Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Whatcha having for Thanksgiving - 2017

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 AM
    Thanks

Whatcha having for Thanksgiving - 2017

It's the beginning of November and time to start thinking about Thanksgiving. Looks like it will be just the wife and myself again this year, but that doesn't stop me from fixing up the whole deal. Seems like we have fallen in to a rut, same ole menu year after year.

I'm going to share what our menu will most likely be this year, and hopefully with input from others' menus I may switch things up a bit.

Here goes:

Smoked Turkey breast, haven't decided on this years brine whether to go citrus or maple
    Roasted Turkey (small), mainly for the dark meat for the dogs but also for gravy stock and giblets
    Mashed potatoes
    Gravy w/ giblets
    Stuffing with pecans and cranberries
    Candied Yams with marshmallows
    Green bean surprise
    Corn
    Acorn squash (for me, she don't like it)
    Cranberry sauce (for her, I don't like it)
    Rolls
    Apple Pie w/ whipped topping

This will end up giving us 4-5 days worth of meals. You know the drill; Thanksgiving (Thurs), Thanksgiving the sequel (Friday), Turkey and gravy over toast (Sat), Turkey salad tortilla bowls (Sun).

Any ideas or favorites for a Turkey brine?? Willing to try something new this year.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, Levi and 8 others like this.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,399 Posts
    The plan is to have over close friends who's families are across the country, just as we do each Thanksgiving. Then the menu will be;

Turkey
    Dressing with a crispy top finished in the oven
    Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Butter
    Macaroni Moose (An EXCELLENT Dish from my grandmothers recipe)
    Corn
    Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
    Home made Rolls
    Home made wheat bread
    Pumpkin Pie

The Macaroni Moose is a layered dish baked in a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish in the oven. It has cooked macaroni, cream of mushroom soup, pimentos, sliced mushrooms, 3 types cheeses, torn up bread pieces and probably some other stuff I am forgetting. You mix the ingredients (leaving out the cream of mushroom soup) in a bowl and then you put a layer in the pyrex baking dish, layer shredded cheeses across the top, another layer of the ingredients and then another layer of cheese and then a can of cream of mushroom soup spread over the top sprinkled with more shredded cheese and then baked in the oven. I will have to take some pictures of it this year for this site. It's a great holiday dish.

I posted the actual recipe last Thanksgiving somewhere on GTT.....

Mrs. Bear does all of the cooking and she wants to do it by herself.
    I will bake the pies, bread and rolls since I have a little experience in the this area.....

Then consume, clean up and fall asleep on the couch watching anything BUT the New Felon League.........
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, Levi and 5 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    Our plans are up in the air. We will either be close by or far away, not sure at this point. The menu will be the same no matter:

Over roasted turkey
    Stuffing.....pretty fussy about the stuffing....Pepperidge Farm Blue bag, fried bacon, hard boiled eggs, chicken broth, celery and onion
    Gravy
    Corn and peas
    Butternut Squash
    Corn Bread Pudding
    Jellied Cranberry Sauce
    Baked potatoes
    All pretty standard stuff, but truly my favorite meal of the year.

Dessert will be:
    Pumpkin Pie
    Apple Pie
    Mixed Berry Pie
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    ...Stuffing.....pretty fussy about the stuffing....Pepperidge Farm Blue bag, fried bacon, hard boiled eggs, chicken broth, celery and onion...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	480922

May have to try and sneak in some bacon in the stuffing this year.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, Levi and 6 others like this.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    Fry up the bacon. Then use the drippings to cook the celery and onion. Then add the finely diced hard boiled eggs and bacon. Last, add the stuffing and stir adding chicken broth until it gets to a not too dry/not too moist consistency. Good stuff
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Growing up we always had Hogmaw for thanksgiving. My grandmother always made it. I miss it.

This year it will be at the wife’s parents most likely.

Turkey
    Ham
    Corn
    Mashed potatoes
    Sweet potatoes
    Green beans
    Cranberry sauce or relish
    Ham gravy
    Turkey gravy
    Stuffing
    Rolls

Homemade pumpkin pie
    And some sort of cake.

We won’t be going hungry. :no:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, Levi and 5 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

9. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    I almost hate to say what we do for Thanksgiving;

We are alone, never had kids and no family; they are all dead now so we don't do much anymore. Last year the wife did the turkey, gravy, potatoes, cranberry sauce with no friggin seeds, stuffing, and ginger cake with whipped cream, wife had a few white russians and I had a couple Glenlivets, she even set the real table (which is our catch all for keys, eye glasses etc.) instead of eating in front of the TV. The year before a homemade pizza! Yup that's right PIZZA and beer... Like I said we are alone so we don't do the normal Thanksgiving routine. The year before that we had Prime rib and sliced potatoes on the grill. Drinks are always involved and she makes a great margarita.. After that we head to the Legion like all our kid-less or elderly friends do for the rest of the day.. Maybe watch a game on the tube.. Great camaraderie, That's it. and I'm not a communist!
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite days. After our son and DIL purchased a large home on four acres in Kansas, the mantel of hosting Thanksgiving moved from our place to theirs. Given my wife and I are more “Minnesotan” and our DIL is from Arkansas, this resulted in several points of culinary cultural shock, including grits, cornbread and fried turkey instead of the usual fare! (no hate mail…I love grits, cornbread and fried turkey, just not for thanksgiving). Worse yet, no leftovers!

Therefore we started a new tradition of having “second thanksgiving” on Saturday. This year’s menu includes:
    Turkey
    Mashed Yukon potatoes
    Turkey gravy
    Cranberries
    Asparagus spears with bacon
    Homemade yeast rolls
    Black Walnut pie
    Sparkling Cider

The next day we’ll enjoy German Potato Pancakes while feasting on the leftovers.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, Levi and 4 others like this.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Ok so maybe my family is a little weird. We all got tired of the usual thanksgiving dinner menu. So a couple of years ago my wife asked the kids what they wanted (our son is 30 and our daughter is 21) their answer was mexican. So we started a new tradition. We have a taco bar setup, enchiladas, burritos and chips, dip and salsa. Now it seems that everyone looks forward to thanksgiving dinner. Go figure.
    2013 JD 4105, Frontier 72" box blade, 300CX loader and a set of pallet forks.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    No idea what I’m doing, but I’m sure it’ll be an adventure.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast