Sick of snow. Time for Sausage and Rapini Ravioli.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Sick of snow. Time for Sausage and Rapini Ravioli.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks

Sick of snow. Time for Sausage and Rapini Ravioli.

Some days, it just makes sense to stay inside where it's warm, and get some stuff done in the Kitchen.

I decided that after snow blowing the MIL's drive Sunday afternoon, dealing with her stupid as a post and constantly yapping Ratdogs, and a grumpy sneer as thanks, Today was that day.

Started with 6 cloves of Minced Garlic sauteed in EVOO, While Browning 1/2 lb Sausage in another Pan.

Then Deglazing the pan with 1 cup of Pinot, and adding a Medium sized bunch of Rapini.
    Vampires, and stray pathogens don't last long around here...Garlic goes into everything but Breakfast Cereal.

While the Rapini cooked down, the Sausage got drained, and chopped in the Mini-processor to a fine texture, and tossed in a mixing bowl with approx 1 cup of Grated 24 Month Asiago.

Once the Rapini gets nice and tender(Stems firm but not mushy)and Pinot has reduced enough that the pan appears dry,
    Set aside 1/2 to drain, Press dry in a kitchen towel, then chop fine and add to the Sausage and cheese.
    At that point, toss in a heavy three finger pinch of fresh(Frozen and shattered works too!) chopped Basil, The finger pinch of chopped Parsley, and a pinch of oregano, and add 2 Beaten eggs.
    Taste, and adjust salt at this point....yeah, yeah, yea....raw egg...call the Egg Police on me.;)

Spoon the mix into a 1 Gallon Ziplock and toss in the fridge to firm up. Leave an air gap in a corner, as you'll be snipping it off later for squeezing onto the Pasta.

For pasta I like to run 1/3 Semolina and 2/3 AP. 1 Cup of Semolina, 2 cups of AP, stirred in the bowl until blended and then sifted twice.
    It makes for a firmer Pasta with a higher Protein content, and still elastic enough to deal with getting stretched on the Ravioli press.
    I don't do Pasta machines or mixers. I can't get the feel for them, and Pasta dough is different every day you make it.
    3 cups of Flour needs 5 Eggs at room temp, and about a Tbsp of EVOO..and just a half pinch of salt.

I use the "Pollo Beccare" method. Pecking with the thumb and fingers, lifting a couple inches and dropping the egg back into the "Volcano", busting up the yolks, and drawing flour into the egg, until a slurry forms, and then pecking and swirling until the dough forms...then working the dough until relaxed but firm and tucked into a ball. The Ball is then put in a plastic bag for 30min. to even out at room temp.

It should look something like this. 90% worked, resting, and moisture evening out in the dough.

While resting...it Sauce time.

I like a good Sage and Garlic butter/cream sauce.
    Straight Pino Griggio or Orvieto Classico and Butter works too, but I like the garlic and sage for contrast.

1/2 stick of butter melted with 3 Tbsp of crushed or chopped Garlic.
    Sautee until garlic starts to brown, and the smell is intense.

Add 3-4 leaves of Sage..the big leaves, some are small so use your judgement and sneak up on it, as Sage can go from weak to overpowering with just a smidge.
    Add 1 cup of Pinot, 1/2 cup of cream, and simmer while stirring constantly while the wine is reduced, then set aside to cool.
    (Enjoy a glass of Pinot while stirring to pass the time.)

From there it's all about running the dough through the Atlas to #6 or #7 setting, and stuffing the pasta dough, and sprinkling the Ravioli with a dusting of Semolina to keep them from sticking to each other, while the waiter comes to a boil.

5Min. in the hot tub, and it's time.
    They will float fast, but go 5-6 Min.

Plate Ravioli on top of the reserved Rapini, spoon on 4-5 serving spoons of sauce, with a few good shaves of GOOD Imported Parmigiana Reggiano.

THEN top it all with a sprinkle of fresh Arugala, and a light drizzle of your best quality( We like Partana Sicilian single batch) Olive oil,
    and serve with a good salad.

Buon appetito!!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks
    Well I have officially gone against my surgeon's orders reading this wonderful post. As a Bariatric (Vertical Sleeve as of 12/19/2014) I am still restricted to a very high protein and extremely low carb/sugar diet. But this sounded wonderful and my mouth is watering.
    Dingeryote likes this.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Thanks
    Farmgirl will love it. As for me I have no idea what you created in the kitchen as I'm a junk food junkie who couldn't cook a thing to save my life.
    Dingeryote likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Wow, nice!
    I'm from the school of never too much garlic as well.
    Dingeryote likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    I've got to make my own pasta sometime. This post has pushed me over the edge, I'm going to try tonight.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

8. Top | #6
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    That looks and sounds absolutely FABULOUS!!! Thanks for such detail and photos!! I too may have to get into making my own pasta, before long.

I wasn't hungry when I began reading the forum, this morning, but I am NOW!!!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Although I'm not a pasta fan, let me compliment you on your delivery, creativity and artistic presentation.
    Have wings, will travel.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    Well there went my New Years resolution. That looks fabulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Uncle Wayne likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks all!!

Forgot to mention that the 5 Egg dough will yield more than enough Pasta for the amount of Ravioli fill, and there will be enough left over to make a second batch.

Just double the volume of the filling by 50% to make enough Ravioli for 4 people, or cut the dough volume in half and set aside for the next days 'Sghetti noodles or what have you.

Fresh Ravioli will refrigerate for a day, and can be frozen.
    Taking a day for a Ravioli Marathon, and freezing them makes for dozens of quick and easy meals all year.

My Favorite is Acorn Squash,Pear and Pistachio with Peccorino Toscana(Manchego will work too) cheese, in a Pumpkin and Marscapone sauce.
    Take forever to make, but it's worth the fuss in the end IMO.
    farmgirl19 likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Thanks
    Man o man....what time is dinner...I'll bring the wine
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast