• 1 Post By farmgirl19

Thread: Homemade Sausage

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks

Homemade Sausage

Anyone make sausage? Wife and I got together with my son and his wife @ there place on Saturday to make 50# of salami (no i in the pronunciation). Recipe was from aunt in the mid-west town in Illinois where I grew. Local grocery stores would make it on occasion and sell it over the counter. It should be stuffed in a 2.5 to 3" natural casing but this is all we found. It went slow @ first as we were using stuffers that attach to mixers. When we broke for lunch after the first 10#'s and while they ate I drove to Cabela's and picked up a 20# vertical stuffer. Wow, very easy so the rest went much faster. One week in the frig to dry and cure and then vacuum pack it.
    We plan on doing Italian and Polish in the near future . My mom would boiled a few, then 1/2" slices served on buttered white bread with celery stalks . . . . mmm!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0344.JPG   IMG_0983.JPG  
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Looks mighty delicious!! Maybe I'll just have to get one of those Frontier 3pt. sausage makers for my 1026.
    BigJim55 and blue87fj60 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    If you have a slaughterhouse close by, they will often give you the hog intestines from a fresh slaughter to use for the casing. A good friend makes all of his own sausage from the deer he and his kids and grandkids get each season. He was wanting to buy "hog guts" from the facility, but they give it to him. Might be worth looking into around there.

You will never want store bought sausage again, after making your own. And, in the initial few times of making it, you will tweak the seasonings a little, until you find what is perfect for you!

Looks good!!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    If you have a slaughterhouse close by, they will often give you the hog intestines from a fresh slaughter to use for the casing. A good friend makes all of his own sausage from the deer he and his kids and grandkids get each season. He was wanting to buy "hog guts" from the facility, but they give it to him. Might be worth looking into around there.

You will never want store bought sausage again, after making your own. And, in the initial few times of making it, you will tweak the seasonings a little, until you find what is perfect for you!

Looks good!!
    farmgirl ; I didn't think anybody still scrapped or I guess remembered that part of butcher day, only both of my grand mothers would do this job when I was young, reason was because my aunts would put holes in casings to get out of this job. big sissys!! is what grand parents would say. they didn't like turning them inside out to scrape them back then. as kids our job was cutting up fat for lard, lots of bawling when some one cut their fingers. I loved butcher day all my uncles fought over the tongue and jaw meat after it was cooked.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements