Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree324Likes

Thread: new smoker

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I’ve been using Jeff’s method for two seasons now, definitely not competition ribs but no better way to make them IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have never tried those particular methods...I cook mine over direct heat for about 2 and 1/2 hours and I'm done...besides I like mine nice and brown, and the extra smoking time doesn't hurt either.

I used to work with a guy who had a little carry out BBQ restaurant that he ran on the side; he made some of the best spare ribs I have ever eaten. His method was pretty much the way I cook mine, but for one exception. He told me that about half way through the smoking process, he took his ribs out and let them cool to about room temperature and then put them back in to finish them. He said this sealed the smoke flavor in. I have never had the patience to do this, but I think he knew what he was talking about. He also told me that he cooked large batches and froze them. The secret he said, after thawing, was to heat them up very slowly, and that way they retained their just-cooked taste and appearance and were not greasy, as ribs often are after reheating.
    Last edited by 2LaneCruzer; 12-02-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmichael View Post
    I had a little to much seasoning on them which made them a little salty but they were very tender and had good flavor
    Pretty good start; a couple more times and you'll have it down. If you get enthusiastic, you might try my #2 Rubb; it is formulated NOT to be too salty or too sweet or too hot. I use it pretty generously, and for my own use, usually add a bit more garlic. Pork loves garlic!

I also have enough BBQ spice of different brands in my cabinet to BBQ a herd of cattle. I tried a lot of different stuff before I ended up making my own. Biggest complaint was too spicy hot and too salty. I personally do not like my BBQ to taste sweet, so I ended up with my own mix.
    Have wings, will travel.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

bmichael (12-02-2018)

5. Top | #13

Last Online
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Thanks
    Once you get the hang of it, you'll start smoking everything!! During the warmer months, I'll use my smoker 3 times per week (or more). Sweetie likes chicken and we eat it multiple times per week. I go to our local meat market and buy leg/thigh quarters. I don't have them separate the leg from the thigh - I think the bigger piece of meat stays a lot juicier. Smoke them skin side down for a couple of hours and you'll have some of the juiciest chicken ever.

Sometimes with my ribs, I will finish them off on the grill. Sweetie likes it when I mix in some brown sugar into some BBQ sauce and then I'll put that on the ribs when I put them on the grill. The grilling is mainly just to caramelize the sauce on the ribs. MMMM, Good!!

I saw a guy on "the other tractor forum" that does smoked meat loaf. I'm going to give that a try sometime soon (I hope).
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (01-31-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #14
    GSM

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 10:39 PM
    Thanks
    Congratulations on getting that smoker. I have one of the original non-digital models that I love. The ability of it to take a heat setting and keep it exactly constant without constant fussing is a real plus. My favorites are maple-brined turkey and apple wood smoked salmon, but brisket also turns out very nice.
    bmichael and PJR832 like this.
    Glenn

Deere 1025R, w/120R loader & 260B backhoe
    Sabre w/46" blade
    47 blower
    Innovative Tractor Attachments Grapple
    Clamp-on toothbar
    4P cart

9. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Thanks

brisket

got the brisket all trimmed up and in the smoker Im using pecan wood and 2lcs butt rub seasoning thanks to Kenny for all the helpful information next time I will have your special seasoning to try
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0101191324-00.jpg   0101191329-00.jpg   0101191356-00.jpg  
    brian
    2016 2032r, h130 fel, 62d mmm, ballast box, frontier box blade bb20065,jd I match quick hitch, frontier land plane lp1160, jd independent mower lift, kens bolt on hooks, artillian forks and front hoe bucket, r2 3" edge tamer tarter 6 foot land rake

1989 jd 826 walk behind snow blower

10. Top | #16

Last Online
    Thanks
    Nice "before" pic!! What about the "after" pics?????

Care to share the particulars on the brisket and the cook? How big was it? Cooking temp and time? Internal temp when you took it off?

Step-son did a brisket last weekend on his BGE. Looked great, but he said it was a little dry. He took his up to 205 degrees before he took it off. He did wrap it in foil around 170 degrees.

I've tried briskets a couple of times - once on my BGE and once using my gas grill as a smoker. Wasn't happy with either attempt. And a brisket is a pretty expensive failure.
    pappa, PJR832 and bvbearcat like this.
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. Top | #17
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post

Care to share the particulars on the brisket and the cook? How big was it? Cooking temp and time? Internal temp when you took it off?

Step-son did a brisket last weekend on his BGE. Looked great, but he said it was a little dry. He took his up to 205 degrees before he took it off. He did wrap it in foil around 170 degrees.

I've tried briskets a couple of times - once on my BGE and once using my gas grill as a smoker. Wasn't happy with either attempt. And a brisket is a pretty expensive failure.
    Did he let it rest before cutting? Also, I've heard you have to be mind the grain when you are cutting the brisket as well, as that makes a huge difference.
    mark02tj and PJR832 like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

12. Top | #18

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yup - he let it rest. Don't remember the exact amount of time, but it was an hour or two.
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. Top | #19
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post

That's pretty much been my experience with brisket. Last one I cooked was really good; next one I cook I will use the same method...basically as follows:

Select the highest grade of beef you can get...prime, if it's available. I wouldn't ever go below a choice.

Cover brisket in sugar and put in a baking bag over night.

Remove sugar (rinse quickly and dry, or just scrape all you can get off).

Cover with BBQ rub, and cook at 250 degrees indirect heat until 195 to 200 degrees. Remove, cover with aluminum foil and allow to set for a couple hours.
    farmgirl19 and mark02tj like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

14. Top | #20
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks
    Looks like a good jerky smoker!

I'm not a fan of those, but I'm a fan of free!
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast