since I have bees. Have not gotten enough honey yet to try it. Hopefully next year. I do buy some occasionally. Also, due to my medication, I can have very little alcohol.

Rich
    2012 1026R TLB, Countyline 3pt splitter, EMP QA Snowplow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RichBaxter View Post
    I want to, since I have bees. Have not gotten enough honey yet to try it. Hopefully next year. I do buy some occasionally. Also, due to my medication, I can have very little alcohol.

Rich
    There's not much better than fresh,raw honey. Perhaps it's a little odd for me to post this thread, especially since I don't drink, but the fact that it is made from natural ingredients got my attention. The history of it sure goes back a long ways.

The man who wins is the one who thinks he can.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

–Henry Ford

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    A few of us have discussed it at work. A group of us make wine and beer, and mead is something no one has tried yet. I need to get off my butt and try to make a batch.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green and red man View Post
    Completely forgot what it is. Mead is fermented honey and water. This old beverage is making a comeback. Though many producers are adding to the ingredients to make their own signature products.

Any of you guys/gals make your own?
    Actually, many producers add spices or fruit extracts because they suck at making actual mead. Correctly fermented, mead has a very good flavor to it. But, it is an exacting process. If you're not perfect, the taste isn't so good. So, to offset their screw-ups, producers starting adding other items for flavor that would mask their fermentation mistakes.

Make no mistake - some of the flavors are perfectly fine. But, they would be even better with a perfect mead "under them".
    green and red man likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-11-2019 @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    never made mead, but make hard cider every year, except last year, spring frost took out all the apples.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog, If you can't eat it or hump it, Piss on it and walk away !

10. Top | #8
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs223 View Post
    never made mead, but make hard cider every year, except last year, spring frost took out all the apples.
    I want to make hard apple cider! How many bushels of apples will I need, when the next crop comes in? Is there a particular variety that is better than others?
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I want to make hard apple cider! How many bushels of apples will I need, when the next crop comes in? Is there a particular variety that is better than others?
    Man, there is so much information on the internet;

https://www.google.com/search?q=hist...ient=firefox-a

Apparently hard cider was the mainstay of the U.S. until prohibition; nearly every farmer had an orchard and made hard cider. Prohibition nearly killed it, but it seems to be making a comeback. I had read this previously; people have always consumed a lot of alcohol. It seems that some apples are much better for cider, at least if you want to make a traditional hard cider using the heritage apples, but I'll leave that to the experts. Let us know how you make out with this endeavor FG; I would be interested in a blow-by-blow.

FWIW, I have a recipe for something called "Hooch"; I'll post it in the Cookbook thread if anyone is interested. It is wonderful; just don't let anyone know you have it.
    Last edited by 2LaneCruzer; 01-10-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Have wings, will travel.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (01-10-2014)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-11-2019 @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I always have used golden russet, an old school apple that is not very popular any more. I have a cider mill nearby I work at in the fall so I have it easy there. You can make it with any apple, but the older ones have a better balance of sugars, acid and tannins.
    How many depends on how much you want to make. I do mine in 50 gal. bourbon barrels do 100 each year.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog, If you can't eat it or hump it, Piss on it and walk away !

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast