• 3 Post By Brians2032R
  • 5 Post By Brians2032R

Thread: Cooking with Leftover Ham

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks

Cooking with Leftover Ham

I was just driving along this a.m., heading back home from dropping off my "Trailer Project" decals to be made up in advance of my springtime project, and all of a sudden it just "brainfarted" in my noggin'.
    Leftover spiral ham, sliced onions, fresh green-beans, and a few nice 'taters.
    Slice the 'taters just as you would for a conventional Scalloped Potato dish, mix the milk, salt & pepper and flour just the same as for the scalloped potatoes, add the sliced onions and cut up ham pieces, dish them all together into an 8" x 11" glass baking container, shake some grated sharp cheese on top, and bake it in the oven @ 325* for 'bout 45 minutes.
    That, in itself, will be enough of a meal for the wife and myself, as it contains all the food pyramid contents: meat / vegetables / dairy products.
    I'll take a couple pics after it's all baked, and one on the plate for presentations sake, and just add it to this posting, if possible to do like that.
    Some of my best ideas come when I'm sound asleep or just driving along by myself.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,913 Posts
    Add some pea soup with ham and I'm in!
    Levi, BigJim55 and Bill Berger like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    OK folks! Just finished off a nice full plate, and, here's the pictures of it, as promised.
    It was pretty good, to me and my wife.
    1. Sliced, diced, prepared and in the Pyrex
    2. Sauce poured over all of it
    3. Fresh out of the oven (actually took an hour and fifteen minutes @ 350*, wife asked me to not put cheese on top as the milk was plenty of dairy product for her at one setting. She's not able to eat a lot of dairy product, it bothers her stomach).
    4. On the plate and ready to eat
    Looks like enough left over to eat for tomorrows' lunch !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1318.JPG   DSCN1319.JPG   DSCN1320.JPG   DSCN1321.JPG  
    Last edited by Bill Berger; 12-29-2014 at 05:07 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    When do ya ship?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    When do ya ship?
    My wife said "This is why you always end up being asked to cook at a lot of our neighborhood gatherings".
    To be honest, I looked one time into what it would take to open a restaraunt, but they had too many regulations to suit me, I shortly found out.
    Brians2032R and BigJim55 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post
    My wife said "This is why you always end up being asked to cook at a lot of our neighborhood gatherings".
    To be honest, I looked one time into what it would take to open a restaraunt, but they had too many regulations to suit me, I shortly found out.
    I always wanted to be a short order cook. But I guess that ship has sailed.
    Brians2032R and BigJim55 like this.
    Keith

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    03-07-2019 @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post
    I ran a concession trailer for a several years. Wanted to open a restaraunt but alot of the regulations are stupid. You have to be careful if you try to use used equipment to get started or buy a restaraunt with used equipment. It's hard to get it all to pass inspection. The concession trailer was hard enough but I was always complimented by the board of health as having some of the cleanest equipment. I changed the light bulbs on one set of lights and didn't get the cover on before it got inspected once. They said either take the covers off all the lights or get that one back on (wich I was anyway). Thought that was kind of a stupid nit pik.
    2014 John Deere 2032R
    H130 FEL, 54" Front Blade modded to 70", "Priceless" Artillian 42" pallet forks.http://www.artillian.com/
    I-Match hitch, Ballast Box, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, Rear Blade
    Traded in: 1026R w/fel, 60" auto conn. deck. Great tractor. Will be missed.
    Sold to fil: 445 w/54" deck, snow blade/plow, 3pt. hitch
    Sold to father: JD stx38 Has outrun it's hood.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    03-07-2019 @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I always wanted to be a short order cook. But I guess that ship has sailed.
    Better off anyway, they don't get alot of Breaks.
    2014 John Deere 2032R
    H130 FEL, 54" Front Blade modded to 70", "Priceless" Artillian 42" pallet forks.http://www.artillian.com/
    I-Match hitch, Ballast Box, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, Rear Blade
    Traded in: 1026R w/fel, 60" auto conn. deck. Great tractor. Will be missed.
    Sold to fil: 445 w/54" deck, snow blade/plow, 3pt. hitch
    Sold to father: JD stx38 Has outrun it's hood.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brians2032R View Post
    I ran a concession trailer for a several years. Wanted to open a restaraunt but alot of the regulations are stupid. You have to be careful if you try to use used equipment to get started or buy a restaraunt with used equipment. It's hard to get it all to pass inspection. The concession trailer was hard enough but I was always complimented by the board of health as having some of the cleanest equipment. I changed the light bulbs on one set of lights and didn't get the cover on before it got inspected once. They said either take the covers off all the lights or get that one back on (wich I was anyway). Thought that was kind of a stupid nit pik.
    I worked for the Health Department for many years, and have even been appointed Hearing Examiner on several restaurant license revocation cases. Most of these guys try to do a good job, but if you run a spotless operation, sometimes they they will nit pick simply they need to show they are doing a good job by finding "something" out of place. If you run a tight ship and get along well with them, life will be good. Not all food service is spotless though.

I was hearing a revocation case concerning a little old lady who ran a small cafe in an old dilapidated building; it seems she couldn't get rid of the bugs and varmints that plagued the building. She was giving her testimony; teary eyed, when the biggest cockroach I have ever seen crawled out of the neck of her dress, down her leg to the chair, and on to the floor. I think everyone in the room saw it; and we were all speechless! I ordered a quick recess.
    Have wings, will travel.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements