Coffee,, black,, Thank You,, Which one!!?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Coffee,, black,, Thank You,, Which one!!??

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 03:19 PM
    Thanks
    I get beans from a local roaster in Cranberry TWP. PA. I'm not the coffee connoisseur that JimR is but I savor a freshly ground blend of various Arabica beans. Usually a blend of Colombian Supremo; a mild Costa Rican and an Ethiopian Sidamo. A dark roast pushes the flavor profile and sometimes I'll opt for a medium roast of those same beans, less the African beans.
    My taste varies too at times. If I want a smooth cup I'll use the french press but most of the time it's the Bunn.
    Last edited by PaDave; 12-20-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    As I only drink one cup at a time (or per day) I wanted a small volume method,,

The videos of the crud that grows in the Keurig machines scared me away from those,,,

So, for now, I purchased one of these from Walmart, and heat the water in the microwave,,,

I always measure the water temp, and adjust it to 195 degrees,,,

I do "pre-wet" the grounds with about a tablespoon of water, while waiting for the water to heat,,,

We have a tiny microwave,, to heat 12 ounces of water, it takes 3 minutes,,,

Ahhhh yes the Keurig. We are on our second one. The first lasted 6 years, actually it is still working, but is now our in our camper. The one we have now is not quite a year old. It is much more high tech with a touch screen, etc. We have well water that is filtered with the tightest filter I can get. I think in 6 years, we descaled the first Keurig once. This new one has been descaled once already. We also have had "pressure" problem messages showing up on the screen with grounds blown all over the inside, a real PITA to clean up. I finally called Keurig and as soon as they heard "well water", they had the solution. The new machines have so many sensors, they don't recommend using well water. So I started buying jugs of water from the grocery store and the problem has stopped, almost immediately. I'm so happy to buy water filters, then have to buy jugged water.....NOT! But Mrs. CP needs her morning cup of coffee, 7 days a week.

CADplans....what is that contraption in the pic?
    CADplans, PJR832 and Fozsey like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

4. Top | #13

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    This is great info, I may have to print this post and put it in my wallet,,,

I guess I really hate high temp roasted coffee,,,

Lots of people will tell you that Starbuck's "regular" coffee tastes bitter and/or burnt to them. That burnt flavoring is because they are roasting so much coffee that they turn up the heat to get it done faster. If you try a cup of their "regular" and a cup of their "mild" you can really taste the difference. They are both made with the exact same beans but the regular is roasted at a 50 degree higher temp.

When you're doing your own roasting all the science behind it gets pretty heavy. Different sugars within the beans melt (caramelize) at different temps so you can play with things and adjust the flavor profiles of different beans.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    I’m not cad but I can answer the question. It called a “pour over” brewer. You manually pour the water thru the grounds in the upper(filter) part and the coffee is collected below. As he describes he can use precisely the water temp he wants (hot) and it brews fast so the coffee is the best it can be.

If, and it’s very infrequently, I lower myself to going to Starbucks I always get something they have to make via pour-over, it’s the only way I can stand to have their coffee brewed.
    Last edited by balrog006; 12-20-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to balrog006 For This Useful Post:

CADplans†(12-20-2018), ColonyPark†(12-20-2018)

8. Top | #15

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks

It is basically a miniature "Mr Coffee" coffee maker, without the tank, or heater,,
    you heat your own water, and pour it over the grounds,,

They come in several sizes,, I think the one I own is a 4 cup size, or 24 OZ of coffee.
    The max I make is 12 OZ..

The thing is barely larger than a coffee mug,, and the screen is "permanent", no paper filters needed,,,

I hate "stuff" on the kitchen counter,, I tossed 3 cans of baked beans, now, there is room in the cabinet to store it,,,

AND, the coffee costs about (I guess) 1/20th of what most Keurig cups cost,,, (Did I mention I am CHEAP!!?? )

That mini-maker cost about $10 at Walmart,,,
    ColonyPark, PaDave and Fozsey like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(12-20-2018)

10. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    Meh, I drink Folgers or the free stuff at work.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

11. Top | #17
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Ahhhh yes the Keurig. We are on our second one. The first lasted 6 years, actually it is still working, but is now our in our camper. The one we have now is not quite a year old. It is much more high tech with a touch screen, etc. We have well water that is filtered with the tightest filter I can get. I think in 6 years, we descaled the first Keurig once. This new one has been descaled once already. We also have had "pressure" problem messages showing up on the screen with grounds blown all over the inside, a real PITA to clean up. I finally called Keurig and as soon as they heard "well water", they had the solution. The new machines have so many sensors, they don't recommend using well water. So I started buying jugs of water from the grocery store and the problem has stopped, almost immediately. I'm so happy to buy water filters, then have to buy jugged water.....NOT! But Mrs. CP needs her morning cup of coffee, 7 days a week.

Not related to the Kerrig things but water - while reading this interesting thread I thought about the water used. To me water from different sources tastes different - so I am sure your coffee would taste different. I have spring water in my house - I canít stand the city water when I go to Wendyís so I always bring my own. Iíve never tasted bottled water so donít know about that.

I love my coffee. Ever since I quit drinking beer about 12 years ago Iíve really come to like it. Have tried quite a few different brands but have settled on Tim Hortonís the past few years. Nothing comes close for me.

When out on a road trip I like to get my mug full of coffee for the long ride home. I have a heck of a time finding coffee I like. I used to get Sheetz coffee (local mini mart chain) but since about a couple years ago I canít stand it. Donít know what changed. So now in the town where we usually go for groceries I tried a GetGo mini mart - their signature blend works for me.

In another town where we go to a lot of doctor visits I end up going to Eat n Park restaurant on the way out just for my travel coffee - very good.

I donít know what blend my Tim Hortonís coffee is but oh so good for me!
    ColonyPark, PaDave, jdmich and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #18
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    Dunkin original baby, or bust.
    ColonyPark, PaDave, jdmich and 2 others like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

13. Top | #19
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,045 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Currently, Folgers Black Silk K-Cups, cream and sugar.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

14. Top | #20
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozsey View Post
    Dunkin original baby, or bust.
    Before I got into the Tim Hortonís it was Dunkin Donuts for me also. I had to buy it 400 miles away when on my mail run but now I see they have it at Walmart.

Regular ground coffee is getting harder to find. I wanted to get my wifeís dad a selection of coffee for Christmas. I couldnít find Green Mountain anywhere in ground bags - ended up having to order from Amazon. Here to find out that Keurig now ownís Green Mountain. I have no interest in those single cup coffee maker things and neither does her dad.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast