Taco Soup and Cornbread Pancakes
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Taco Soup and Cornbread Pancakes

  1. Top | #1
    2LaneCruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,306
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 503 Times in 361 Posts

    Taco Soup and Cornbread Pancakes

    Sharn Jean made a pot of Taco Soup and a batch of Cornbread Pancakes last night, and it really hit the spot. It was so good, I thought I would share.

    TACO SOUP

    Ingredients

    2 pounds ground beef

    1 medium yellow onion, chopped

    1 package dry Ranch salad dressing mix

    1-16oz. can Ranch style beans

    1-16oz can pinto beans

    1-10oz. can of Rotel Tomatoes

    Fresh green chiles, to taste (chopped) or you can used a couple cans of canned green chiles. We use Hatch peppers which were roasted and frozen.

    1 package dry taco seasoning

    1 cup of whole kernel corn (add a 15 oz can if you like corn)

    2 or 3 -16oz. cans petite diced tomatoes (depending on how much soup you want)

    Brown Meat in stew pot, drain fat and add remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat until hot.

    If you're not a purist like me, you can serve over Frito Corn Chips topped with Cheddar cheese.

    CORNBREAD PANCAKES

    1 egg
    1 cup self rising flour
    1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
    1 Tbsp. sugar (optional)
    1/2 Tbsp. baking powder (you can leave this out, but it makes the cakes rise really nicely)
    Vegetable oil

    If you cannot buy self rising cornmeal and self rising flour in your area, use all purpose and add 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt.

    Combine ingredients in mixing bowl, mix well, and cook on hot griddle like you would ordinary pancakes. Serve hot topped with butter.
    Have wings, will travel.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    That Taco Soup recipe is similar to the one I posted, but mine cooks in the crock-pot while I am at work, so have a hearty soup ready when I get home!! If the weather is down, and I am stuck home, I like having all 4 burners going on the stove! Keeps me from going more batty than I am!!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  4. Top | #3
    2LaneCruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,306
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 503 Times in 361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    That Taco Soup recipe is similar to the one I posted, but mine cooks in the crock-pot while I am at work, so have a hearty soup ready when I get home!! If the weather is down, and I am stuck home, I like having all 4 burners going on the stove! Keeps me from going more batty than I am!!
    My apologies...I had forgotten that you had posted your Taco Soup recipe...and you are correct, the two are very close. I know one thing, I really liked it and will probably have some for lunch today. The Cornbread Pancakes weren't bad either; they make for a nice change.

    FWIW, I cooked my Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe for the Friday night dinner at the Elks Lodge last week. I must say that they were a big hit; lots of kudos all the way around. This is about my 5th time cooking for the Lodge; I have cooked baby backs 3 times (18 slabs each time), He Man Beef Stew once, and then the peppers. Sharn Jean cooked Enchiladas once. It is a new experience cooking for 50 or 60 people; the logistics present a new challenge for someone who isn't used to buying ribs by the case and tomatoes by the gallon. It's a lot of fun, but it does take a lot time but so far it's been very rewarding. Needless to say, I only go with my tried and true recipes.
    Uncle Wayne likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    No need to apologize. I like having different versions of the same foods! On work days, a crock-pot can be my very best friend. But if I am home on cold, miserable days, I love to cook things on the stove top! All is very tasty, IMO!!
    Bill Berger likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  7. Top | #5
    ddinham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Location
    Eastern Kansas
    Posts
    3,545
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 493 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    My apologies...I had forgotten that you had posted your Taco Soup recipe...and you are correct, the two are very close. I know one thing, I really liked it and will probably have some for lunch today. The Cornbread Pancakes weren't bad either; they make for a nice change.

    FWIW, I cooked my Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe for the Friday night dinner at the Elks Lodge last week. I must say that they were a big hit; lots of kudos all the way around. This is about my 5th time cooking for the Lodge; I have cooked baby backs 3 times (18 slabs each time), He Man Beef Stew once, and then the peppers. Sharn Jean cooked Enchiladas once. It is a new experience cooking for 50 or 60 people; the logistics present a new challenge for someone who isn't used to buying ribs by the case and tomatoes by the gallon. It's a lot of fun, but it does take a lot time but so far it's been very rewarding. Needless to say, I only go with my tried and true recipes.

    Next time you make the He Man Beef Stew, let me know and I will be there with bells on. Maybe a good meet up possibility for GTT members?????

    Dave
    farmgirl19 and 2LaneCruzer like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

  8. Top | #6
    flyweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 AM
    Location
    Louisiana, (southeast)
    Posts
    9,363
    Thanks
    820
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,194 Posts
    2LaneCruzer,
    I copied the Cornbread Pancake recipe and emailed it to the wife at work(for a hint). Sure sound to be good.
    Thanks for posting.
    Michael

    2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

    Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------
    " If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.










  9. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Location
    Joelton TN
    Posts
    19,772
    Thanks
    1,065
    Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,579 Posts

    Taco Soup and Cornbread Pancakes

    Sounds like we have a cook-off!!!!!

    This will be a tough contest to win, but gizmo and I will tough out the judging part.
    Uncle Wayne and farmgirl19 like this.
    - Jason

    GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

    Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

    2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

  10. Top | #8
    ddinham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Location
    Eastern Kansas
    Posts
    3,545
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 493 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Sounds like we have a cook-off!!!!!

    This will be a tough contest to win, but gizmo and I will tough out the judging part.

    Sorry, you and Gizmo2 are going to have to fight over the #2 judging slot. I already have the #1 slot.

    Dave
    dieselshadow and farmgirl19 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

  11. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Location
    Joelton TN
    Posts
    19,772
    Thanks
    1,065
    Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    Sorry, you and Gizmo2 are going to have to fight over the #2 judging slot. I already have the #1 slot.

    Dave
    I'm sorry, you must be mistaken. (It happens to gizmo all the time.) But the third slot is open. I'll pencil you in sir.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    - Jason

    GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

    Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

    2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

  12. Top | #10
    Tomfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,146
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 605 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    CORNBREAD PANCAKES

    1 egg
    1 cup self rising flour
    1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
    1 Tbsp. sugar (optional)
    1/2 Tbsp. baking powder (you can leave this out, but it makes the cakes rise really nicely)
    Vegetable oil

    If you cannot buy self rising cornmeal and self rising flour in your area, use all purpose and add 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt.

    Combine ingredients in mixing bowl, mix well, and cook on hot griddle like you would ordinary pancakes. Serve hot topped with butter.
    This sounds interesting, and thanks for posting ... but am I missing something? how much corn meal should I be using? Or is it cornmeal OR flour?

    Thanks.
    Tom

    2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •