Induction Cooktops-What do you know/think?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Induction Cooktops-What do you know/think?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Thanks

Induction Cooktops-What do you know/think?

Wife and I were looking at a new stove and we're now thinking about an induction cooktop. For years, I wanted a commercial grade gas cooktop with an electric convection oven, but would have to get propane installed at the house. Also I remember that gas stoves are a pain to clean. As we have been looking at options, we came across induction stoves, but they have been traditionally very expensive. Prices are now getting reasonable, but we're not sure if that is the way we want to go. We don't know anyone who has one yet.

The advantages are more efficient energy usage, stove surface has no open flame or hot heating element, very rapid heating, solid surface cooktop for really easy cleanup, heating unit automatically goes into standby when you remove the pot/pan and probably more advantages than I can remember.

Main disadvantages, is that induction is still more expensive than gas or standard electric and that 95% of my pots and pans need to be replaced. Induction ready cookware has to be magnetic to work, only my 3 old cast iron skillets would work. Over the years, we have purchased several All-Clad brand and good Calphalon pieces that we really like. We're going back to SS and cast iron and getting away from Teflon and other non-stick cookware. Unfortunately, most everything we have will not work, and replacing our cookware with similar "induction ready" pieces will cost much more than the new stove and then some.

There is also a hybrid stove available that has 2 regular electric burners and 2 induction burners. But if we were to go induction why not go "all the way".

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with induction cooktops? What do you think?
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    In short order, ALL of them induction type stoves inherit a "round stain" around the burner parameter.
    Go with the gas, you'll be much happier.
    636mullet and Levi like this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    I have some knowledge of them but you seem to have everything laid out pretty well already. IMO, they are a great idea if you've got little ones around or someone that has issues moving quickly if need be, falls or is forgetful and walks off leaving the stove on for hours on end (i.e. my 83-year old mother!)

The entire deal with no heat unless there is a ferrous metal pan on the stove top really adds to the safety of them. The downfall of course, is that sucking sounds it creates on your bank account.
    Tomfive and Levi like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post
    In short order, ALL of them induction type stoves inherit a "round stain" around the burner parameter.
    Go with the gas, you'll be much happier.
    I've seen that on standard ceramic cooktops but never on an induction unit.
    Tomfive and Tractor Tim like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    We recently replaced our stove with a natural gas convection oven. We like it a lot, cooks very nice, but as you guessed the stove top is a bit more to cleanup as its not a flat surface. Bonus is that is works even if the power goes out. Downside is that there are some fumes so we run the hood fan when its on, also we have small kids that play with things and have found the burners turned on before but not lit.

SIL got an induction oven and really likes it, we got a bunch of her old pots and pans that were only a year old because she had to buy new ones. I wouldn't bother with a hybrid, you'll have to buy new pots anyway, may as well go all the way.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    We love our induction cooktop. Had it for 3+ years now. Heats VERY quickly, and stops heating even more quickly when commanded. Even better temperature control than our previous gas cooktop. Kitchen remains much cooler, as there is much less heat from the cooktop compared to gas. No brown rings like the older smooth electric cooktops often displayed.
    Easy to use. Easy to clean.

Here is a picture of it after 3 years of everyday use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419734854.572607.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	37435

Hard to take a good picture of it due to the glare :-). ...but it looks just as nice as it did the day we installed it.

We bought it online significantly cheaper than we could find it in a store. I can find the name of the place if necessary.

You'll need steel pots rather than aluminum since it uses magnetism to heat. However, we've found that even inexpensive pots like those from IKEA work great with it.
    Unlike with gas, where we had high quality/price pots, we just use the cheap stuff with the induction cooktop.

I hope this helps.
    Tomfive, Levi and coaltrain like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    12-04-2018 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    We went dual fuel when we built our house. Granted, propane was planned but we love the range. I enjoy cooking with gas over electric but having the oven electric keeps the temp constant. Microwave goes in pantry. Was placed on counter while painters did touch ups.

Brett

2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2”lift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN
    2013 AND 2014 5055E CAB H240

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,033 Times in 2,513 Posts
    My MIL gave us a NuWave Pro portable cook top last year for Christmas, we both though it to be a gimmick at first, but we use this this all the time! Luckily all our pots (Emeril branded) were compatible so we didn't have top buy new ones. It is amazing how fast you can boil a large pot of water or heat up some leftovers. If we had to replace our full size stove/oven, we would surly consider going induction.
    Tomfive and Tractor Tim like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    For a cooktop, I still prefer gas. As was mentioned by someone else, the oven can be electric, as I would have to use propane for that, and it would make a dent in my tank, certain times of the year, when baking.

Unfortunately, I have electric stove and oven currently, but if I ever get the remodel I want, I'll have gas stove and water heater!

Only thing I can actually offer about the stovetops in question, is they can scratch easily. But, it might be the model the friend has, so take that, FWIW.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Just to make sure everyone is on the same page...

Traditional electric cooktops are totally different than induction. The only similarity is in how they plug into the wall :-)

Some stores will give demonstrations of induction cooktops. HH Gregg is where we saw our first induction cooktop in action.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements