Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Big Green Egg Advice Needed

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Thanks

Big Green Egg Advice Needed

I know that a lot of you guys have Big Green Eggs. Also, I read TroutGeek's thread from last month where he just picked up an XL BGE. My step-son is thinking about getting one and, of course, his Mom (aka Sweetie!) would like to get him one for Christmas. And... I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting one myself.

I have a 5 burner gas grill which I also use to smoke stuff on. It works as a smoker, although it's not necessarily ideal. He just moved into a new house (from a townhouse) and currently has no outdoor cooking apparatus.

Trying to figure out which size to get for both he and I. I'm usually in the "you can't go too big" camp (except when it comes to my belly size! ) so I'm kind of leaning towards the XL.

So here are some "facts" that might influence your advice to me:
    ** Both households are childless (although we're patiently waiting on grandkids!)
    ** We live about 1.5 hours from each other, so it's not like we can just go down the street to use the other one's BGE
    ** Ribs are a favorite of both households. Generally no more than 2-4 racks would be prepared at any given time, although we do have family gatherings.
    ** Sweetie loves chicken - mostly legs/thighs - I don't generally do whole birds on the grill, although I'm not opposed to it.
    ** I've recently been playing around with using pizza stones for homemade pizza, so that might be something else that I'd use the egg for.

Would the Large suffice, or should we just jump into the XL and be done with it? Does the XL use more fuel to get ready than the L? In other words, am I wasting charcoal with the XL?

What are the minimum "starter accessories" that I should get for the BGE? A "nest" on wheels? Racks? A starter bag of some special charcoal (or whatever you burn in these things ), etc.

I've got a local guy that is an authorized dealer. He knocks 10% off the retail price. Is that about normal or should I shop around?

Are they tough to assemble?

Am I missing anything obvious? Am I going to be the best step-dad in the world if I get him one? (Although he and his wife had me officiate their wedding, so I'm not sure how much more "best" I can get after that! )

Not to put any pressure on you guys, but I'd like to make a decision by Monday. The local guy says it takes "about a week" to get them in when he orders, so ordering on Monday will hopefully get it here by Dec. 25.

THANKS for all the advice that I know is heading my way!! You Big Green Tractor Guys are the BEST!
    Troutgeek and PJR832 like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    Will be watching as I am interested in learning more about them also.
    bvbearcat likes this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I don’t have the big green egg but I have a nice similar style, I have a 12” pizza stone, at first I thought I wanted bigger, but as it turned out this is great. I can make “individual” pizzas since the girls and wife and myself seem to have different tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pcabe5, jdmich and bvbearcat like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (12-11-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    I know that a lot of you guys have Big Green Eggs. Also, I read TroutGeek's thread from last month where he just picked up an XL BGE. My step-son is thinking about getting one and, of course, his Mom (aka Sweetie!) would like to get him one for Christmas. And... I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting one myself.

I have a 5 burner gas grill which I also use to smoke stuff on. It works as a smoker, although it's not necessarily ideal. He just moved into a new house (from a townhouse) and currently has no outdoor cooking apparatus.

Trying to figure out which size to get for both he and I. I'm usually in the "you can't go too big" camp (except when it comes to my belly size! ) so I'm kind of leaning towards the XL.

So here are some "facts" that might influence your advice to me:
    ** Both households are childless (although we're patiently waiting on grandkids!)
    ** We live about 1.5 hours from each other, so it's not like we can just go down the street to use the other one's BGE
    ** Ribs are a favorite of both households. Generally no more than 2-4 racks would be prepared at any given time, although we do have family gatherings.
    ** Sweetie loves chicken - mostly legs/thighs - I don't generally do whole birds on the grill, although I'm not opposed to it.
    ** I've recently been playing around with using pizza stones for homemade pizza, so that might be something else that I'd use the egg for.

Would the Large suffice, or should we just jump into the XL and be done with it? Does the XL use more fuel to get ready than the L? In other words, am I wasting charcoal with the XL?

I fretted this decision too, but I can absolutely say now GET THE XL! I am sooooo glad I did, I could not imagine using the smaller large now, especially for doing a big brisket or ribs.

It only "uses" charcoal when it's burning (obviously) but the major advantage of these type grills is the air control, you just shut all the vents when your done, the charcoal goes out quickly and cam be re-lit later for the next cook. Nothing is wasted.

What are the minimum "starter accessories" that I should get for the BGE? A "nest" on wheels? Racks? A starter bag of some special charcoal (or whatever you burn in these things ), etc.

For us it was the nest on wheels, the side shelves, the plate setter, and the ash cleanout tool. I have since added the pizza stone and cover.

I've got a local guy that is an authorized dealer. He knocks 10% off the retail price. Is that about normal or should I shop around?
    They are pretty price-fixed, so 10% is a good deal.

Are they tough to assemble?
    Not at all with two people. The Egg is HEAVY however but manageable.

Am I missing anything obvious?
    Yes, some MEAT for it!

Am I going to be the best step-dad in the world if I get him one?
    You would be to me! Especially if you got him the CyberQ Cloud from the BBQ Guru to go with it

(Although he and his wife had me officiate their wedding, so I'm not sure how much more "best" I can get after that! )

Not to put any pressure on you guys, but I'd like to make a decision by Monday. The local guy says it takes "about a week" to get them in when he orders, so ordering on Monday will hopefully get it here by Dec. 25.

THANKS for all the advice that I know is heading my way!! You Big Green Tractor Guys are the BEST!
    See red above
    jdmich, Troutgeek, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (12-09-2017), mark02tj (12-09-2017)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Thanks

MiniMax for us

As a different viewpoint, we got the minimax for the two of us because
    1) ‘we’ can lift it into/out of the truck when camping
    2) can still do a small turkey for 4 plus grandkids
    3) good tailgater if you do that (we dont)
    4) less cost
    5) it is portable (see 1 above)
    6} great for pizza
    PJR832 and bvbearcat like this.
    2018 Kubota RTVX 1100c
    2014 JD3046R CAB, H165 FEL, 72 HD" Bucket, 72D Auto MMM, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Frontier 1172 SB
    2002 JD4310 OS, 430 FEL, 60" HD Bucket, 60" MMM, Quick Hitch
    2001 Kubota TG1860G
    Wallenstein BX42R Chipper, JD MX5 Mower, HORST Pallet Forks
    Berkelmans Welding 2 Ton Farm Dump Trailer (JD Green)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kadorken For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (12-09-2017)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    We don’t use ours ours for small meals LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50FBB6D2-CC46-4676-95B3-1EEED679089C.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	768.0 KB 
ID:	505178

Name:	747A6939-5BE3-4594-9A1E-1F21AAA95F5D.jpeg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	505186
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (12-09-2017)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    We don’t use ours ours for small meals LOL

Name:	50FBB6D2-CC46-4676-95B3-1EEED679089C.jpeg 
Size:	768.0 KB 
ID:	505178

Name:	747A6939-5BE3-4594-9A1E-1F21AAA95F5D.jpeg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	505186
    Just not fair Kenny 🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kennyd, ColonyPark and Catfishin like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    I guess to start,, HMMMMMM,,,, who is the charcoal cooking guy?

If you have only cooked on propane,, sometimes it is impossible to transition to charcoal.
    I am a transition,, I used propane for 20 years,, and have used Kingsford for the past 15 years.
    I prefer charcoal, but, I know LOTS of people that swear I am crazy for using charcoal.

My grill of choice is a $19 Kingsford grill, and,,, I have zero interest in a BGE.
    (my Kingsford grill is a Weber copy)
    I use 300-500 pounds of charcoal a year. I do all the grill cooking.

My results make everybody so happy,,
    the entire family cringes when I bring up the topic of a different grill,,,
    "everybody" equals about 12 people, with some occasional guests.

You do not want to invest in a BGE, then have it set,, too much money invested not to use it.

So, my recommendation is the grillmaster get used to charcoal with a $20-30 grill,,,THEN,,
    and only then, spend that much on a BGE,,,
    PJR832 likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (12-09-2017)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    We have the medium BGE, mostly for the two of us. But we have used it for family parties and seems to work fine, although sometimes the large would be better for our use. It is easy to assemble, just some heavy pieces to maneuver into place.

The accessories we have:
    Nest with wheels, handy if we want to move from the shop porch to the patio.
    Folding side slat or the wooden folding tables mounted on each side of egg handle (whatever they are called)
    "convEGGtor" for indirect heat and cooking. We would not be without this accessory.
    For hamburger, we added a perforated grid to keep the burger from falling apart and into the fire.
    Rib rack for our ribs. We also use the rib rack for roast. Just flip the rib rack over and let the handles become the legs.
    The ash tool for cleaning out the ash tray.
    The special grill handle tool.
    The Green Egg lump coal. We have tried other brands, but seem their coal just lasts longer. After you're done cooking, shut your fire down by closing all vents and you will save on the leftover lump coal for the next cookout.

We have smoked several 15-18 lb. wild turkey using fresh cut hickory or apple wood.

Our favorites though are usually ribs.
    Ribs slabs cut in half on the medium size BGE.

Name:	rib rack.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	505218

We also cook up a dozen tenderloin on a nice day in Sept. or Oct. and then put them in the freezer. The wife reheats them and they last throughout the winter when we don't usually cook outside. IMO, I think they taste as good or even better when we do it this way.
    Four tenderloins at a time fit on the medium size BGE.

Name:	tenderloin.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	505226

Some ideas that may help. If we were to buy another one to replace the medium size, it would be the large size for us.
    ColonyPark, PJR832 and bvbearcat like this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilmo For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (12-09-2017), mark02tj (12-09-2017)

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    I have the XL and the L. If I were to do it again, I would likely get 2 XL so my advice would be to go with the XL. It is not that much difference in price but the cooking area is a good bit more.

As for accessories, I would get the cleanout tool and the platesetter. I bought the cast iron platesetter as I had 2 of the ones made from the same material as the egg and they both cracked. You can always add the pizza stone if you want to make pizzas on it. I would also advise some mits so that you do not lose any hair on your arm if you forget to burp the egg before opening it fully, been there done that. I would also suggest an electric starter. They get the wood going pretty quickly and is ready to cook in less than 15 minutes.

I personally will never buy another grill of any kind unless it is another BGE.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CNGreen For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (12-10-2017)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast