Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: How do you drink your fiber?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

How do you drink your fiber?

As a relatively young guy in this crowd, I've discovered a new problem some of you 'more experienced' guys might be able to help me out with.

I've got some digestive issues and my doc has decided to put me on a daily dose of saw dust to see if it helps. The stuff doesn't seem to make a negative impact on the flavor of the "juice" I was instructed to mix it with, but it doesn't seem to agree with my Mango Nectar (which probably has a bunch of fiber in it already). It glued itself to the spoon when I inserted it into the floating island of saw dust to stir, then wouldn't come off. It also had a blob of stuff in the bottom of the glass despite being heavily stirred.

I had it with some thinner juice (apple raspberry), but I'm not all that fond of that stuff with the additional saw dust texture.

My dad puts it in orange juice, but we don't typically have that since I like mine sweeter than the typical store offerings (or with Vodka and I'm not sure my doc would approve of that combo) and kiddo won't drink it anyway.

How do you guys do it?
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    As a relatively young guy in this crowd, I've discovered a new problem some of you 'more experienced' guys might be able to help me out with.

I've got some digestive issues and my doc has decided to put me on a daily dose of saw dust to see if it helps. The stuff doesn't seem to make a negative impact on the flavor of the "juice" I was instructed to mix it with, but it doesn't seem to agree with my Mango Nectar (which probably has a bunch of fiber in it already). It glued itself to the spoon when I inserted it into the floating island of saw dust to stir, then wouldn't come off. It also had a blob of stuff in the bottom of the glass despite being heavily stirred.

I had it with some thinner juice (apple raspberry), but I'm not all that fond of that stuff with the additional saw dust texture.

My dad puts it in orange juice, but we don't typically have that since I like mine sweeter than the typical store offerings (or with Vodka and I'm not sure my doc would approve of that combo) and kiddo won't drink it anyway.

How do you guys do it?
    You might consider ditching the supplement and add insoluble fiber to your diet rather than drinking juice from a fruit stripped of the fiber and adding a heavy fiber back in. Mango Nectar carbs are all sugar, no fiber.

3025e
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Gotta follow doc's orders and complete the "test" to see if it changes anything. I'm stuck chewing on this stuff for the next few months. Just trying to make it less chore-esque.
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    JKR
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:36 AM
    Thanks
    Good luck with your test.
    BigJim55, Jim Timber and Robnik like this.
    3033R, HST, 3SVC, 60" heavy bucket with replaceable blade, H165 loader, Trans and engine heater, 60" tow behind mower.
    hydraulic top link, Line kit, 72" hydraulic power angle plow, JD pallet forks, 60" box blade, 60" scraper,
    72" rear rake, Homemade rock bucket, Post hole digger.Piranha Tooth Bar, Ballast box, rear chains,

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    I unfortunately have to do the same. This is the stuff that I use. Now for the mixing instructions.
    1. Fill a tall dry glass 1/2 full of cold water.
    2. Take a dry long teaspoon & dump in 2 scoops of powder (not heaping). Let spoon in glass after dumping in last scoop.
    3. Shake up your favorite orange juice (Simply Orange). Fill glass the rest of the way with juce.
    4. Mix it up good. This is where the long spoon pays off. You can reach the bottom of the glass without your fingers in the mixture.
    5. Let mixture steep/sit for about 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
    6. Start enjoying (yea right). Keep stirring in between drinks.

If you end up needing more fiber. Try eating these gummies. In addition to the juce mixture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2599.jpg  
    JKR, BigJim55 and flyweight like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Jim Timber, I don't have and issue yet but would highly recommend on of these...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hero-ninja-blender-system-with-auto-iq-BL682.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	390777

I do a shake/smoothie 6 mornings a week for breakfast and if working hard I do one for lunch.

A Little Skim Milk
    Wheat Germ
    Milled Flaxseed
    Two Ice Cubes
    A Handful of Frozen Mixed Fruit
    Half of a Fresh Banana
    Half of a Fresh Apple
    Scoop of Whey Protein
    Add a Little Cold Water

Mix and Drink!

You need to hide the taste and or consistency.
    I think you could throw the kitchen sink in and it would taste fine.
    JKR, BigJim55, flyweight and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I take my allergy and hypertension pills first thing in the morning, and the saw dust says to wait two hours for meds because it'll screw up absorption.

Making fruit smoothies is more work than getting the cake off the spoon.

In the army we had to chug (2) 8oz glasses of water prior to every meal in BCT. That's my current technique for this stuff. I just want to mix it and make it go down ASAP to be done with it.

I wonder how much it'd screw up chocolate chip cookies? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cogitating.gif 
Views:	56 
Size:	376 Bytes 
ID:	391017
    Gizmo2, JKR, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    I take my allergy and hypertension pills first thing in the morning, and the saw dust says to wait two hours for meds because it'll screw up absorption.

Making fruit smoothies is more work than getting the cake off the spoon.

In the army we had to chug (2) 8oz glasses of water prior to every meal in BCT. That's my current technique for this stuff. I just want to mix it and make it go down ASAP to be done with it.

I wonder how much it'd screw up chocolate chip cookies? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cogitating.gif 
Views:	56 
Size:	376 Bytes 
ID:	391017
    I take my pills with breakfast. Then usually wait an hour at least before mixing up the gack. If I wait to long I'll forget like today. Unfortunately you have to let the mixture sit a little bit for the power to absorb the liquid. If you wait to long it starts going warm. Then it's even more nasty.
    Just follow my mixing instructions to the letter. It's a solid system. lol
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and Jim Timber like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Thanks
    I used to take fiber (Metamucil?) every day. I really should start doing it again, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Back when I was doing it on a regular basis, I bought cases of small (8 or 10 oz) water bottles. I'd take one of those bottles, drink a little bit out of it, dump the fiber in (using the top of another bottle that i'd cut off to make a funnel), shake it up real well, chug it down and then pitch the empty bottle. That saved me having to try and wash that stuff off any spoon!
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and flyweight like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'll spare you guys the reasons behind the testing of saw dust. This is the food section after all.

So far it's not doing anything beneficial, but my blood pressure medication has me at 'normal' again, so that's good.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and flyweight like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast