Coffee,, black,, Thank You,, Which one!!??
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Coffee,, black,, Thank You,, Which one!!??

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks

Coffee,, black,, Thank You,, Which one!!??

I have recently decided to cut back on my sugar consumption,,
    so, the sugar had to go out of the occasional coffee that I drink,,

In the past, I drank black coffee in the Navy (1970's) and I drank it black, no "additives" ,, and I really liked it!!

Well, after deleting the sugar,, (no milk, cream or anything else,,) I found that I hated coffee,,

Over the past couple weeks, I have purchased over a half dozen 12 ounce bags of various coffee's,
    I hated ALL of them,,

I tried no less than 5 different brewing techniques,, everything was a failure,,,

Well, two days ago, I decided to try one more,,
    it is Breakfast Blend from New England Coffee Company,, from Walmart,,

The coffee was perfect on the first attempt!!

Then, I noticed,, the coffee grounds did not "smell"

I quickly checked the scent of the other coffee bags,, yep, they all had a strong essential oil scent,,
    The smell is so strong, it is overwhelming,,,

So, I think I found MY issue,
    the different coffee brands are trying to differentiate themselves with essential oil or some other additive that changes the coffee.
    I was not bothered by the scent, as long as I covered it with sugar,, etc,,,

Are you a black coffee drinker? Does this scent in some coffee bother you??

I am glad I found a "plain" coffee,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I have recently decided to cut back on my sugar consumption,,
    so, the sugar had to go out of the occasional coffee that I drink,,

In the past, I drank black coffee in the Navy (1970's) and I drank it black, no "additives" ,, and I really liked it!!

Well, after deleting the sugar,, (no milk, cream or anything else,,) I found that I hated coffee,,

Over the past couple weeks, I have purchased over a half dozen 12 ounce bags of various coffee's,
    I hated ALL of them,,

I tried no less than 5 different brewing techniques,, everything was a failure,,,

Well, two days ago, I decided to try one more,,
    it is Breakfast Blend from New England Coffee Company,, from Walmart,,

The coffee was perfect on the first attempt!!

Then, I noticed,, the coffee grounds did not "smell"

I quickly checked the scent of the other coffee bags,, yep, they all had a strong essential oil scent,,
    The smell is so strong, it is overwhelming,,,

the different coffee brands are trying to differentiate themselves with essential oil or some other additive that changes the coffee.

Yep went through the same process about 25 years ago, then again when I stopped smoking over 10 years ago. Stopped cold with milk and sugar. Then realized my coffee tasted like crap black. Was using folgers at the time. I love coffee always have. So the search went on for what ever I was looking for. Tried many blends and no so blends over the years, even tried to grind my own for a while. I ended up with Seattles best and/or Gevalia dark when I can find it, if not neither one of them I will use eight O'Clock #5 dark blend. Both are number 5 very dark blend. I like it strong, most people that has tried my coffee that puts milk and sugar in it does not like it. To me, all others now taste like colored water now.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    They aren't adding anything unless you are buying "flavored" coffee (like that hazelnut garbage!).

I roast my own beans. The oils you see (and smell) are different depending on where the bean was grown, the temps that particular season, etc.. AND by how the beans are roasted. If you roast faster with higher heat, you get more oils to separate from the bean. Roast slower with less heat and less oils come free. But those oils are all there within every coffee bean to begin with.

The New England Coffee Company Breakfast Blend is what is called a "mild" blend coffee. To get that they mix beans from many locations (Africa, South America and Central America) and roast them with a medium roast. If you took the same beans and kept them separate and roasted the African beans alone, you'd get a very different cup of coffee from a medium roasted Central American bean.

So that's your blend. Any time you are looking, look for a label that says it is a combination of African, Central and South American beans with a medium roast. Another brand that has Indonesian beans or is missing the African beans will taste (and smell) different.

I do a mix of 40% Columbian beans with 60% beans from Costa Rica over a medium roast and it is almost a perfect match for Dunkin' Donuts coffee.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

CADplans (12-20-2018), mark02tj (12-21-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    I love the smell and taste of coffee. I have drank decaf for 20 years and have always drank it black. Within the last 5 years, my at home brewed coffee has started to taste very bitter to me. It's funny that CADplans tried the different brewing techniques, as I have thought about doing that. At home we use a Keurig. To combat the bitterness, I add creamer, usually half an half, and only enough to take the bitterness out, but never any sugar, yuck.

Occasionally we eat lunch in a coffee shop, and the decaf coffee is not bitter at all, tastes so good to me. I have attributed it to using a professional/commercial grade coffee pot. I don't have to put an creamer in it. Recently (it hasn't even arrived yet) I ordered a decaf sampler pack from Keurig.com. Several of the reviews noted how smooth and non bitter the coffeed were. I'm hoping the best, as I really just prefer black decaf coffee.

FWIW, I only drink coffee at home on the weekends. My everyday go to is decaf green tea with honey.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    I drink coffee black and after trying a few different kinds have settled on the bags of dunkin donuts coffee that they sell at BJ's. People say I make it strong but I want it to have some taste and not just be hot, dark water.

I don't like the Starbucks or most other fashionable coffee house coffee's, they are too bitter for me.

I can also put up with Wawa Columbian with a quick shot of their Hazelnut coffee when on the road.
    CADplans, PJR832 and Fozsey like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with JimR, nothing has actually been added to those coffees-if it were they would have to disclose it-and if there is no disclosure listing an additive or flavoring, then they’re violating the law or not adding a thing.

He also correct the fact that different beans roasted different (and brewing) will greatly vary the end product.

You don’t mention the method you settled on for brewing but done improperly it can be make or break and turn excellent grounds into terrible undrinkable liquid.

-You want to brew fast, the less time the water is in contact with the ground the less of the deeper(bitter) flavors are extracted. There are multiple compounds within coffee and they are stripped by water at different rates, the best flavors are the fastest and the worst are slowest-if you want the best flavors your bean can give you you need to make sure the water stays in contact with them as little time as possible. Time does not =stronger coffee.

-You want to brew hot, 200-205+F. Not quite boiling but just under that-this will also extract only the light fast, sweet flavors from coffee and give you the best tasting brew. This also lets you brew fast so you can accomplish the above.

Find a method or machine that brews fast and at the proper temp and you will have even better coffee from your preferred roast.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to balrog006 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (12-20-2018)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Thanks
    I normally drink one cup of coffee a day with breakfast. One k-cup, some sugar free powdered coffee-mate creamer, a dash of cinnamon, one packet of Splenda. I drop in an ice cube to cool it off some, stir, drink.
    Last edited by jimmylh; 12-20-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    You don’t mention the method you settled on for brewing but done improperly it can be make or break and turn excellent grounds into terrible undrinkable liquid.

-You want to brew fast,
    As I only drink one cup at a time (or per day) I wanted a small volume method,,

The videos of the crud that grows in the Keurig machines scared me away from those,,,

So, for now, I purchased one of these from Walmart, and heat the water in the microwave,,,

I always measure the water temp, and adjust it to 195 degrees,,,

I do "pre-wet" the grounds with about a tablespoon of water, while waiting for the water to heat,,,

We have a tiny microwave,, to heat 12 ounces of water, it takes 3 minutes,,,
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    As I only drink one cup at a time (or per day) I wanted a small volume method,,

The videos of the crud that grows in the Keurig machines scared me away from those,,,

So, for now, I purchased one of these from Walmart, and heat the water in the microwave,,,

I always measure the water temp, and adjust it to 195 degrees,,,

I do "pre-wet" the grounds with about a tablespoon of water, while waiting for the water to heat,,,

We have a tiny microwave,, to heat 12 ounces of water, it takes 3 minutes,,,
    Sounds like a home run on both accounts to me
    CADplans and Fozsey like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    They aren't adding anything unless you are buying "flavored" coffee (like that hazelnut garbage!).

I roast my own beans. The oils you see (and smell) are different depending on where the bean was grown, the temps that particular season, etc.. AND by how the beans are roasted. If you roast faster with higher heat, you get more oils to separate from the bean. Roast slower with less heat and less oils come free. But those oils are all there within every coffee bean to begin with.

The New England Coffee Company Breakfast Blend is what is called a "mild" blend coffee. To get that they mix beans from many locations (Africa, South America and Central America) and roast them with a medium roast. If you took the same beans and kept them separate and roasted the African beans alone, you'd get a very different cup of coffee from a medium roasted Central American bean.

So that's your blend. Any time you are looking, look for a label that says it is a combination of African, Central and South American beans with a medium roast. Another brand that has Indonesian beans or is missing the African beans will taste (and smell) different.

I do a mix of 40% Columbian beans with 60% beans from Costa Rica over a medium roast and it is almost a perfect match for Dunkin' Donuts coffee.
    This is great info, I may have to print this post and put it in my wallet,,,

I guess I really hate high temp roasted coffee,,,

ColonyPark, PJR832 and Fozsey like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast