Today was a sad day. My beloved smoker, that I use a lot, went up in flames. I use this smoker for bacon and brisket mostly, but chickens and pork but too. Today started like every other day that I crank it up. Set the meat out, soak the chips, clean what excess grease that I can get off, of the old girl and put the heat to her. I've used propane smokers for ever. Chips in, temp up I put the brisket in. I use a remote thermometer and after the temperature recovered, I settled in for a long smoke and then the beeping began. The temp shot up quickly. Fire. I went to investigate and the chips had caught and were burning. I killed the propane, shut all of the vents and prepared to get the chip tray out. Unfortunately, the fire spread and the grease on top of the water started to burn. It took off from there. All of the hard work seasoning this smoker was going up in flames in front of me. My thermometer peaks at 999 degrees F and it was pegged. It all happened very quickly and I ultimately had to pull the fire extinguisher on it. There were flames about 6 feet out of the top.
I've been doing this a long time and I'm glad that I caught this one as quickly as I did. I lost the smoker, and 7 pounds of brisket, but otherwise, everything is ok.
Reminder, be careful. No matter how long you have been doing something, it can go wrong in an instant.
(Sorry, no action pictures, I was too busy taking care of the situation).