Thread: BBQ Rub?

1. Top | #1
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts

BBQ Rub?

Looking for a good store bought BBQ meat Rub. Any suggestions?

Has anyone used Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    2LaneCruzer posted his homemade rub recipes. Not store bought, but he mentioned what they were "patterned after", if memory serves. Might either make one (or both) of his, or look for something similar.

I haven't purchased a rub in so long that I wouldn't even know what is available on a store shelf anymore. Sorry, I'm no help.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    2LaneCruzer posted his homemade rub recipes. Not store bought, but he mentioned what they were "patterned after", if memory serves. Might either make one (or both) of his, or look for something similar.

I haven't purchased a rub in so long that I wouldn't even know what is available on a store shelf anymore. Sorry, I'm no help.
    Makes two of us.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,295 Times in 2,584 Posts
    I really like 2LaneCruzer's rub. He says it's spicy, but I think it's mild, just right for the folks I burn meat for.
    Gizmo2 and farmgirl19 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Looking for a good store bought BBQ meat Rub. Any suggestions?

Has anyone used Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub?
    What kind of flavor do you want in your BBQ? If you like a sweet tasting rib, try "Sweet Baby Rays"; or "Texas BBQ Rub, Original". "Three Little Pigs" makes a good rub also. If you want off the shelf rub, "Bad Byron's Butt Rubb" is, in my opinion, the best you can buy, not sweet, but it's a tad too hot for most folks. "Cain BBQ Spice (or rubb) is probably my second choice; it's not as hot, but it does contain MSG.

As FG mentioned, I make my own. I posted my recipe previously; the #1 is as close to Bad Byron's Butt Rub as I could get. My #2 rubb is my own special blend, that I think has a wonderful flavor, but it isn't too hot for my grand kids. For me, who doesn't like a really hot or sweet rubb, my #2 is the best.

In my opinion, there are a couple other things that affect the flavor of ribs; first is the slow cooking at 250 degrees in a smoker (about 2 and 1/2 hours), the second is the mix of smoking wood...I use Mesquite, Blackjack Oak and Pecan...last but not least, I like to put the rubb on my ribs the night before and let it permeate the meat.
    Last edited by 2LaneCruzer; 06-17-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (06-17-2014)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I really like 2LaneCruzer's rub. He says it's spicy, but I think it's mild, just right for the folks I burn meat for.
    You talking about the #1? I like it also, but the grandkids wouldn't eat my ribs...burned their mouths...so I came up with the #2. The main complaints I got with commercial rubb was "too hot", "too salty" or "too sweet". I'm probably one of the few who can't stand it sweet.
    Have wings, will travel.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I couldn't tell much difference between the two honestly. So now we just mix the #1. It's good stuff.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I couldn't tell much difference between the two honestly. So now we just mix the #1. It's good stuff.
    Now that everyone has led me on, I'll repost my recipe for ribs:

Baby back ribs on the Big Green Egg or your own brand of smoker

INGREDIENTS

2 Slabs nice meaty baby back ribs, thawed, rinsed and patted dry
    olive oil or Pam; spray can works best
    Rib Rub
    Turkey bake-in bag
    chunk charcoal
    CURED wood chunks for smoking; I prefer about 1/3 Mesquite, 1/3 blackjack oak and 1/3 pecan. Blackjack isn't available everywhere, so regular oak is OK. Hickory is good also. I never use green wood nor do I soak mine.

Lay the ribs in a cookie sheet, bony side up. Spray a fine coat of olive oil on the ribs and add a generous coating of your rubb. I use the #2 almost exclusively.

Turn the ribs over, spray the other side with the olive oil and generously coat the meaty side with the rub. Place into the bake-in bag overnight in the frige. I like to prepare them the day before if I can, but I don't always have that luxury.

I usually add a few chunks of wood to the smoker before I add the burning charcoal on top. I use the chunk charcoal in the Egg, and I start it using the chimney device so I don't have to use charcoal lighter. Add the hot charcoal to the smoker and place the rest of the smoking wood on top. I usually use about 2 or 3 medium size chunks of each on top of the coals. Mesquite is a great smoking wood, but it doesn't take a lot to make the meat bitter, so go easy with it until you learn how much to use.

When the coals are ready, I place the ribs on the grill bony side down. If I cook more than 2 slabs, I use a rib rack but prefer they lie flat. I also cook directly over the coals instead of indirect because I like them to brown a bit. If you insist on a brush on sauce, I recommend Woody's Cooking Sauce.

I set the smoker to cook at about 250 degrees Farenheit or a bit below. It takes about 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours usually for baby backs; much more and they will just fall apart. I start checking them after about 2 hours. The hardest part is deciding when they are done; when a toothpick penetrates the meat easily they are done; look for the ribs to starting pulling away from the ends of the bones.

I like to let them sit for a few minutes until they cool before slicing them up. If you are transporting them say to Grandma's house, wrap them in aluminum foil, and then in a beach towel or two and put them in your small beer cooler. They will stay warm for a couple hours.

Enjoy.

A few comments on rubs...There are a couple commercial rubs I like very much. The first is Bad Byron's Butt Rubb. It is an excellent rub, but it is too spicy for most folks, especially the kids. I also like Cain's BBQ Rub; it is milder and has a great flavor, but it does contain MSG. I have formulated my own rubs; the recipes are below. The # 1 is as close to Bad Byron's Butt Rubb as I could get, but here again, it's fairly spicy hot. The #2 is what I use almost exclusively any more; not too hot for the kids and everyone seems to like it really well.

Sorry, these recipes make a pretty good size batch, but I use a lot of the #2. If you want less, you'll have to go to the conversion charts and cut it down some. When I'm cooking just for myself and Sharn Jean, I usually add a little extra garlic directly to the ribs during the prep phase. There are a lot of prep variations I have used; I often will spread a couple tablespoons of yellow mustard on the ribs, gives them just a hint of vinegar, but here again, you can get too much if you aren't careful.

D.G.'s #1 Rib Rub

1 Cup Paprika
    2/3 Cup Black pepper ( mix of regular and coarse ground)
    1/2 Cup Granulated Garlic
    3 TBSP Salt (fine sea salt; no Iodine added)
    3 TBSP Granulated Onion
    3 TBSP Chipotle Powder

D.G.'s #2 Rib Rub

1 Cup Paprika
    2/3 Cup Black Pepper (mix of regular and coarse ground)
    1/2 Cup Granulated Garlic
    1/3 Cup Brown Sugar (light)
    1/3 Cup white Sugar
    1/3 Cup Ginger
    3 TBSP Salt (fine sea salt; no Iodine added)
    3 TBSP Granulated Onion
    3 TBSP Chipotle Powder
    2 TBSP Lemon Pepper
    2TBSP Celery Seed
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

Bubber (06-20-2014), farmgirl19 (06-17-2014), Jeff R. (06-17-2014)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    2LaneCruzer, Sweet Baby Rays is my go to sauce and that is the taste I like. I am looking for a rub to use for smoking a brisket.
    I all but ruined baby back ribs this past weekend, basically ended up with bacon on a stick (no rub and apparently went to the same meat cooking school as dieselshadow). I would prefer to go to the store and just buy something or go online.
    Keith

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    2LaneCruzer, Sweet Baby Rays is my go to sauce and that is the taste I like. I am looking for a rub to use for smoking a brisket.
    I all but ruined baby back ribs this past weekend, basically ended up with bacon on a stick (no rub and apparently went to the same meat cooking school as dieselshadow). I would prefer to go to the store and just buy something or go online.
    We went to different BBQ schools together?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403034467.820049.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	423.3 KB 
ID:	29377

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403034497.208480.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	520.8 KB 
ID:	29378

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403034531.236082.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	443.5 KB 
ID:	29379

My wife loves these ribs. She can't get enough of them.
    Gizmo2 and farmgirl19 like this.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast